BPM 1.5 Problems & Suggestions only.

Moderators: James Steele, ssp

ssp
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Re: BPM 1.5 Problems & Suggestions only.

Post by ssp »

I will pass this information onto beta team today. i dont know how long it will take for a fix, I will let you know as soon as I know anything.

mac pro 8-core, mac mirror door dp, graphite g4 400.
Motu 2408/24io interfaces, PT HD, Event opals, Focal twin 6.
Too many synths to mention!
monogee
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by monogee »

BPM has let me down. Was looking so forward to just working within that application. Thank goodness I'm getting Reason in the mail tomorrow. At least I know I can do all my sampling and slicing in it. :lol:
Mac Pro (Early 2009), Processor 2x2.66GHZ Quad-Core Intel Xeon
OS X El Capitan 10.11.6
DP9 Ver. 9.5
saintjoe

Post by saintjoe »

thanks for the feedback and letting us know it's not just on PC, I passed the info along as well.
SoundsAndGear.com - music production news, tips, videos, and reviews.
b-righteous

Post by b-righteous »

I know they will get these issues fixed. It's just a matter of how long?

For now I will just put BPM back into sound module mode. I just use it as an all-in-one drum/sample player and rack UVI instruments. Still need my MPC for sequencing. For sampling, you guys can check out Edison. There is a video on you tube on using it with BPM someone posted.

One day I hope you don't need 3 samplers to do what an MPC does. :)
saintjoe

Post by saintjoe »

yeah, that's how I use BPM anyway, so I didn't really notice till someone said something. I did, but thought it was something on my end lol. I'm sure it will get fixed, it has too...major component of the product in my opinion.
joker77

Post by joker77 »

Feature Request - Akai Mpc .pgm import 2000,xl,3000,4000,1000,5000
Mac:Mac Pro 8 Core|12GB Ram|Lion OSX 10.7.2
Hardware:RME Fireface|Alesis Q7|Lavry AD/DA|Grace 101|FocusritePre|Presonus Monitor Station|DynAudio Bm5a Mk2|Event
Software:Maschine|Emulator X3|Mach Five 3|Geist|UVI sound libraries|Pro Tools 10|Logic 9|Studio One Pro 2
b-righteous

Post by b-righteous »

Yes MPC import would be nice.

A bit more on the note repeat issue with the step sequencer.

I tested with my MPC by triggering a 32nd note repeat to a BPM high hat. I was not using the BPM note repeat but the MPC note repeat at matched tempo. I recorded this to the BPM step sequencer and also to the piano roll. What I found is that with quantize off in the piano roll it records 32nd notes just fine with a grid of 16. I assume that it is using 128 or 480 ppq for the racks when quantize is off? The step sequencer on the other hand would not record this right and quantized everything to 16th notes. Quantize was disabled on both parts.

The step sequencer will hard quantize to 16ths or 32nd notes max based on the grid even if input quantize is off. This gives it a max ppqn of 32. This is a critical flaw to the step sequencer. Saintjoe already seemed to be on to this and was right.
Last edited by b-righteous on Thu Sep 02, 2010 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
saintjoe

Post by saintjoe »

indeed! Ive been petitioning for higher res and the choice of piano roll/step in both banks and racks, a step sequencer with a higher resolution would be very useful, as would the option to just choose piano roll, yet still access some step functions like the graph editor/step editor in conjunction with piano roll.
BrianL

Post by BrianL »

b-righteous wrote:Yes MPC import would be nice.

A bit more on the note repeat issue with the step sequencer.

I tested with my MPC by triggering a 32nd note repeat to a BPM high hat. I was not using the BPM note repeat but the MPC note repeat at matched tempo. I recorded this to the BPM step sequencer and also to the piano roll. What I found is that with snap to grid off in the piano roll racks, that it records 32nd notes just fine with a grid of 16. I assume that it is using 128 or 480 ppq for the racks when snap to grid is off? The step sequencer on the other hand would not record this right and quantized everything to 16th notes. Quantize was disabled on both parts.

