UPDATE: Top 10 features of DP is in production now 7.1.17

Moderators: James Steele, Shooshie

Forum rules
This forum is being developed and is intended as intended as a place to bring together various Digital Performer video tutorials. Currently only YouTube videos may be embedded using the [YouTube] BB code.
Steve Steele
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

UPDATE: Top 10 features of DP is in production now 7.1.17

Post by Steve Steele »

..if you have a suggestion and/or have something you feel must be included let me know, This is going to be a big one. I expect about 40k views on YouTube within about 4-5 months. This is our video, and I'm making it for MOTU and us. I'll mention your name in the video if I use one of your ideas and you don't mind your name being mentioned, like as an editorial contributor. We've got about 2-3 weeks until I close sdbmititions.

I'm not trying to hog MOTU YouTube DP traffic. But I do like to go for high count views. I'm considering letting several members join me in the voiceover (per contribution). If interested, PM me.

I may contact a few of you.

Thanks!
Steve

Hey nation members.

In an upcoming video I'm going to tackle "Top 10 features of DP". [EDIT: I'll probably wait until the forthcoming update to make the actual video]. My audience is the young YouTube composer trying to decide on a DAW, and/or those that always wanted to know more about DP but we're too afraid to ask or haven't run across something that's direct, interesting to watch, and eye opening in its approach in showing the effectiveness of the features mentioned. (Yes, I know this actually might be beyond my video making capabilities and is a big realizability). Hence, I come to the nation.

I've also considered that ten of us each make a chapter of the video on a specialized topic and I'll edit it into a "10 favorite features by 10 pro DP users" - who would be up for this? if use guys don't mind it being on my YouTube channel (perhaps remixed for all or some of our channels. This is getting a tad ambitious as I type!)

Actually it seems a pretty obvious list but limiting it to a top 10 list is not very easy. And to represent DP like this, I wanted some consensus. Just a glance over my list and it's obvious that this could be an hour long video. That's not what I'm trying to make. If I can somehow do this in 10-15 minutes that would be prefect I think. I've got to up my voiceover game, which is no problem with a little sleep first!

Shooshie, MLC, James, Mike, bayswater, RR, toodamnhip, HCMarkus... and all..

In no particular order, just off the top of my brain..

1) DP can use either MAS, AU or VST2 plugins and at the same time (in most cases I've tried).

2) Chunks - Chunks, Songs and VRacks and everything that goes along with that. Seperate MIDI Tracks and it's efficiency with VEP. (Very underrated). Chucks will be one of the stars of the video.

3) The Mixer and all its fancy tricks including Mix Mode, Automation Snapshot, Track layouts and show tracks. Track Groups with aux track included, more..

4) Can use multiple hardware interfaces

5) MIDI strengths - DP's history, the Median strip Points, Bars and Lines mode, Event List, Conductor Track, MIDI Device Groups, MIDI effects, Audio to MIDI,

6) Audio strengths - Pitch and pitch automation, bite volume, Soundbite tempo, spectrogram, Spectral effects (maybe), Waveform and Soundbite windows, Comping and Takes, Tools and interesting audio tricks. Because DP's MIDI strengths are obviously strong I want to make sure to show off DP's audio capabilities.

7) Bundles, The Mixer Themes, Consolidation, colors Window Sets, etc...

8) Tracks vs Sequence view (non DP users seem to be baffled by this one.

9) A fast forward style catch all list - off-line bouncing, on-line bouncing and freezing, disable tracks, soloing groups and audible percentage of non-soloed tracks, multi-record, Input quantize, clippings, Interapplication MIDI and a dozen other interesting DP features that show DP's multitude of features.

10) Movie - and all the top killer features DP possesses in that department.

11) This list goes to 11. The DP manual (it's history, who wrote it, size and overall awesomeness). A top 10 list wouldn't be complete without mentioning the manual.
Last edited by Steve Steele on Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:50 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Mac Studio M1 Ultra, 128GBs Unified memory, 4TB SSD.
Interfaces: MOTU M2 and 8A (2.1 and 5.1 setups).
DAWs: Digital Performer 11, Logic Pro, Cubase 12 Pro, Studio One Pro.
Sample Libraries: Primary - VSL (all), Spitfire, (mostly all), and many others.
External Controllers: Metagrid Pro and Studio Logic SL|MIXFACE
MIDI Life Crisis

Re: Need input for 10 features of Digital Performer video

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

1 - Multiple sequences in a single project file.

