BPM 1.5 Problems & Suggestions only.

Moderators: James Steele, ssp

saintjoe
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: BPM 1.5 Problems & Suggestions only.

Post by saintjoe »

agreed!
SoundsAndGear.com - music production news, tips, videos, and reviews.
b-righteous
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by b-righteous »

That would work. Honestly, I would rather both editors be full featured. I prefer the drum grid for pad parts but still need range select, grid on/off, bars display etc. Don't see why the grid editor can't have these in the right click window like I asked on the first page of this thread.

Either way, the editors need attention because right now they are incomplete. Not being able to record note repeat is a huge oversight. I also suspect that the ppq for recording is lower depending on the grid settings so we need to be able to turn it off.
saintjoe

Post by saintjoe »

yeah that's basically what I'm saying, I feel everything needs to be full featured and we should be able to choose grid or piano roll :)

I don't want a simple port of grid/piano roll where you still get the same limitations just a choice lol

I want to be able to use the graph editor features on the piano roll data, and if I want to turn on the grid I should be able to do that too

I want to use the piano roll for my bank parts, so I can just choose my bars, turn off my grid and go to work...be able to move my notes however much I want..all that

grid/graph/piano roll.... no matter if it's a bank or rack.

I hate that I can't go in and mess with the velocity and other features in the racks lol, so yeah, I'm just saying they should all be part of the sequencer, not separate
BrianL

Post by BrianL »

Actually there is an another way they could get Note Repeat to function properly in the Drum Sequencer instead of making a piano roll mode. It would lie in the Grid resolution as i actually touched upon before.

If they exactly match the Step Resolution to the Note Repeat resolution we'd have what we want. This would mean the obvious, the Sequencer segments have be allowed to do 2x-32x, 1/1-1/64, 1/1dot-1/64dot and 1/1trplt-1/64trplt slices.

This way, because the slices/segments are placed correctly, the notes should always hit where they are intended (as played/heard).

If my theory is correct, this should also allow various Note Repeat types to be used when the sequencer is set to high resolutions. Thus allowing us to change the Note Repeats up for the sake of differnt drum parts without having to mess around with the Sequencer resolution settings again. It may be necessary to have an option to allow for both dotted and triplet events to occur under any given resolution... Have to think on that one a bit more.

Let me know what you all think of that?

Whatever the case, we have to get Motu/UVI to do something about this, because the way it is now is just plain wrong and broken!
Last edited by BrianL on Thu Aug 26, 2010 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
saintjoe

Post by saintjoe »

yeah that would work, but I was askin about piano roll before note repeat was introduced, I just prefer it over grid sequencing, it's the reason I don't like to sequence in GURU lol...I like freedom, most of the time the first thing I do is turn off the grid when I'm making music :)

I think they should add the time sigs to the grid for sure, as well as allow piano roll in the drum banks :)

I'm all for your idea man, more flexibility is always good, and these small adjustments to the sequencing can make a HUGE difference.
BrianL

Post by BrianL »

I'd like that to, but to be frank, I simply don't like the Piano Roll implementation in BPM. I feel like, if they are gonna do anything to it, they need to change it all the way up.

Heck Cakewalk canned the Project 5 project altogether and that sequencer was practically perfect! I wish they could get that from Cakewalk and put it in here, but we all know that won't happen.

If they are to put the piano roll here, they're gonna have to fix the Copy/Paste function, show all those hidden events and allow them to be edited. They also have to fix the Note drag functions so that attempting to drag a group of notes doesn't screw up the placements timing of the notes.

Seriously I can't even drag notes to another octave without the timing getting butchered if my hand moves right or left a bit or I'm moving something during playback and the NOW bar decides to autoscroll. Things like this make editing in the Piano Roll a major pain; to the point, I'd rather play it correctly while recording it and leave it alone afterwards!
BeatPadMan

Post by BeatPadMan »

Hey still wondering if anyone is having problems with 1.5 showing the BPMSA 1 OUTPUT and the BPM SAMPLER 1 in the SAMPLING slot? Now, BPM 1.5 isn't showing either, after only having BPMSA 1 OUTPUT. Also, when I hit the CLIP button next to the SAMPLING button and the CLIP VIEW opens. Then, I DRAG & DROP a WAV file into the area. Next I turn on the SLICE and the WAV file is sliced. Now I try to change the SLICES and BPM 1.5 CRASHES ALL THE TIME. Let me say it again, when I do this BPM 1.5 "CRASHES ALL THE TIME!" I know that a lot of people want additional features but a program that is STABLE and allows you to use ALL OF ITS' FEATURES should be priority #1 because people buy the program because the company says it CAN and WILL do X,Y or Z!
I really just want to be able to choose SOUND-FLOWER as an audio source, SAMPLE from my itunes library, SLICE the the file, change the number of SLICES and MAP 2 PADS. If I'm doing anything wrong can someone please assist me? Also if anyone else is having this same problem can you chime in. I'm on a relatively new IMac with a core i7 2.8 ghz, 8GB of 1067 Mhz DDR3 running on 10.6.4.
saintjoe

