BPM 1.5 Problems & Suggestions only.

Moderators: James Steele, ssp

ssp
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

BPM 1.5 Problems & Suggestions only.

Post by ssp »

This thread is only for users who have the new BPM 1.5 update. It is specifically for reporting issues, errors or suggestions on BPM.
Any posts unrelated to this will be removed.

mac pro 8-core, mac mirror door dp, graphite g4 400.
Motu 2408/24io interfaces, PT HD, Event opals, Focal twin 6.
Too many synths to mention!
b-righteous

Re: BPM 1.5 Problems & Suggestions only.

Post by b-righteous »

The step sequencer is missing some needed features that are present in the racks piano roll sequencer.

I hate using the step display and doing the math conversion in my head to bars. Most musicians relate to bars and beats so if we had an option to display bars vs steps that would be nice. Maybe a right click on the name "step" to display bars instead. I know it is labeled a step sequencer but for instance on the MPC, the grid edit drum display still uses familiar bars and beats. Also, the piano roll can go up to 32 bars with a resolution of 16. The grid/step sequencer only 8 bars max at 16 resolution. This needs to be increased so it is the same as the piano roll.

Missing in the grid edit is a range select tool. This is needed here too just like it is useful in the piano roll editor. The space is crunched but the bypass button can be removed (that is what mute is for) Also the tracks/ graph can be one icon that you toggle vs two separate icons. This would make room for a toggle switch between range select and pencil. It could also be added in the right click menu.

A way to turn snap to grid off is needed too. On the flip side, the piano roll editor is missing the duplicate pattern command and double resolution.
saintjoe
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by saintjoe »

I've made some of these same suggestions, basically, I just requested that we have the choice of step/piano roll for both banks and rack. That way people can work however they wish.

I really prefer the piano roll (bars) instead of the step, but I'd like to see the graph tab in the piano roll to adjust those parameters for the notes :)

So giving us the same options in bank/rack would make a lot of sense and make things even more flexible
SoundsAndGear.com - music production news, tips, videos, and reviews.
b-righteous

Post by b-righteous »

Yeah, I got those from you. I have few more with stuff from the old list still needed.

Bugs/issues!
-Fix clip window crashes with slicing and editing.
-Fix random loss of sampler input options
-Allow quantize button state to be saved with project.
-Fix CC assign to quantize button not working on rack parts.
-stop sequencer playback from triggering MIDI select.
-Allow step sequencer to record incoming notes without quantize to grid just like the piano roll.(as long as quantize button is off)This will fix the note repeat issue not being recorded right.
-and/or allow step sequencer to have res of 64 and 480(grid off)

More Mapping options.
-Pad copy, paste, clear
-Line copy, paste clear
-Start end adjust of samples
-zoom for sample edit
-map selection to pad and play buttons in clip window
-load to load selected browser item.
-volume/pan of selected pad or part. (Just one pad/part volume and one pad/part pan CC that affect whatever pad or part is currently selected.)

Open pads sample in clip window button (assignable to cc)

Audition/MIDI select mode for slicesto select and audition slices from pads. In fact, just put the entire LoopLab slice feature set in BPM.(BPM calculate, snap to zero, auto scroll for cursor etc.)

Loop edit tab for pads with New IRCAM time stretch algo from Ethno 2!

Chromatic pads

Bank/rack part groove settings. It could be made like the new bank aux fx where you could toggle the global groove on or off to override the bank grooves.
-A render option to render the banks groove to pattern and zero the banks pos and vel controls.

Save & load individual rack instruments in file menu.

Global pad edit to edit filter cutoff etc. of all pads in bank at once. All pads would jump to same absolute value. Shift+click bank.

Update step sequencer with right click menu tools from racks sequencer.
-select/pencil tool
-quantize
-snap to grid on/off
-add select line and select all
-add nudge function.

Add duplicate pattern and nudge to piano roll menu.
Add graph automation to piano roll. (Graphs affect whole pattern vs single notes.)
Allow toggle to piano roll sequencer in banks.

Redo! Still one level to keep it simple. Use the same undo button to toggle like on the MPC. It should keep both versions and let you toggle. Once you record something new it flushes.
Allow undo to set undo points with mouse edits.

Automation read write system with sequencer mute/solo automation (don't mute note off events so sounds can decay naturally.)

Pad mute mode button similar to the live button. (assignable to cc) This turns the pads into sequencer based mutes.(not audio based)

Option to record live scene changes to song in real time.

Update browser to allow categories and search etc. like UVI workstation.
Also allow user content to be tagged and sorted.

MIDI out

Dedicated controller with bidirectional communication and LCD feedback.
Last edited by b-righteous on Mon Sep 06, 2010 3:28 pm, edited 10 times in total.
b-righteous

Post by b-righteous »

Updated!
saintjoe

Post by saintjoe »

option to set polyphony/ext group for the entire bank at once instead of pad by pad, much better for the workflow
joker77

Post by joker77 »

saintjoe wrote:option to set polyphony/ext group for the entire bank at once instead of pad by pad, much better for the workflow
+1 this would be great
Mac:Mac Pro 8 Core|12GB Ram|Lion OSX 10.7.2
Hardware:RME Fireface|Alesis Q7|Lavry AD/DA|Grace 101|FocusritePre|Presonus Monitor Station|DynAudio Bm5a Mk2|Event
Software:Maschine|Emulator X3|Mach Five 3|Geist|UVI sound libraries|Pro Tools 10|Logic 9|Studio One Pro 2
BeatPadMan

Post by BeatPadMan »

