Delay Plugins

Here's where to talk about preamps, cables, microphones, monitors, etc.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Here's where to talk about preamps, cables, microphones, monitors, etc.
ronjams
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Delay Plugins

Post by ronjams »

Like many others I have most of the delays mentioned however I find that the PSP 608 seems to have the longest delay times for use with vocal effect. I agree that the delays that are found in Dp can get the job done but the eventide sounds more natural and smooth and of course the are others but I have to say the Roland SDE Delay unit is my favorite(hardware).
Mac Studio M1 Max DIGITAL PERFORMER1248/8pre ESFalcon/kontakt/Unify & A LOT MORE GEAR
billf

Post by billf »

mhschmieder wrote:Where are the delays in the Eventide plugs? I just checked their website and don't see any. I'll be launching DP shortly though, so I'll recheck Ultraverb. I don't remember it having Delays, and Ultrachannel looks like a channel strip.

There is a Delay module on the UltraReverb that can be toggled On or Off, or Pre, or Post

MacPro5,1 2012, six core 2 x 3.06, 10.12.5, Digital Performer 9.13, 40 gb ram, 828mkIII, 2408 mkII, MTP AV, Logic Pro X 10.3.1, Studio One v 3.2, Pro Tools 12.7.1
billf

Post by billf »

monkey man wrote:Oh, and I think the delay is in the UltraChannel plug. Haven't tried it yet, but I seem to recall someone's saying something about this. I'm probably wrong 'though, 'cause I'd expect a delay to typically be in a 'verb plug; I mean, it's "crude" 'verb after all, algorithmically speaking.

Then again, a precision delay is arguably a channel utility, and it could be an extension of that...
Yep, both the Eventide UltraChannel and UltraReverb have Delay modules included Monkster.
MacPro5,1 2012, six core 2 x 3.06, 10.12.5, Digital Performer 9.13, 40 gb ram, 828mkIII, 2408 mkII, MTP AV, Logic Pro X 10.3.1, Studio One v 3.2, Pro Tools 12.7.1
Tritonemusic

Post by Tritonemusic »

billf wrote:
There is a Delay module on the UltraReverb that can be toggled On or Off, or Pre, or Post
Interesting. I don't have the reverb, so I was unaware. As far as placement of the delay in UltraChannel, that entire plug is modular and the order of effects can be changed simply by dragging a module to another part of the interface (you probably know this already, but I thought I'd mention it in case it would help someone else).
DP 10.13, OS 13.6, iMac Pro (2017) 3.2 GHz 8-Core, 32 GB RAM, MOTU M4
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

Oh, thanks; I never realized the Delay Module could be effectively used as a standalone delay sans reverb! It's probably in the user manual, but I've bought so many plug-ins these past six months that I haven't had time to dig into all of the associated documentation except for a few of them so far.

Given how well the Delay Module of Ultraverb works in the context of their reverbs, it would not surprise me if it also serves as one of the best Delay plug-ins on its own. I find Ultraverb to be the easiest-to-mix reverb on the market right now. It's pretty hard to get bad results with it.
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.6, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

Interesting about Ultrachannel; I thought that delay was likely for correcting phase/timing issues. Sometimes I download manuals of products I don't own (when available) to study what they can do. This often helps me decide whether to buy a product. Looks like I may need to put that one on my list, for its interesting combination an d routine flexibility.

I corrected my post for "Replika" vs. "Reflektor". I easily get confused by Native Instruments produkt names. :-)
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.6, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
billf

Post by billf »

mhschmieder wrote:Oh, thanks; I never realized the Delay Module could be effectively used as a standalone delay sans reverb! It's probably in the user manual, but I've bought so many plug-ins these past six months that I haven't had time to dig into all of the associated documentation except for a few of them so far.

Given how well the Delay Module of Ultraverb works in the context of their reverbs, it would not surprise me if it also serves as one of the best Delay plug-ins on its own. I find Ultraverb to be the easiest-to-mix reverb on the market right now. It's pretty hard to get bad results with it.
Here's the description of the Delay from the UltraReverb manual:
3.5 Delay Section
As mentioned previously, this plug-in offers two independent delay lines with filtering. Use them as straight delays or add filtering for use as echo effects. Delays can be routed pre-reverb, post-reverb, or completely bypassed using the on/off switch in the top right corner of the delay section. The 6 parameters are defined below in groups of two (left and right) to reduce redundancy.

3.5.1 Delay Pre/Post/Off
Pre or Post determines whether the delayed signal is added to the signal path before or after the reverb algorithm. It is never in series with the reverb, only added in parallel before or after (See Figure 3.2). Turning delay off is equivalent to setting Delay Level to -infinity.
Gravity Jim

Post by Gravity Jim »

I'll mention it since it hasn't been: I use Waves SuperTap a lot. It sounds good, has plenty of depth (individual EQ on each tap, feedback percentage, placement of each delay on a panning stage, etc), and runs lean on the CPU.
Jim Bordner

MacPro 5,1 (3.33Ghz 12-core), 32g RAM, OS X 10.14.6 • MOTU DP 10.11 • Logic Pro X 10.2.5 • Waves Platinum, UAD-2, Slate Digital, Komplete, Omnisphere 2, LASS, CineSamples, Chipsounds, V Collection 5[color]
Tobor

Post by Tobor »

Again, to clarify, to get only Delay in the Ultrareverb, make sure the little power button is on and is set to 'Post'. I was a little confused on this the other day as I had it in 'Pre' and the Delay turned off when I turned off the Reverb. Played with it for quite a while yesterday. Quite versatile and lovely sounding.

