Geist?

Here's where all the ranting and griping about BPM will go since there are a few people insisting on clogging up the BPM Forum with trashing BPM.

Moderator: ssp

b-righteous
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Geist?

Post by b-righteous »

Looks like Geist is going to have about all the features we have been asking for. Looks really refined and impressive. Better slicing with pad selection, mute/solo pad mode and tools for step sequencer. BPM's drag and drop song mode is still killer but Geist took the Ableton route with real time pattern recording to songs. I like how the sampler records takes too. It also has new effects to maybe compete with BPM's nice effects.

Geist can't compete with the racks with MOTU/UVI sounds but NI will trump that with Maschine 1.6

BPM is still dope so I will probably keep it but I wish they would hurry and fix some of the bugs and issues.

http://resonantfilter.blogspot.com/2010 ... ction.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
M-Goldie

Re: Geist?

Post by M-Goldie »

never used guru, don't know if my brain could take learning another software sequencer/sampler! :)

i don't use ableton so not sure what you mean by some of the features - eg. real time pattern recording to songs?

i totally agree by the way - MOTU need to fix the bugs, issues and implement some basic feature requests. BPM is near to being a great bit of software, but they need to focus on sorting a few aspects out. quantize options, undo/redo, selection/moving tools in the grid sequencer - these are all simple features that in my opinion should already be there.

at the moment i like BPM much better than maschine. i'm not convinced vst hosting is going to integrate that well into maschine, but the main thing is that it shows NI are listening to the users and committing to the product. as well as keeping them informed.
OSX 10.6.4 / logic pro 9 / reason 5 / bias peak 6 / bpm 1.5 /
saintjoe
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by saintjoe »

I will be using geist and bpm inside Maschine :wink:
SoundsAndGear.com - music production news, tips, videos, and reviews.
joker77

Post by joker77 »

Geist looks like what we requested in their forums for Guru 2.. I'm interested for sure.. :wink:
Mac:Mac Pro 8 Core|12GB Ram|Lion OSX 10.7.2
Hardware:RME Fireface|Alesis Q7|Lavry AD/DA|Grace 101|FocusritePre|Presonus Monitor Station|DynAudio Bm5a Mk2|Event
Software:Maschine|Emulator X3|Mach Five 3|Geist|UVI sound libraries|Pro Tools 10|Logic 9|Studio One Pro 2
saintjoe

Post by saintjoe »

indeed...
pauze

Post by pauze »

Geist looks like it has real-time manual slicing+mapping to pads similar to Phatmatik. Man how I wish BPM had that, among other things!

(aside: Anyone know if there is something comparable to Phatmatik's slicing out currently?)
joker77

Post by joker77 »

Never used phatmatik, but I do use SliceX/Edison from Image Line.. Pretty nice
Mac:Mac Pro 8 Core|12GB Ram|Lion OSX 10.7.2
Hardware:RME Fireface|Alesis Q7|Lavry AD/DA|Grace 101|FocusritePre|Presonus Monitor Station|DynAudio Bm5a Mk2|Event
Software:Maschine|Emulator X3|Mach Five 3|Geist|UVI sound libraries|Pro Tools 10|Logic 9|Studio One Pro 2
b-righteous

Post by b-righteous »

After demoing Geist for a short time it seems it has some major short comings in the sequencing area. No record count in or Tap tempo. Does not really have the mute solo mode like I thought. Only for the 8 engines and it can't be automated. Does not seem to be able to trigger keyboard parts and synths with sustain. Only one shot samples. This is a major step back from being able to sequence UVI/motu libraries right inside BPM. Not really feeling the sequencer work flow at all. Some nice effects though that can compete with BPM. Nice slicer too but does not map over 16 slices to separate pads.

Still needs lots of work. Can't wait for Maschine 1.6
saintjoe

Post by saintjoe »

I'm uploading my video/review right now and this is exactly how I felt. I really don't like the sequencer, I'm not a step sequencer person ( I feel the same about BPM, prefer the piano roll in the racks) I was definitely amazed there was no tap tempo, I use that on every beat I make.

I like the layering/fx as always, so for me, Geist would be a nice drum sampler, but as far as sequencer, I just don't like the workflow.

That said, the song mode is awesome, but can't use that without the sequencer lol.
pauze

Post by pauze »

Played with it briefly before work this morning and yup, the sequencer is a let down. I too am not a step person, so the lack of options there was a head scratcher.

REALLY love the slicer and how quick it is to get stuff mapped to the pads, but share the same complaints about its limitations.

As much as I love the slicer, I don't think it's worth the price of entry for me right now.

I'm still amazed that after all these years of PC beatbox software, no one has yet "got it right."
saintjoe

Post by saintjoe »

pauze wrote: I'm still amazed that after all these years of PC beatbox software, no one has yet "got it right."
I beg to differ on that one ;)

but anyway here's my review of Geist I just posted it.

http://soundsandgear.com/fxpansion-geist-review/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
b-righteous

Post by b-righteous »

Just read the review. Too funny. :lol:
saintjoe

Post by saintjoe »

we were on the same page, I knew I wasn't alone in this thought, just different workflows I suppose.
pauze

Post by pauze »

saintjoe wrote:
pauze wrote: I'm still amazed that after all these years of PC beatbox software, no one has yet "got it right."
I beg to differ on that one ;)
So what soft do you think got it right? I understand that we all have different qualifiers that are workflow-dependent, but I'd love to hear your take.

Checking out your Geist review right now as well.
b-righteous

Post by b-righteous »

You have to ask? You know he's going to say Maschine lol. I mostly agree. Maschine is the most like the MPC. Just a few quirks and missing features that will likely be addressed down the line.

I still like my BPM. Just want some of the issues ironed out soon. Where is that update?