BPM 1.5 crashes in clip window

Here's where all the ranting and griping about BPM will go since there are a few people insisting on clogging up the BPM Forum with trashing BPM.

Moderator: ssp

M-Goldie
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

BPM 1.5 crashes in clip window

Post by M-Goldie »

ssp wrote: Its like having a channel down on a neve console and saying " i cant use it one channel doesnt work even though i have got 32 other channels to use that one thing makes it so it is now unuseable" give me strength...
actually, with respect, its not like that.
it is the equivalent buying an MPC and then finding out you can't sample with it.

so yes, you could workaround that, drop the samples into the MPC by using some other software you may or may not have, but can you imagine the grief Akai would take for that?!

so despite the rather OTT sentiments of the OP in that now closed topic, i do feel that we as paying customers and fans of BPM should be allowed to express our frustrations about this issue?

:D
OSX 10.6.4 / logic pro 9 / reason 5 / bias peak 6 / bpm 1.5 /
ssp

Re: BPM 1.5 crashes in clip window

Post by ssp »

actually the comparison is sound, it relates to a single failure or fault being able to lose functionality of the whole. Also not being able to overcome and and adapt something to your needs the user would rather admit failure.

as i stated, if a client came into my studio and specifically asked me for bpm to be used only for me to explain i cannot use it because one function does not work the client would look at me like an idiot.

I do not have to explain the reason behind closing the htread, however needless to say the topic has now been done to death, uvi and motu are aware of the problem and it will be dealt with.

one other thing, please post in the correct sections of the forum in future.

mac pro 8-core, mac mirror door dp, graphite g4 400.
Motu 2408/24io interfaces, PT HD, Event opals, Focal twin 6.
Too many synths to mention!
M-Goldie

Post by M-Goldie »

ssp wrote:one other thing, please post in the correct sections of the forum in future.
yes will do. i realised that but couldn't move it after i submitted it... sorry.

cheers
M
BRW
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by BRW »

ssp wrote:actually the comparison is sound, it relates to a single failure or fault being able to lose functionality of the whole.

as i stated, if a client came into my studio and specifically asked me for bpm to be used only for me to explain i cannot use it because one function does not work the client would look at me like an idiot.
As someone who just bought BPM 1.5 a couple of weeks ago, and only recently realized this major crippling bug in it, I have to respectably agree with M-Goldie and disagree with mr ssp. The comparison that a multi-channel mixer has one broken channel is nowhere near comparable. You CAN go around that, just don't use that broken channel - but here, you just simply can NOT slice samples. Period. It just doesn't work. There isn't a "workaround". Other than doing it in Ableton, which kind of defeats the purpose of an "all-around beat production machine" BPM is supposed to be, now doesn't it?

Also, who says we've STOPPED using BPM in general because of this? I don't think anyone did? I certainly didn't. In fact, I bought it firsthand as a beat-making tool for drums, because I love the workflow. The sample slicing "in the box" was a sweet, added bonus. The point is, that a major feature in the software has been rendered unusable because of this bug (in an update for which most paid for...), and the fact that it's been, what, at least half a year and still not a peep from MOTU...? You would think that fixing this would be top priority, before focusing on developing additional software and hardware...or at least addressing the issue. :roll:

M-Goldie (or ssp, for that matter) have you gotten a valid response from MOTU regarding the matter that they're actually even -working- on it? My "TechLinks" remain in "Unread" state...
M-Goldie

Post by M-Goldie »

BRW wrote:M-Goldie (or ssp, for that matter) have you gotten a valid response from MOTU regarding the matter that they're actually even -working- on it? My "TechLinks" remain in "Unread" state...
SSP says they are aware of it, he seems to have contact with the developers there. also i have been told by motu that they know about it. I would recommend hassling the customer services dept about unread tech links.

I am hoping a 1.51 update is very near, there are a few things that could do with being fixed or improved. And yes i agree, 6 months is already an unacceptable wait but what can you do?!!
ssp

Post by ssp »

The wait relates to the fact that U.V.I are not a massive software house with a plethora of software engineers, everything is scheduled and takes its turn in the queue.

I seem to be repeating things that I have made people aware of in past posts, when a simple search would have revealed these answers.

As for your tech links they are not my responsibility or this forums responsibility that lies with MOTU, we are not paid or affiliated with MOTU in any way here.

As for the slices I just use another editor and drop them in, I compromise and manage as necessary, it does not stop me from using the product.

mac pro 8-core, mac mirror door dp, graphite g4 400.
Motu 2408/24io interfaces, PT HD, Event opals, Focal twin 6.
Too many synths to mention!
M-Goldie

Post by M-Goldie »

ssp wrote:The wait relates to the fact that U.V.I are not a massive software house with a plethora of software engineers, everything is scheduled and takes its turn in the queue.

I seem to be repeating things that I have made people aware of in past posts, when a simple search would have revealed these answers.

As for your tech links they are not my responsibility or this forums responsibility that lies with MOTU, we are not paid or affiliated with MOTU in any way here.

As for the slices I just use another editor and drop them in, I compromise and manage as necessary, it does not stop me from using the product.
anyone with any experience of being in business would agree that uvi/motu are shooting themselves in the foot by putting out a paid for update with application crashing bugs and then simply putting it at the back of the queue where it presumably awaits an update, (now 6 months on).

it required an urgent fix, the kind of situation where uvi should have put a bit of man power on it and sorted it immediately.

the reason it keeps getting brought up is because paying users are so hacked off about it.
BRW
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by BRW »

Exactly. And after 6 months (or more, more like 8?), sadly it doesn't seem like MOTU is interested in providing a solution. Yes, development and fixing bugs (almost a joke, right? :lol:) takes time, but come on - how about you put the development of Mach Five on the back burner and take care of your pre-existing customers first?

Mr SSP's patronizing, sour comments and responses about the subject would be ok (or would they?), if we would be moaning about it after just a couple of days, weeks or even a few months. But over half a year since the last update... :shake: I FIRMLY believe that if ANY other major name company (let's say Akai, Roland, Yamaha, Steinberg) would have a similar major bug in any of their products, it would be addressed in a matter of weeks or DAYS, not months or year(s).

As a side note, my Tech Note regarding the subject was answered about a month ago, they said what I expected them to say - they're "aware of it" and "will address it in a future update". No idea of schedule, though. Obviously.

Personally, I "blame myself" for not coming here and doing the research on the bugs in the product before buying it, since I only bought it early this year. I guess I couldn't imagine there would still be any crippling bugs like this...