2 - Sub-frame accuracy.

3 - Unequalled MIDI editing capabilities.

4 - Integrated video handling with different start and stop times from the same video (reel) in each sequence (what MOTU calls "Chunks") making creation of multiple cues a breeze.

5 - Easy import of almost any format via drag and drop.

6 - Configurable "window sets" to quickly change the arrangement of editing and other windows.

7 - A configurable "consolidated window" feature to keep everything neatly organized and in a predictable position.

8 - Reliable and accurate bounce-to-disk capabilities for MP3s, movies, and everything in-between.

9 - Great asset management and extensive complex editing of data in easy to understand dialogue boxes.

10 - Assignable key triggers as well as MIDI triggers (COMMANDS) to automate most of the features in DP.

11 - It goes to eleven! Great Tech Support from really nice people and the best tech support ever by and for members of MOTUNation.com

And I've only scratched the surface!
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Steve Steele

Post by Steve Steele »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:1 - Multiple sequences in a single project file.

2 - Sub-frame accuracy.

3 - Unequalled MIDI editing capabilities.

4 - Integrated video handling with different start and stop times from the same video (reel) in each sequence (what MOTU calls "Chunks") making creation of multiple cues a breeze.

5 - Easy import of almost any format via drag and drop.

6 - Configurable "window sets" to quickly change the arrangement of editing and other windows.

7 - A configurable "consolidated window" feature to keep everything neatly organized and in a predictable position.

8 - Reliable and accurate bounce-to-disk capabilities for MP3s, movies, and everything in-between.

9 - Great asset management and extensive complex editing of data in easy to understand dialogue boxes.

10 - Assignable key triggers as well as MIDI triggers (COMMANDS) to automate most of the features in DP.

11 - It goes to eleven! Great Tech Support from really nice people and the best tech support ever by and for members of MOTUNation.com

And I've only scratched the surface!
Good list MLC! Number 5, 8, 10, and 11 for sure. Always loved #5, Finder Drag and Drop. Btw, does Drag and Drop apply to Windows users? Your #11 is definitly something that be included. It's such an awesome safety to have if you're in a pinch and need to know something immediately. First the killer manual, then the Techlinks and then the phone support. MOTU has it covered!

mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

I like the ability to edit to the millisecond, tick, beat, sample etc. easily. Well, there are many things I like that have already been mentioned.

I'm probably not the one to make a YouTube video, however. Although I'm not self conscious where my handicap is concerned, anyone who uses two hands is going to be faster than I on most tasks.

I do have a few tricks up my sleeve where edge editing (quickly and without fades), nudge and bounce to disk are concerned—and possibly a few others. I'll see how this plays out before deciding if I can make a useful contribution.

Steve, I am assuming that you want this to be limited to the tools supplied by MOTU with DP 9, correct?
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Robert Randolph

Post by Robert Randolph »