I also put it at the end of a chain after the new Waves Butch Vig Vocals plug (no effects but extensive EQ, Distortion, and filtering) and the Manny Marroquin Delay (which also has Reverb, Doubler, Phaser, and Distortion). Pinning the processor with just a few more plugs and Stylus and Omnisphere, but wow what possibilities!
iMac 2.7 i5, DP 9.5.1, 10.13.3, Apollo Twin, 828, MTPAV, Toontrack, Spectrasonics, BFD3, Drumcore, Reason 10, Live 10, Logic X, Spitfire, Zebra, Miroslav, Waves, Kronos X, MOXF 6, Axiom 49.
BKK-OZ

Post by BKK-OZ »

I'm not in front of the computer right now, but I am a delay nut, a few off the top of my head:

- Rob Papen delay (great sound and flexibility, but I hate their preset browsing)
- Fab Filter Timeless (takes some effort to understand their UI, but if you want complex delays...)
- U-He More Feedback Machine (the name says it all)
- Waves Super Tap (simple, yummy)
- Artificial Audio Obelisk and Quartz (not really 'delays' in the traditonal sense, but think multi-mode filter/delay/etc.)

Edit: Eventide Blackhole
Last edited by BKK-OZ on Mon Mar 30, 2015 3:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Cheers,
BK

…string theory says that all subatomic particles of the universe are nothing but musical notes. A, B-flat, C-sharp, correspond to electrons, neutrinos, quarks, and what have you. Therefore, physics is nothing but the laws of harmony of these strings. Chemistry is nothing but the melodies we can play on these strings. The universe is a symphony of strings and the mind of God… it is cosmic music resonating through 11 dimensional hyperspace.
- M Kaku
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

I forgot about Eventide Blackhole. I think I downloaded a demo a few years ago and ran out of time before it expired. Their website is a bit intimidating at times, but I'll have another go at it, as I'm curious to get a better understanding of their product tiers.

billf

Post by billf »

mhschmieder wrote:I forgot about Eventide Blackhole. I think I downloaded a demo a few years ago and ran out of time before it expired. Their website is a bit intimidating at times, but I'll have another go at it, as I'm curious to get a better understanding of their product tiers.
Here's the link for Blackhole

http://www.eventide.com/AudioDivision/P ... khole.aspx
BKK-OZ

Post by BKK-OZ »

Eventide's Blackhole is a weird beast.

Great for long delays with long trails, not so much for rhythmic stuff.
(At least not compared to my other delays.)

I often put it on something, play around with it, then end up going with a 'verb instead.

If you want spacey, big cavernous sounds, then Blackhole is for you, simpler sounds don't seem to be its forte.

Of course, that could be just my own use so far...
Cheers,
BK

…string theory says that all subatomic particles of the universe are nothing but musical notes. A, B-flat, C-sharp, correspond to electrons, neutrinos, quarks, and what have you. Therefore, physics is nothing but the laws of harmony of these strings. Chemistry is nothing but the melodies we can play on these strings. The universe is a symphony of strings and the mind of God… it is cosmic music resonating through 11 dimensional hyperspace.
- M Kaku
philbrown

Post by philbrown »

I use Echoboy, Blue Tubes Oilcan delay, PSP 42 and UAD's Echoplex and Cooper Time Cube.
2020 iMac 27" 3.6GHz 10 core i9 • Mac OS 12.2.1 • DP 11.04 • UAD-8 Octo card • Midas M32R

Plugs: UAD•Slate•Scuffham•Flux IRCAM•NI Komplete•Klanghelm•Waves•Spectrasonics•Arturia•Soundtoys•Nomad Factory•PSP•Stillwell•Cytomic•Korg•Five12•GForce
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

Hey, I'm just curious about the under-the-hood things that make these delays different, i.e., one better than another.

Setting aside the fact that all delays basically do one thing: i.e., repeat the input-- what are the other kinds of qualities that you look for in a delay?

For example, there are tape & tube saturation emulations which might bandpass and distort the taps and perhaps add some wow. And some offer smear/diffusion to blur transients. Some have various filters. Some offer feedback networks that can add taps to specific taps. And panning, to localize various taps (and taps of taps) in the panorama.

Other factors might include a nice UI, and ability to adjust in a range/resolution that is useful.

But with the sound itself, are there other factors that can be identified-- you know beyond, "warmth" "girth" "air" "shimmer" "sparkle" "envelopment" etc.?
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com