Geist?

Here's where all the ranting and griping about BPM will go since there are a few people insisting on clogging up the BPM Forum with trashing BPM.

Moderator: ssp

saintjoe
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Geist?

Post by saintjoe »

:D indeed, I've tried quite a few, and Maschine is right there for me, of course that's personal opinion. I can sample, slice, sequence, etc, how I want to. Or I can compose something without sampling, I just dig the workflow of the sequencer and everything else.

I could take some of the fx and such from BPM, and the layering in BPM/Geist, but over all, it's "got it" in my opinion.
SoundsAndGear.com - music production news, tips, videos, and reviews.
pauze
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by pauze »

Thorough review on Geist! Your workflow is similar to mine.

Haha yeah I figured you'd say Maschine. If it only had timestretch built in, I'd say it was the best too. Maybe 1.6 will bring that in, who knows. But for what it is *right now* it is the one to beat.

The funny thing is that I've been going back and forth between copping Maschine or getting that MPC4000 that I've always been lusting over. And NO I can't get both because I just don't want to have to explain it to the wifey, LOL.
saintjoe

Post by saintjoe »

yeah man lol, I feel you

I will say, I came from a 4000, so depending on what you're looking for you may or may not find it with Maschine.

Though I can do pretty much the same stuff on Maschine as I did with my 4000 ( my personal workflow) Maschine is NOT an mpc. So my advice, if you're set on getting an mpc, get one :)

But, if you're not set on specific MPC features and you like the workflow of Maschine then I'd say go for it.

MPC does a ton of stuff Maschine doesn't, but that's the same for Maschine, it does quite a bit that MPC can't.

For me Maschine won in the end...and I build a new super computer with the money from the mpc lol.

Not saying I'll never have something like that again for my "away from computer" beat making, but I'm quite happy with Maschine.
M-Goldie

Post by M-Goldie »

saintjoe wrote::D indeed, I've tried quite a few, and Maschine is right there for me, of course that's personal opinion. I can sample, slice, sequence, etc, how I want to. Or I can compose something without sampling, I just dig the workflow of the sequencer and everything else.

I could take some of the fx and such from BPM, and the layering in BPM/Geist, but over all, it's "got it" in my opinion.
i liked your review of geist :)

i bought it, thought it had plenty to offer, certainly lots of things i would like bpm to pick up on. personally i much prefer step sequencers in drum machines but maybe that's because i grew up with loads of different roland drum machines and they all used a variation of the step sequencer.

don't know what it is with maschine, i just can't get into it like bpm and now geist. i'm hanging onto it though, NI are showing other companies the way forward in free updates and listening to their customers. motu take note? ?

i don't really see how maschine can implement everything it promises for 1.6 in the small screens but i would be happy to be proved wrong.
OSX 10.6.4 / logic pro 9 / reason 5 / bias peak 6 / bpm 1.5 /
saintjoe

Post by saintjoe »

yeah I grew up on a boss dr5, it was my first, then a yamaha qy100, then a kawai q80, then emu command station, then roland fantom, then mpc4000, so step sequencing isn't really my thing :)

that's the beauty though, plenty of choices for everyone :), I'll just use Geist inside Maschine for layering, etc

Maschine is more about the realtime for me, even though it has a step recorder in it, I've never messed with it lol.

you'll be surprised what NI can do on those screens, you don't really need much screen real estate to implement what they are doing, we shouldn't expect to see the vst gui on those joints ;)
ssp

Post by ssp »

The way i see it , it is all about personal choice. each software has its pro's and cons you have to find the middle ground with your software and learn to maximize its capabilities to your situation.

I have machine, guru and bpm and I use them all for various projects. Yes i like machine, however i emailed the guys at NI about improving a few feature sets and was simply ignored. This entailed me messing with the code and creating my own "more user friendly" maschine.

Now then as for the "wheres the bpm update" please do not start that one again, an update will arrive when it arrives. When the next beta round starts i will tell you, I will also ask for permission to give you selected info about its state, issues and implementations that may or may not be able to be included.

However do not hold me to this as the N.D.A prevents discussion about software currently under test or scheduled for test.

As always when i have info i will give it to you all, i always have and always will.

Once again i have to use that one simple word "Patience" its all i ask and all thats expected.

mac pro 8-core, mac mirror door dp, graphite g4 400.
Motu 2408/24io interfaces, PT HD, Event opals, Focal twin 6.
Too many synths to mention!
M-Goldie

Post by M-Goldie »

saintjoe - what do you make of reason's KONG ? piano roll sequencer, other options if you want, great sounds and very intuitive way of programming i thought. the sampler has really opened up Reason, even though its super basic.

i could probably quite happily make all my stuff in reason and record (don't have record though) but these other apps get too tempting...

i've been very impressed with BPM over the last month, great sounds. few bugs, and i've been a bit frustrated with motu's tech dept, but hopefully they'll sort it out. main thing is they have tied themselves into making everything work in its tiny little screen! i wonder if that will change. i doubt it. better get myself some glasses :)
M-Goldie

Post by M-Goldie »

ssp wrote:Now then as for the "wheres the bpm update" please do not start that one again, an update will arrive when it arrives. When the next beta round starts i will tell you, I will also ask for permission to give you selected info about its state, issues and implementations that may or may not be able to be included.

However do not hold me to this as the N.D.A prevents discussion about software currently under test or scheduled for test.

As always when i have info i will give it to you all, i always have and always will.

Once again i have to use that one simple word "Patience" its all i ask and all thats expected.
thanks, I appreciate your information, and i agree.

bug fix updates are different to feature-based updates and if you are talking to the developers then i think its fair enough that we try to encourage motu to fix them asap?! not trying to hassle you personally but motu need to understand that some urgency in fixing the niggly bugs would be appreciated by the loyal paying professional customer base :)

cheers
M
saintjoe

Post by saintjoe »

M-Goldie wrote:saintjoe - what do you make of reason's KONG ? piano roll sequencer, other options if you want, great sounds and very intuitive way of programming i thought. the sampler has really opened up Reason, even though its super basic.

i could probably quite happily make all my stuff in reason and record (don't have record though) but these other apps get too tempting...

i've been very impressed with BPM over the last month, great sounds. few bugs, and i've been a bit frustrated with motu's tech dept, but hopefully they'll sort it out. main thing is they have tied themselves into making everything work in its tiny little screen! i wonder if that will change. i doubt it. better get myself some glasses :)
I don't like reason as a whole, I tried out Kong but I just don't like Reason period, now if Kong was outside of Reason it would probably get some use by me :)

Like ssp said, it's all personal choice, good thing there are choices.
pauze

Post by pauze »

Ha, Reason needed to incorporate Recycle into it like 2 versions ago! Kong is a nice step forward, but still not the ticket. And I say this as an avid Reason user.
M-Goldie

Post by M-Goldie »

pauze wrote:Ha, Reason needed to incorporate Recycle into it like 2 versions ago! Kong is a nice step forward, but still not the ticket. And I say this as an avid Reason user.
i agree 100%.
propellerheads were ahead of the game and really let it slip.
not putting recycle into reason 5 is crazy. they invented it!?!