bpm hardware (update)

Moderators: James Steele, ssp

ssp
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Re: bpm hardware (update)

Post by ssp »

its only a waste of time if you can only think in a negative manner, the very fact im speaking with the uvi guys means its not a waste of time.

had you taken the time to ask or even take a look at the mb forum thread then you would realise the controller is a fully programmable control surface, i can use it with any software nust by loading the editor up and assigning what i want to any fader , encoder or button in less than a minute, upload it and instantly use it.

uvi can make any cc# assignments to the software they like and i can adapt around them, something others either cant or wont.

the "im directly responsible" bit means nothing to me, uvi had a list of changes they were going to implement as things went on, i daresay that one of your suggestions was one of these, unless you were able to recode and compile some of the code for them.

im not looking for a flame war here, but i hate negativeness in any form, the current progress of my controller shows its not a waste of time, the investment i have made wouldnt have been justified.

i build things because i want to, because i enjoy it and because i like doing things that havent been done yet.

the software only has shortcomings if you let them become shortcomings, if you look for faults you will find faults, and when something comes out these days and it doesnt do one thing that people want , they are up in arms demanding this that and the other, slating the product as crap and useless etc.

and to respond to your comment about use of the product, i can guarantee im doing things with it that you cant even dream of doing with it yet ;) its amazing what a screen full of code and a custom interface can do.

mac pro 8-core, mac mirror door dp, graphite g4 400.
Motu 2408/24io interfaces, PT HD, Event opals, Focal twin 6.
Too many synths to mention!
enot

Post by enot »

ssp. non of us who bought bpm came with the intention to be negative about bpm we all had the best intention and hi hopes im sure, thats why we bought it, we where awed by the presentation video from motu and the look of bpm we all where like 'someone finally did it! in all actuality motu are the ones with the bad intention when they decided to released a product that was obviously not completed. its sad that you think because we have complained about this software being less functional to its own specifications that we should shut up and suckup the 300.00 dollars and wait and wait on a product that never worked good enough to actually be used. this was a step backwards for me. and then they have the audacity to want to come out with another different version! come on dude be serious, if thats not a slap in the face i dont know what is. if your in the business of creating software products then you need to make sure that the product you create works correctly for the consumer to use before you release it, thats what beta testing is for' not to pass it off as a fully working version like motu did. and we are not engineers so we dont need to know how they made it or how much or how long it took them to code the module,i really dont care, producers need to know that it works and works well! and i have no sympathy for any one or any company that takes advantage of people. the request that we have giving should not even be considered request it should have been implemented of the top. but they put money over quality no question, and for that, this is what they get "negative comments about the product. i have watched native instruments consumers complain but its more of a want then a need and its new features not features thats part of making machine work they are able to use machine in there production. and the workflow is fast. but with bpm its like you have to learn a whole new language or be an engineer just to get started this is crazy,and the workflow is the worst i have seen yet, that shows uvi or motu did not put thought into the functionality of bpm and they did not understand the user and there wants in a drum software, im almost positive that they are solely engineers and have nothing to do with making music and should have had a user of an mpc on hand when they where designing this software. i dont apologize for nothing i said, and trust me if this next update is not up to par im going to dis the hell out of it everywhere i go, i will even make a song about it and toss it on the net for free lol. and ssp i do want to say thanks for creating the hardware, it brought my hopes up for bpm but like i said if the next update is not up to par i will be getting rid of bpm anyway. peace out fam.
luneytunes

Post by luneytunes »

enot wrote:ssp. non of us who bought bpm came with the intention to be negative about bpm we all had the best intention and hi hopes im sure, thats why we bought it, we where awed by the presentation video from motu and the look of bpm we all where like 'someone finally did it! in all actuality motu are the ones with the bad intention when they decided to released a product that was obviously not completed. its sad that you think because we have complained about this software being less functional to its own specifications that we should shut up and suckup the 300.00 dollars and wait and wait on a product that never worked good enough to actually be used. this was a step backwards for me. and then they have the audacity to want to come out with another different version! come on dude be serious, if thats not a slap in the face i dont know what is. if your in the business of creating software products then you need to make sure that the product you create works correctly for the consumer to use before you release it, thats what beta testing is for' not to pass it off as a fully working version like motu did. and we are not engineers so we dont need to know how they made it or how much or how long it took them to code the module,i really dont care, producers need to know that it works and works well! and i have no sympathy for any one or any company that takes advantage of people. the request that we have giving should not even be considered request it should have been implemented of the top. but they put money over quality no question, and for that, this is what they get "negative comments about the product. i have watched native instruments consumers complain but its more of a want then a need and its new features not features thats part of making machine work they are able to use machine in there production. and the workflow is fast. but with bpm its like you have to learn a whole new language or be an engineer just to get started this is crazy,and the workflow is the worst i have seen yet, that shows uvi or motu did not put thought into the functionality of bpm and they did not understand the user and there wants in a drum software, im almost positive that they are solely engineers and have nothing to do with making music and should have had a user of an mpc on hand when they where designing this software. i dont apologize for nothing i said, and trust me if this next update is not up to par im going to dis the hell out of it everywhere i go, i will even make a song about it and toss it on the net for free lol. and ssp i do want to say thanks for creating the hardware, it brought my hopes up for bpm but like i said if the next update is not up to par i will be getting rid of bpm anyway. peace out fam.

