BPM 1.5 Problems & Suggestions only.

Moderators: James Steele, ssp

saintjoe
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: BPM 1.5 Problems & Suggestions only.

Post by saintjoe »

Anyone else notice that quantize only works ay the bank level when assigned? I never had a problem with the button working in the banks as I already had it set ad a toggle/trigger, but I can't do anything with it in rack parts, it doesn't register it.
SoundsAndGear.com - music production news, tips, videos, and reviews.
joker77
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by joker77 »

I mapped it as well,and noticed the same thing.It doesn't appear to work for both.Perhaps it's mainly focused on the banks,maybe an update will allow for global.
Mac:Mac Pro 8 Core|12GB Ram|Lion OSX 10.7.2
Hardware:RME Fireface|Alesis Q7|Lavry AD/DA|Grace 101|FocusritePre|Presonus Monitor Station|DynAudio Bm5a Mk2|Event
Software:Maschine|Emulator X3|Mach Five 3|Geist|UVI sound libraries|Pro Tools 10|Logic 9|Studio One Pro 2
saintjoe

Post by saintjoe »

I'd be happy with a default quantize setting for the entire engine. So I can turn it off on everything by default, and then if I want it on per part I can change it.
joker77

Post by joker77 »

+1 that should be an easy one.
Hardware:RME Fireface|Alesis Q7|Lavry AD/DA|Grace 101|FocusritePre|Presonus Monitor Station|DynAudio Bm5a Mk2|Event
Software:Maschine|Emulator X3|Mach Five 3|Geist|UVI sound libraries|Pro Tools 10|Logic 9|Studio One Pro 2
BeatPadMan

Post by BeatPadMan »

I'm programming RIGHT NOW on BPM 1.5 and had to JUST STOP; get on the internet and this forum and make this comment. MOTU can you please SEPARATE the MIDI SELECT from the SEQUENCER! PLEASE with a cherry on top! It is really annoying to see the PADS, the SEQUENCER and the CONTROLS all moving together like a scene out of SATURDAY NIGHT LIVE I'm not an engineer or a fan of John TRavolata , but, I would believe it's taking more CPU energy to keep the PADS in sequence with the SEQUENCER VIEW and the CONTROLS?
I can't speak for everyone but, I believe most people want to have a sequence playing. Then they may say "I'm curious what this DELAY or REVERB or PITCH CHANGE might sound like on a particular pad; WHILE THE SEQUENCER is playing the sequence. THey probably want the PAD they SELECT to just STAY THERE for a moment while they TRY OUT different combinations of sound alterations. Again I want to thank MOTU and the BPM staff for the 1.5 update! It just needs a little tweekin'

Oh I forgot John TRavolta played in Pulp Fiction and Swordfish I DO LIKE HIM!
saintjoe

Post by saintjoe »

yes, I think this has been mentioned before, not sure why it's like that, hopefully it's a quick fix because it's annoying for sure. It removes the usefulness of it, and how they promote it. They say "go directly to a sound and tweak the filter" but you want to do that while the song is playing, not have to stop and do it, I may as well not have MIDI select then lol.

Hoping they get it taken care of :)
BeatPadMan

Post by BeatPadMan »

Hey I need help! The BPM SAMPLER 1 and the BPMSA 1 OUTPUT are not showing up in socket next to the SAMPLING and CLIP buttons. Before 1.5 I would use the BPM SAMPLER applet and SOUND FLOWER to record things from my ITUNES library or the internet to map to the pads in BPM. Now it has DISAPPEARED! Has anyone had this problem with the 1.5 update. I want to sample into BPM from my external source. Thanks in advance for your support!
saintjoe

Post by saintjoe »

I noticed mine was gone too but thought I messed something up lol

Then it randomly showed up when I was doin something the other day. I will have to check in the morning.
ssp

Post by ssp »

Hey beatpadman, can you do me a favour with your posts please?

can you try not to embelish them with the large caps, underlines, bolds and multiple colours? :D :D :D :D

