bpm hardware (update)

Moderators: James Steele, ssp

ssp
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Re: bpm hardware (update)

Post by ssp »

well im almost at the end of this little journey making this controller.
i just have the sidecheeks to wrap and the buttons to have their legends on and its finished!

i have decided to build the stand-alone unit and add some extra features, which you will have to wait until i start the build to see what they are. i am however going to build a control expander for this unit which will just link the the rear of thecase using a cascade port.

in the meantime heres the finished item (almost) hooked upto bpm and ready to run!

thanks for all the support while i have been working on this unit, i promise the next one will be even better.

mac pro 8-core, mac mirror door dp, graphite g4 400.
Motu 2408/24io interfaces, PT HD, Event opals, Focal twin 6.
Too many synths to mention!
bobbybland

Post by bobbybland »

Amazing, Congrats on a beautiful controller for BPM.This would have tripled Motu's sales if they would have had you on their team!! :wink:
So what's up ,are you planning on mass production,you still haven't mentioned this to my knowledge so far...The people want to know! :mrgreen:
BeatPadMan
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by BeatPadMan »

Absolutely outstanding! It is UNBELIEVABLE I mean absolutely "UNBELIEVABLE"that NOBODY from UVI or MOTU has said ANYTHING on this forum about this hardware controller! I believe THAT'S NOT A GOOD SIGN for BPM. There are literally THOUSANDS of books on how business should listen to their customers. It's only GOOD BUSINESS PROTOCOL! The only reason that I could think of why they haven't responded is an old one......................................................JEALOUSY! Nuff said!
bobbybland

Post by bobbybland »

This unit reminds me of a customized Mpc 60 from Forat, it has that original vintage type look to it.It seems like a no brainer to add this to the Motu catalog,and I'd be let down as a customer if I never had the chance to own something like this.I'm gonna be waiting to see what happens with your next version,with the screen,but again very nice work ssp,your pics along the way we're very inspiring n kept alot of us smiling despite the non communication with motu.Was cool of you to maintain your patience with all of us including them..lol good luck with it,btw I want one!
bobbybland

Post by bobbybland »

SSP,
Have you ever gave thought to a device like this that would not be dependent on a OS's latency,similar to a real drum machine with it's own clock,and also audio device,but some how had all the benefits of a plugin with total recall etc.. I say this because I dream of such a device with zero latency alike the hardware...
bobbybland

Post by bobbybland »

Or don't answer and play with your MIDI controller all by yourself.I see how it is.:mrgreen:
los226

Post by los226 »

This is spectacular! If you ever want to go through the trouble of mass production I'll be the first in line willing to buy.
bobbybland

Post by bobbybland »

los226 wrote:This is spectacular! If you ever want to go through the trouble of mass production I'll be the first in line willing to buy.
:wink: + 1
ssp

Post by ssp »

hi bobby.

sorry i was busy playing with my "wack" control surface, may i also add, as has been pointed out to me... the only dedicated bpm control surface in the world? if thats wack i'll buy that for a dollar!

anyway to your q?

one thing i could do is build a combination of tr-909 and tr-808 boards and put them into the bpm case, it then becomes a complete drum machine on its own, there would be room to put a sequencer in too the same as on the 808-909. to be honest though, if i build it with a built in motherboard from a mac mini or a pc board, strip the operating system back by removing all the junk files and apps and parts of the os that dont need to be in there, the software becomes the main boot plug which, will not take up to many resources. a decent sound interface in there too and its done.

i have programmed the unit to do many things now and its working perfectly, the morphing function from one button group to another is great. i havent found anything i cant do with it yet!

keep an eye on the thread as i have a couple of surprises to show you guys over the next week or so that will go with the unit.

bobbybland

Post by bobbybland »

Hey ssp,
I just got back from Maryland,I just noticed that comment,that was foul.I think your controller is the start of something great.I also own Maschine,but I think BPM is a great software,needs a few more decent updates,but if the controller and software meet and combine each other's strength's,it would be on the next level alike Maschine.
I personally think Motu needs to sink some money into BPM,perhaps get you involved with a decent budget or whatever and build these for mass production. If they're scared then they should drop out,as competition's just gonna get more fierce. :wink: Keep up the great work man,it's very inspiring to see you go at this alone.Much props
Saintmatthew
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by Saintmatthew »

Where in Maryland?
MacPro 12core 64GB Ram 4 1TB SSDs motu 828mk3 DP 10.11
bobbybland

Post by bobbybland »

Saintmatthew wrote:Where in Maryland?
I was in Union Bridge,right out of Westminster,working. 8) Cold up that way,I'm from Florida :lol:
ssp

Post by ssp »

hi bobby.

iwould love to design a controller for motu, however i dont think that it is finacially viable for them at the moment, sales globally on any product isnt good and with the wealth of off the shelf pad controllers its something understandably they dont really need to come up with.

i still feel that bpm should have come packaged with a control surface, even if it had been a modified currently available unit from a secondary manufacturer under license.

to be honest i have so many ideas for things at the moment i dont know where to beging building and stop designing.

im almost finished with this controller console unit, its a cross between the euphonix, smartav and the digi icon desks. as such every single item is assignable and controllable via MIDI and usb, firewire would be good too.

im currently designing the control knobs for the surface, thats how detailed i want it!!

i think once this is done i need a break!

i also have to build the expanders for the bpm unit as well.

hopefully this weekend i will put up some final renders of the casework etc, its just about ready for laser cutting and forming.
all i have to do then is come up with a real nice graphics layout.

thanks for the interest

bobbybland

Post by bobbybland »

Cool,if you get a chance to, post a final pic. :wink: I sure hope Motu takes a chance with your design,or can bridge bpm to work better with controllers in general.I'm hopeful,but at the same time aware that they may not want to gamble.I was told from a certain person that Bpm sales we're very good,but maybe this person had his facts wrong.If they we're good,then they should take the chance,but if not I guess I can see bpm falling by the wayside and be less useful to my productions.I'm sure your controller with Bpm is gonna be fun.I just wish I could get one dedicated for Bpm alike my hardware for Maschine.
I would wager to say Akai is up to something as well,hopefully they get the picture by now.No offense to older technology,but it's just not where it's at now imo.They also need to step up,and jump head first into plugin's,they would have the game sewed up,as far as original terms,swing's,emulations,design etc..
ssp

Post by ssp »

nothing major just a video i forgot to post the other week. me testing new assignments and checking the encoder speed, its a bit of a pain hearing the same pad played for a min but its so i get things right on the controller.

one of these days i will actually play the damn thing, well i have to learn to first!

enjoy
http://vimeo.com/10118052" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;