Post by saintjoe »

lol I hear ya lol...that's why I want all the tools together...so we can mess with events, placement, all that. Just make it more robust is all, more flexible, more editable all around.
saintjoe

Post by saintjoe »

BeatPadMan wrote:Hey still wondering if anyone is having problems with 1.5 showing the BPMSA 1 OUTPUT and the BPM SAMPLER 1 in the SAMPLING slot? Now, BPM 1.5 isn't showing either, after only having BPMSA 1 OUTPUT. Also, when I hit the CLIP button next to the SAMPLING button and the CLIP VIEW opens. Then, I DRAG & DROP a WAV file into the area. Next I turn on the SLICE and the WAV file is sliced. Now I try to change the SLICES and BPM 1.5 CRASHES ALL THE TIME. Let me say it again, when I do this BPM 1.5 "CRASHES ALL THE TIME!" I know that a lot of people want additional features but a program that is STABLE and allows you to use ALL OF ITS' FEATURES should be priority #1 because people buy the program because the company says it CAN and WILL do X,Y or Z!
I really just want to be able to choose SOUND-FLOWER as an audio source, SAMPLE from my itunes library, SLICE the the file, change the number of SLICES and MAP 2 PADS. If I'm doing anything wrong can someone please assist me? Also if anyone else is having this same problem can you chime in. I'm on a relatively new IMac with a core i7 2.8 ghz, 8GB of 1067 Mhz DDR3 running on 10.6.4.

confirmed both I hadn't noticed the slicing because I don't use BPM for that...but I just did it multiple times. Load a wav in the clip window, slice, change from transient to grid or change the grid to different settings, crash...like clockwork.

I'm also missing the sampling options, can't seem to get them to show up anymore, I know I had it in the previous version because I tried it when I first got it.

But now it's just empty and in the drop down it says (no choices)

whasup!
joker77

Post by joker77 »

Lets not forget, the kit's should also be able to be used in the racks.. :koolaid: similar to the libraries from uvi,would be a win win.
Mac:Mac Pro 8 Core|12GB Ram|Lion OSX 10.7.2
Hardware:RME Fireface|Alesis Q7|Lavry AD/DA|Grace 101|FocusritePre|Presonus Monitor Station|DynAudio Bm5a Mk2|Event
Software:Maschine|Emulator X3|Mach Five 3|Geist|UVI sound libraries|Pro Tools 10|Logic 9|Studio One Pro 2
saintjoe

Post by saintjoe »

yeah lol...that's why I'm saying we just need both rack style and bank style sequencing no matter if we are in kits or racks, of course with various tweaks/additions, but you get what I'm saying lol.

If we could choose between the two styles of sequencing, no matter what we are sequencing, kits OR instruments...it would be a very nice improvement!
:dance:
b-righteous

Post by b-righteous »

saintjoe wrote:
BeatPadMan wrote:Hey still wondering if anyone is having problems with 1.5 showing the BPMSA 1 OUTPUT and the BPM SAMPLER 1 in the SAMPLING slot? Now, BPM 1.5 isn't showing either, after only having BPMSA 1 OUTPUT. Also, when I hit the CLIP button next to the SAMPLING button and the CLIP VIEW opens. Then, I DRAG & DROP a WAV file into the area. Next I turn on the SLICE and the WAV file is sliced. Now I try to change the SLICES and BPM 1.5 CRASHES ALL THE TIME. Let me say it again, when I do this BPM 1.5 "CRASHES ALL THE TIME!" I know that a lot of people want additional features but a program that is STABLE and allows you to use ALL OF ITS' FEATURES should be priority #1 because people buy the program because the company says it CAN and WILL do X,Y or Z!

confirmed both I hadn't noticed the slicing because I don't use BPM for that...but I just did it multiple times. Load a wav in the clip window, slice, change from transient to grid or change the grid to different settings, crash...like clockwork.

I'm also missing the sampling options, can't seem to get them to show up anymore, I know I had it in the previous version because I tried it when I first got it.

But now it's just empty and in the drop down it says (no choices)

whasup!
Not good! Need some fixes.
monogee

Post by monogee »

I'm having the same problem here. Sampling options not showing up. All I get is, "No Choices."
Mac Pro (Early 2009), Processor 2x2.66GHZ Quad-Core Intel Xeon
OS X El Capitan 10.11.6
DP9 Ver. 9.5
joker77

Post by joker77 »

saintjoe wrote:yeah lol...that's why I'm saying we just need both rack style and bank style sequencing no matter if we are in kits or racks, of course with various tweaks/additions, but you get what I'm saying lol.

If we could choose between the two styles of sequencing, no matter what we are sequencing, kits OR instruments...it would be a very nice improvement!
:dance:
+1
Hardware:RME Fireface|Alesis Q7|Lavry AD/DA|Grace 101|FocusritePre|Presonus Monitor Station|DynAudio Bm5a Mk2|Event
Software:Maschine|Emulator X3|Mach Five 3|Geist|UVI sound libraries|Pro Tools 10|Logic 9|Studio One Pro 2
joker77

Post by joker77 »

monogee wrote:
I'm having the same problem here. Sampling options not showing up. All I get is, "No Choices."

Same thing here