BPM and Akai Renaissance controller...a good marraige?

Moderators: James Steele, ssp

Keys BeMe
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

BPM and Akai Renaissance controller...a good marraige?

Post by Keys BeMe »

Well Akai, with the announcement of their new hybrid sample beat machines in the Renaissance and Studio, is all the buzz after NAMM 012. Of course these new units will have their own dedicated software to drive beat production. However there's concern that Akai, who doesn't have a good reputation when it comes to software development and support, may drop the ball in this department. We also know that BPM at v1.5, still has some issues and updates it needs to address as well. But it still may be more robust in features and useability than MPC's software offering. More to my point, gearheads and beatmakers alike are still going to buy and support the Renaissance and Studio just because of these seven letters, "A K A I M P C". They did it with the 500 and the 5000 and most of us know the beatmaking communities general views regarding these units :? :x .

Since the MPC Studio and Renaissance (in particular the Ren because of additional controls like 16 Q link knobs) are going to allow MIDI mapping, combined with BPM's ability to map to an external MIDI controller, I wonder what the viability and user workflow of BPM's software would be like married to one of these controllers? It doesn't appear that Motu is interested in creating a hardware interface to compliment BPM and the other hardware option presently available to BPM users (for the most part imo) - really isn't one.

From the lack of activity in this forum (even after all the NAMM news) and silence from motu regarding any updates beyond v1.5, I'm not sure if anyone even cares about BPM at this point. In spite of some of its shortcomings, It's actually excellent software with a bangin' soundset- especially if you have 1.5. The software just needs some "TLC" and it still could be the best 'dedicated for beat production' software on the market. What do you guys think? :roll:
TRIPLE THREAT PRODUCTIONS

"Don't make excuses, Make it happen"
chrisma

Re: BPM and Akai Renaissance controller...a good marraige?

Post by chrisma »

I think BPM is excellent at what it does. It's advanced workstation like a Motif, Phantom or MPC. Just needs a few more tweaks and it will work just as it was designed and marketed to. I've been a big advocate for using other third plugins in BPM (and I still would like that) but as long as UVI keeps putting out stellar libraries (and I can afford them LOL) BPM will always produce great results for me as is. BUUUUUUUT!

MPC Ren is really shaping up to something I hoped BPM would be. But we will see. Until I'm sticking with BPM. There is nothing else like BPM's step sequencer and drum synth...amazing, just amazing. Once everything is straight with chopping and slicing with pitch/time stretching on the pads you really could still get it done with BPM. I think more people than MOTU thought wanted BPM to have more standalone functionality like a MPC. But that is kinda how MOTU marketed it. I say give BPM MIDI out from the racks (if not VST support completely) and fix ALL know bugs and they would make a lot of people happy. I think MOTU/UVI needs to highlight the new M3 engine and libraries. BPM really shines in this regard. They also should offer more specials and discounts to BPM/M3 owners. There really is no community for these products and I think people want to see more of what people are doing with BPM to really give it more a name.
World Class Major Label Quality Music Production - UrbanMultiTracks.com
http://www.urbanmultitracks.com/

Music Production, Mixing & Mastering - ChrismaProductions.com
http://www.chrismaproductions.com/
Cairns
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by Cairns »

I agree.. I think BPM could use some tweaks, but overall its my go to sound set.. Just because of that.. UVI is amazing when it comes to those sounds.. However as for MPC REN.. I'm sure it will pull away some BPM users and NI maschine users due to the founding fore-father of production (Besides E-MU drumlators an SP) of loyal akai users.. However you do have a good point MPC REN and BPM would be a true beast together
Music is a moral law,
it gives wings to the mind,
a soul to the universe,
flight to the imagination,
a charm to sadness,
a life to everything,
Plato 400 B.C.
elohimfetus

Post by elohimfetus »

Feature & Performance wise BPM is excellent software. I will not mention the bugs, as I am downloading 1.5.1 right now, and staying positive. But I was waiting around to get an MPD32, and this weekend finally saw the MPC REN!! Needless to say, I will be stuck using my Fantom-S as a controller for another year until I can afford the REN.

I think you are all correct, the REN/BPM/Mach5 combination is going to be SICK!

It is also possible that the REN software will out shine BPM1.5. But, I think that since MIDI controllers and VST/AUs are the BOSS right now, beat makers don't need to use just one weapon...we can use everything. So the easier it is to mingle an application with another, the more likely it will be used. Plus!, with the REN we can resample every sound we have in other applications. So we can make our own BPM & Mach Five drum kits and instrument samples. So much for what I said up above about mingling apps, some may just use samples. It all depends on the producers style. It's all about having OPTIONS!!

For now, back to my Fantom-S, fake a--, MIDI controller, and the STELLAR BPM 1.5.1. (Yes, the Fantom-S is essentially my fake a-- MIDI controller because I don't have an audio interface to capture the sound...I will in a year lol.)

And yes it is disappointing that there is not a more active user base, especially on YOU TUBE. We need more YOU TUBE videos for BPM. We need a cyber following, some marketing, but mostly regular dudes like me and who ever. But you can call me part of the problem because I just don't have time to do all that sh--. PEACE!
Cairns
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by Cairns »

I hear ya, I have done a lot of videos on Youtube under Orecordings.. For BPM.. But really needs to be more added to the software BPM is very basic and not really complex. but yet powerful that is why we all love it.. What kind of videos do you want to see more of?
Music is a moral law,
it gives wings to the mind,
a soul to the universe,
flight to the imagination,
a charm to sadness,
a life to everything,
Plato 400 B.C.