The step sequencer will hard quantize to 16ths or 32nd notes max based on the grid even if input quantize is off. This gives it a max ppqn of 32. This is a critical flaw to the step sequencer. Saintjoe already seemed to be on to this and was right.

That's the reason I suggested this earlier in the thread:
by BrianL » Thu Aug 26, 2010 6:17 pm

Actually there is an another way they could get Note Repeat to function properly in the Drum Sequencer instead of making a piano roll mode. It would lie in the Grid resolution as I actually touched upon before.

If they exactly match the Step Resolution to the Note Repeat resolution we'd have what we want. This would mean the obvious, the Sequencer segments have be allowed to do 2x-32x, 1/1-1/64, 1/1dot-1/64dot and 1/1trplt-1/64trplt slices.

This way, because the slices/segments are placed correctly, the notes should always hit where they are intended (as played/heard).

If my theory is correct, this should also allow various Note Repeat types to be used when the sequencer is set to high resolutions. Thus allowing us to change the Note Repeats up for the sake of differnt drum parts without having to mess around with the Sequencer resolution settings again. It may be necessary to have an option to allow for both dotted and triplet events to occur under any given resolution... Have to think on that one a bit more.

Let me know what you all think of that?

Whatever the case, we have to get Motu/UVI to do something about this, because the way it is now is just plain wrong and broken!
Frankly I'm still utterly thrown by the fact that this flaw made it to a release... it's as though the testers barely investigated the use of Note Repeat in v1.5.
b-righteous

Post by b-righteous »

Edit: Snap to grid has nothing to do with it. The step sequencer seems to always quantize incoming notes. I don't like that. We should have the option to real time record in freely without it snapping to a grid.

In fact, why is it snapping notes to the grid when you have the quantize button off? It may just be a matter of the quantize button should allow notes to record as played if it is off. It seems to work this way in the piano roll. We could use the piano roll but I don't like the piano roll view for drum and percussion parts. When quantize is off, you should just be able to use note repeat freely as intended and it will record it right at what ever setting. You also gain being able to record as you play with no quantize/snap shifting your notes to places you did not intend. I know what I want to play and don't want it "snapping" my notes unless I specifically tell it to.
Last edited by b-righteous on Thu Sep 02, 2010 5:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
saintjoe

Post by saintjoe »

exactly!!!

lol...my first action in a sequencer is to turn off the grid/snap lol...I figured piano roll (or no snap) would be the same thing, if they let is use the grid editor and such on it still!

either way, it needs to be fixed, I've resorted to playing my drums in the rack, even though I don't like to do that, since you don't have the same tools to tweak them...either that, or I just bang them out in Maschine and drag them in as loops!
b-righteous

Post by b-righteous »

Right on!

BrianL, I see what you are saying now. That would work. The note repeat and grid would be one in the same. Click the check mark to turn off note repeat but quantize/grid is based on the note repeat value. As long as there is an off value =480 ppqn

Edit: I found that the snap to grid setting has nothing to do with it. The piano roll will record 64th notes or higher regardless of the snap to grid setting as long as the quantize button is off.

So either the quantize button is broken and wont turn off on the step sequencer, or it won't record a higher resolution than the grid settings.
BrianL

Post by BrianL »

I really don't think the quantize button has any effect on the Grid simply because it is a grid. The issue has to be that the Grid simply can't allow for event's higher than the 32 it provides.

So if they make allotments for up to 64 and the Grid segments are made to accept dots and triplets, then I think they'd give us what we want and should've had to begin with.
b-righteous

Post by b-righteous »

And that's the problem. If it is not an issue with the quantize button being broke, the grid settings should make no difference on real time recording to the step sequencer. As long as the quantize button is off. Just like it works in the piano roll. This is how it works on Maschine and everything else. With quantize off, it should record whatever you play just as you played it at max resolution.
BrianL

Post by BrianL »

Yeah, I have Maschine, I've seen how it is there....like I said, all I really know is Motu needs to fix this and fix it on a Major priority level!

It would be a good thing to create techlinks where we are showing them how it's broken, what we expect and the different options we feel might resolve the matter: just to get their minds moving toward whatever they decide to do to fix it.