Whatz up ya’ll BeatPad Man is back on the forum after a year of frustration with MOTU not supporting BPM. I was frustrated, because BPM had a nice classic sound for HIP HOP and Rn B but didn’t have MAPPED CC’S (duh!) and a bunch of other “for granted features” missing. So I look up a couple of weeks ago and see a BPM 1.5! “Damn” I say “IT’S ABOUT TIZIME!” In the time in between time, I purchased MASCHINE and constructed my own MAPPED MIDI CC MAP so I could still use BPM with the MASCHINE CONTROLLER! I ordered the 1.5 update, installed and began mapping the CC’S to my MASCHINE CONTROLLER. I hate to sound like a complainer, but there are a few things that I still feel need to be added to 1.5 to allow MIXER type BETAMAKERS like myself to have a better WORKFLOW.
I’m also known as Mr. MuhSheen on the NI MASCHINE forum. I see Saint Joe & B-Righteous are on this forum too. B-righteous, back n the day I remember you being the only one feeling my idea that BPM had a PUNCHIER, JUICER, more ANALOGOUS sound than MASCHINE! St Joe and I have had some interesting conversations on the NI forum too. Brother, I hope you understand that we have MORE IN COMMON than the DIFFERENCES! We both want to let the CODERS know what the CUSTOMER needs to improve their WORKFLOW! It’s as simple as that! I feel that these CODERS at NI and MOTU have never worked the way HIP HOP PRODUCERS work. We come from situations with broken OLD SCHOOL HARDWARE MACHINES where MENU DRIVEN ACCESS is the NORM rather than the EXCEPTION. So we had a CLEAR VISION of what was MISSING and what could be done DIFFERENTLY to improve WORKFLOW. So here are a few suggestion from a guy who wants to use BPM as a STANDALONE WORKSTATION.

1- More than the 40 or so MAPPINGS currently available and more than the 128 I constructed with my own MIDI MAP CC file (I will attach for people who have MASCHINE and BPM 1.5)
2-MIDI MAPPED MUTES for each drum sound INDEPENDENT of BANK
3-MIDI MAPPED SOLO for each drum sound INDEPENDENT of BANK
4-Ability to turn ON and CHOOSE the FILTERS via MIDI CONTROL. (It’s no good to control the FILTER with MIDI and you can’t turn it ON FIRST!)
5-Ability to MIDI MAP by CHANNEL + CC to increase the MIDI MAPPING possibilities. (ala ABLETON LIVE)
6-Ability to MIDI MAP the RACKS TRACK MUTE and SOLO button without SELECTING the RACK TRACK first! (even with my own constructed map I couldn’t MUTE and SOLO tracks in the RACK without selecting the RACK TRACK first!)
7-Need a REDO so we can COMPARE (ala MASCHINE)
8-Ability to SOLO and MUTE each BANK and RACK INDEPENDENTLY.
9-Ability to scroll through and SELECT the GROOVE TEMPLATES

PLUGIN WORKAROUNDS for your MUTES and SOLOS include making EXTERNAL INSTRUMENTS in LIVE and MUTING and SOLOING in LIVE. I’m not trying to DO ALL THAT MODULAR STUFF I want to do it in BPM.
I will say THANKS FOR THE UPDATE MOTU!
Hey, I’m not asking for much! Peace for 2010 yo suuuckaaaaaaas!

P.S.- SSP thanks for working with these MOTU people and getting their software UP TO DATE! I had no idea that MOTU was listening to our complaints because we never got any REPLY from MOTU like a company like NATIVE INSTRUMENTS gives to their customers forum! I had no idea that when you were making your HOMEMADE controller you were actually working for MOTU on the beta. You're like the GODFATHER of BPM and I feel that just like Corleone in the Godfather "if you have the police, protection and judges you must share them with the rest of the family." I feel you should have let the DEDICATED customers who stuck with BPM from the beginning know the news that an UPDATE was coming just to "WET OUR BEAK" as the Black Hand said in Godfather II. Hey, I’m not asking for much! Peace for 2010 yo suuuckaaaaaaas
BrianL

Post by BrianL »

What's goin on all, it's been a while... Still waiting on my upgrade to appear...

I haven't seen any mention of this so I think it's safe to say Olivier and the gang didn't get my request (from a long while back) into this upgrade.

Live Mode Performance captured/Recorded to Song Mode. You need only to look to Cakewalk's Kinetic (4:59 in the timeline) or Project5 (1:53 in the timeline) to understand why BPM should be able to do this and how it would excel due to having the ability! I'm sure you'll be clear on what I'm saying once you see how it's handled in either Kinetic from the GRID or in Project5 from its Grove Matrix.
saintjoe

Post by saintjoe »

I made a similar request to the devs as well, that would be very useful.
BrianL

Post by BrianL »

Ok, my copy finally showed up!

Gotta ask the question, why is it Note Repeat has such high resolutions (which is a good thing) but BPM itself only allows up to 32bps (Not so good)? Because of this, all the higher Note Repeat options will get ignored.

I imagine this is the beginning of many more implementations but shouldn't this have been changed along with the Note Repeat feature implement?

Edit: Another thing I was hoping for would be the prevention of closing without saving a performance. At least now we have the name of the performance in the upper left of the UI. (Could do without seeing the file extention there though)
sampa

Post by sampa »

I dont see the name of the performance in the upper left? where exactly is it. Thanks
saintjoe

Post by saintjoe »

at the very top next to "BPM"
sampa

Post by sampa »

very strange - i dont see it up there? maybe i am buggin or maybe because I am on a mac?? but you mean right next to the big BPM above the tune and volume buttons? thanks
saintjoe

Post by saintjoe »

nah, it's in the top left corner