THE SHORT VERSION:
ssp.....you ever heard of a little sampler released waaaayy back on 10/05/07 called UVI/MOTU Machfive V2(with Looplab)? No?......No???!! Didn't think so! :shock:

we see you did you homework with the hardware(yaye) :roll: ....next time do your homework on the actual sampler please, before you type your inaccurate facts to the paying fans of BEAT INC. and mpcs bearing CHOPSHOP all over this big blue marble.

thats like telling us Lexus is having trouble for 2 years releasing this NEW feature called a "HYBRID" engine and Toyota is doing "the best they can" to help. :lol: gtfoh
ssp

Post by ssp »

firstly the " no need to be negative " was in relation to his comment about my hardware as his post was directed at my hardware, my reply was to simply return the comment that something is only negative if you wish it to be negative, everything has its pros and cons. if uvi were not trying to help out then i could understand but they are doing everything they can to help.

as for bpmv2, have you as of yet seen any posting in an official capacity that current users will not get any form of free upgrades? have you seen an official motu or uvi posting that there is going to be a motu bpm v2? or is it all just hearsay.

enot, thanks for a really well thought out reply to my post, its nice to hear from a user who has taken the time to think out a reply to a post and offer a sensible objectionality to any post.

motu released it , not uvi, uvi can only build the product and give functionality in the time frame thats available to them, unfortunately this meant shortcoming when released at namm, the namm release was not uvi's choice it never is, as a contracted party to supply a product they are not in control of a release date , all they can then do is play catch up. and make the product what it would and should have been had they been given the time frame that they would have liked, hence upgrades. the product was rush released under motus direction for namm simply because they wanted a nice new product to show.

as for use it an shut up, , its not a case of that, its a case of use it the best you can as i stated, and get in touch with uvi with your errors and problems and it gets added to the updates and corrections lists, uvi wont know whats wrong unless you the user tells them.

all i said was to remember its not uvi's fault that a product is released too soon, but know this they are working thier butts off to correct and fix the current crop of problems and add functionality that users have asked for , myself included.

with regards to the workflow, when ever you get a new piece of equipment you have to learn a hole new level of functionality and system, the problem is that many current and ex mpc users are expecting it to be similar to mpc's and also to have certain software workings that you would exepct from other software, yes there are things that i want in it that i expected to be there like the global cc# assignability that is promenant with motu products. however instead of going nuts over it i decided that while building the hardware i would involve uvi and try and rectify one of the issues.

luneytunes:

as for your comment, let me get this straight first time.

i have used motu products since the companies first releases and have used mach5 since its inception and pre releases. dont assume for any moment that i dont know what motu or uvis product base is or has been. i own my own recording studios and have worked with some of the worlds most renowned recording artists using motu products and uvi products to name but a few of the current crop of items i use.

your quote"we see you did you homework with the hardware(yaye) ...."

yet no sooner had i posted about the hardware i was working on you sent this message to me

we should talk
Sent: Sat Nov 28, 2009 12:48 am
To: ssp

i have own the Roland 12 bit(emu sp1200-like sound) S-50 keyboard, the mpc 2000xl, mpc4000 and mpc1000. i used to work for Guitar Center Atlanta and i am a BPM fanatic. i have Beat Kangz Beat Thang and i see u have promise too. i have a dream of a touchbook pro with BPM but u have a good design. were are u? i have some adds and questions u mite want.

hmm now from what i can gather you were chomping at the bit to get in touch with me about my hardware etc, and now i make a little post that you dont agree about you dismiss my work :roll: :roll: :roll:

if the software is that bad for you, then i suggest you get an sdk kit, learn to code and do some correctional work yourself, or build your own hardware.

myself in the meantime i will continue my build, continue speaking with UVI and in doing so help make a better product and not just sit in a forum and moan like a pubescent teenager.

my advice is still plain and simple so even you can understand it.

be patient, if you have issues get in touch with uvi, give them error logs, screen shots or any general info you can, they are not mind readers and to be honest are doing a damn more tech work than motu ever has for any of its products.

as for the "gtfoh" comment thats not a problem for me, i can just drop any form of info here continue bpm/harware development quietly and then not bother sharing the details and updates of myself and uvi with you users here.

however as other members and users have contacted myself with a view of complete interest in the hardware and any form of functionality that can be implemented to bpm im going to stay.

next time you feel the need to fire off a comment or assumption to me , please be a little more concise and descriptive that will help me understand your post a little better in future.