I do love your enthusiasm for this but my god its like im having a trip when i check the posts and yours pop up into my visual range :lol: :lol:

also with regards to the moving pads etc just turn the MIDI select off on the top of the window, this will prevent that from happening. map it to a control on your controller to turn it off when needed. this is something that can be included in the next suggestions addendum to the motu/uvi team.

mac pro 8-core, mac mirror door dp, graphite g4 400.
Motu 2408/24io interfaces, PT HD, Event opals, Focal twin 6.
Too many synths to mention!
BrianL

Post by BrianL »

There's a serious issue with using Note Repeat in the Drum Sequencer! Because there's no way to disable the Grid, notes are forced into unintended places; in no way recording as played/heard during the recording. And this is when using 1/16 or 1/32 resolutions...

One would expect BPM to handle that without issue being that the Sequencer can be set to resolutions 16 and 32, but it simply doesn't work. In fact, Note Repeat is practically unusable here!

The Drum Sequencer seriously needs to allow for recording off the Grid so that what is played/heard gets recorded in just the way we hear it. I don't want to be forced to play drum parts in rack's Piano Roll Editor just to 'properly' place Repeat notes. I've only had Maschine for two days, but already, (in comparision) Maschine records Note repeats just as played.

I need that to work properly otherwise, Note Repeat is useless with the Way it currently works in BPM's Drum/Step sequencer
Last edited by BrianL on Sat Jul 02, 2011 2:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
ssp

Post by ssp »

did you turn quantise off when using note repeat?

mac pro 8-core, mac mirror door dp, graphite g4 400.
Motu 2408/24io interfaces, PT HD, Event opals, Focal twin 6.
Too many synths to mention!
joker77

Post by joker77 »

ssp,
even if the grid quantize is off,it won't work.Brian is correct,it's not gonna work like that in the grid mode. only rack's which can be frustrating,becuz technically they have it to where you can't load the kit sounds in the racks. I noticed this awhile back with my mpc's and mpds when controlling n trying to record in the bpm grid.. brian work around is to use the racks,but I can relate to what ur thinking right now.

and fwiw it will never really be in sync ,until,the grid overall even in racks reflects the quantization's of note repeats.

quantize does have to be turned off,in the rack mode to get it to work you we're right about that,but it does have it's drawbacks.
BrianL

Post by BrianL »

ssp wrote:did you turn quantise off when using note repeat?

Unfortunately, it's just as joker has noted, Quantize On/Off will make no difference here as notes will still get forced into a position within the Grid Boxes and this equates to a MAJOR flaw unfortunately.

What needs to happen is the Drum Sequencer has to allow for recording without the Grid, just like the Rack Sequencer... also, as I mentioned before, ultimately, both of these sequencers must be made to accommodate all the Resolutions that Note repeat can be set to. That means allowing the Sequencer Resolutions to go to 64 and accept dots/triplets ect...

As it is, these are essentially broken and useless in BPM 1.5. (Enough to make a grown man cry...lol) We seriously need this fixed!!!
saintjoe

Post by saintjoe »

I've been asking for the grid/piano roll sequencers to be a choice in both drum banks and the racks

so we can work with either no matter what

I prefer the piano roll of the racks to the grid, but I like the graph editor of the grid lol.

so there should be a button that let's you choose which way you want to sequence no matter if it's a drum bank or a rack
BrianL

Post by BrianL »

saintjoe wrote:I've been asking for the grid/piano roll sequencers to be a choice in both drum banks and the racks

so we can work with either no matter what

I prefer the piano roll of the racks to the grid, but I like the graph editor of the grid lol.

so there should be a button that let's you choose which way you want to sequence no matter if it's a drum bank or a rack
Agreed, I used Cakewalk's Project 5 heavily and this was something that I enjoyed having as an option there. The user was able to shift into either mode [Free (Pretty much Piano Roll) or Step] The toggle option is found in the upper right of the Sequencer pane Image

I'd love to see an option like that in BPM!