apart from that have a nice xmas and new year.

enot

Post by enot »

hey ssp anything new on your end?
ssp

Post by ssp »

anything new, of course i have just been a little too busy to post anything.
i have to fit the idc headers tomorrow and then connect to the digital in boards and test each encoder and button and fader if all is well i can then fit to the main casework.

heres a few shots of the boards being populated and test fitted into the spare case

luneytunes

Post by luneytunes »

"grabs tissue, wipes egg batter off legs......"
enot

Post by enot »

good work! looks really good! cant wait to see the finished product.
ssp

Post by ssp »

update:

the software is finished, the core is finished, the digital input is finished, the new main boards are tested and finished, usb/MIDI in/out is finished. the 4x4 fsr pads are finished and tested, you can adjust maximum velocity using the in built control system in the hardware.

you can edit the cc#, note on/off/ event/ operation of each fader, pad, button and encoder on the controller to do what ever you want it to, you can give double notes to any thing on the controller.

the controller talks back and fore with the editor, the ram sticks are working and storing multiple groups and bank setups, storage takes 2 seconds with one button press and you can assign the save to any of the built in ram sticks, which are expandable to 8 sticks.

now then.. can you see a piccy of the unit as it stands.. nope not just yet. its almost ready, almost!! the casework needs finishing with the graphics, the phenolic knobs need the bottoms shaved down for fitment and i also need to put the legends on the buttons.

its close really close now to a finished unit!

in the meantime, i loaded up fl9 and a drum synth to check the fsr pads and how they worked with minimum pressure. i had to use fl9 because the mac is in the studio not in where i have my workbench. i keep a pc next to my workbench and fl9 is a nice easy thing to use for testing controllers.

here is a quick video showing the fsr pads being tested, you can see the 4x4 pot matrix that allows trimming of the resistance of each fsr. prehaps in the future i may try and add velocity to the pads etc but for now that can be done via the menu system.

http://vimeo.com/8796469

chrisma
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by chrisma »

That's Incredible! A homemade controller that's shaping up to take on the mighty MPC. I don't think you even realize what you are about to tap into. I just hope Motu sees the light and goes hard after the market. Keep it up (and if Motu keeps it up) BPM could really be the leader of the pack both virtually and physically.

Post more please.... :D :shock: :) :lol: 8) :!:
World Class Major Label Quality Music Production - UrbanMultiTracks.com
http://www.urbanmultitracks.com/

Music Production, Mixing & Mastering - ChrismaProductions.com
http://www.chrismaproductions.com/
enot

Post by enot »

ssp i need you to make mine with the note repeat from 1/4th to 1/32 triplet buttons and ill be your first customer!
chrisma
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by chrisma »

enot wrote:ssp i need you to make mine with the note repeat from 1/4th to 1/32 triplet buttons and ill be your first customer!
Yeah no doubt. But SSP that brings up a good point. How are you going to handle feature updates to BPM. Like as Motu (hopefully) adds buttons and new functions. Do you have extra buttons that can be assigned? Firmware updates? ??? Forgive me if you've already posted the answer and I missed.

T.
World Class Major Label Quality Music Production - UrbanMultiTracks.com
http://www.urbanmultitracks.com/

Music Production, Mixing & Mastering - ChrismaProductions.com
http://www.chrismaproductions.com/
b-righteous

Post by b-righteous »

Good question as I think the current BPM layout has a few missing buttons that would really help the workflow.

Duplicate/pad copy, undo, pad select, and mute/solo.
In addition the hardware should have shift and navigation arrows.

There is a lot of space at the top and right side of pads that these could be added later I guess.
enot

Post by enot »

did you guys notice how sensitive the pads where i like that :D
ssp

Post by ssp »

chrisma wrote:
enot wrote:ssp i need you to make mine with the note repeat from 1/4th to 1/32 triplet buttons and ill be your first customer!
Yeah no doubt. But SSP that brings up a good point. How are you going to handle feature updates to BPM. Like as Motu (hopefully) adds buttons and new functions. Do you have extra buttons that can be assigned? Firmware updates? ??? Forgive me if you've already posted the answer and I missed.

T.

its already done ;)

menu, load group/bank presets

each bank/group has saved edited settings for other features.
so you tab to group 2 from the main group one and on say group 2 you set certain buttons up for edit, cut, paste etc. then for the main bpm features you just tab back to them main preset group.

the whole system can have multiple and i mean as many as you like edited control settings for anything, hell you can even use the controller for any other softsynth, drum synth etc. its not just bpm related. its a totally user programmable generic controller surface that has onboard MIDI learn function, full cc#, note, meta event, sysex and command assignability to anything on the controller, be it a button , pad, encoder, anything can be assigned to anything.

the only thing that cant be done to it is.. well.. nothing.

it can also transmit full mmc (MIDI machine control) commands, i can also in a future case add a full mtc clock display an 8 digit display. so you can see the current time code display.