• Polar - it's unparalleled. Only Ableton Live has anything close, and it's not really close.
  • Chunks - chunks and the song window are rather unique and exceptionally useful.
  • Commands window - As far as I've seen, DP has the nicest commands access. The window can be docked, always up, it searches well, you get 2 key and 2 MIDI assignments.
  • Masterworks suite and dynamic EQ - Lots of DAWs get made fun of for their bad included effects, but DP has some seriously awesome ones.
  • Console - The console is awesome, period. (not the mixer, but the console feature).
  • Track selector - Surprisingly, not many DAWs have anything like this. Having track selector with recallable visibility options is amazing when working with large projects.
  • Zoom options - IMO, DP has by far the best selection of zooming tools. Multiple presets, zoom history, very quick zoom abilities with the zoom tool, contextual zoom, etc.. Once again making it a breeze to navigate large projects
  • Transport controls - DP has a very thorough set of transport controls. Auto-rewind, auto-stop, cycle, linking modes etc.. and how they behave in combinations make for some very good workflows. It's pretty common to see in other DAW forums things like, "How can I make the playhead act like PT/Logic/Live/Cubase?" You can do it all in DP.
  • Consolidate windows or not - The ability to dock or not dock basically any window in DP allows for almost anyone to setup their workspace how they want. 1 monitor or 5. 1 space or 20.
  • Track grouping abilities - DP's track grouping is excellent. You can have nested and overlapping groups that have very fine-control over what is grouped and not.
  • Tracks Overview window - Every other DAW requires that you eat up a zoom preset (if they have them) or zoom out all the way to work like you can with a single click in DP. Yet another feature that makes working with large projects a breeze.
  • Search everywhere - DP lets you search for almost anything, anywhere. Clicking around to find something is silly. You can search for nearly anything and have it up instantly.
  • I/O setup - I know some people hate the whole bundles thing, but if you have a number of interfaces hooked up, or have some weird routing or various other things... DP's I/O routing system is amazing.
  • Click patterns - Click patterns in DP are amazing :!: Almost every other DAW requires that you jump through hoops to get varying click rhythms, and good luck when you change tempo/time sig. Click patterns in DP are awesome.
  • Meter Bridge - The meter bridge is amazing for setting levels. I have a 40" TV off near the drum area that I throw the meter bridge on. It's a huge help when trying to set up mics and levels to see exactly what's going in and out without messing with record enabling/monitoring tracks. Having the huge meters is great too obviously.
  • Automation editing - The automation editing tools in DP are great. (but I'm sure you'll get comments about it not having persistent bezier or spline)
  • Selections - There's a lot to talk about with selections in DP for audio or MIDI. With the search tool, pointer and I-beam tools you can make some really precise and complex selections. DP also supports multiple timeline selections. That's a pretty big deal for some of us.
  • Sysex/nrpn support - Not much more to be said. Not every DAW can do it, and it's really important if you use certain hardware.
  • Windows for everything! - There's so much information in DP that you can have at the tip of your fingers. Most of the windows are dockable and act sanely when floating. They also adhere to the current theme selected. Most DAWs really screw this up.
That's just a quick list off the top of my head.

Now, you could cover things like PureDSP, the beat detection engine, takes/comping, notation, window sets and Video. However I personally feel that DP is lacking in these areas quite a bit compared to some other DAWs (especially beat detection and comping). So if I were to make such a video, I wouldn't highlight those areas. That's just my personal feeling on it.

Of course the argument could be made that not everyone is super DAW-savvy. They may see those features and be amazed that they even exist. So excluding them would do a disservice to DP since they certainly do exist and help complement the features DP has that makes it unique and awesome.

Edit: Please make sure you mention Motu support. They have garnered a poor reputation over the years (deservedly at times IMO), but in the last couple years they have been absolutely fantastic.
Steve Steele

Post by Steve Steele »

mikehalloran wrote:I like the ability to edit to the millisecond, tick, beat, sample etc.
Me too. That's an essential ability to have. I'm not sure if Logic and Cubase allow the tick settings to be changed but it's nice that DP does.

Steve, I am assuming that you want this to be limited to the tools supplied by MOTU with DP 9, correct?
Mostly. But if there's something DP has that no other DAW does that enables a unique workflow, I'm down with that.

Logic has its environment. DP has its console. Maybe that's not the best comparison but you get the idea. If you think there's something that people should know about, I'll make room for it.

Steve Steele

Post by Steve Steele »

Robert Randolph wrote:
  • Polar - it's unparalleled. Only Ableton Live has anything close, and it's not really close.
  • Chunks - chunks and the song window are rather unique and exceptionally useful.
  • Commands window - As far as I've seen, DP has the nicest commands access. The window can be docked, always up, it searches well, you get 2 key and 2 MIDI assignments.
  • Masterworks suite and dynamic EQ - Lots of DAWs get made fun of for their bad included effects, but DP has some seriously awesome ones.
  • Console - The console is awesome, period. (not the mixer, but the console feature).
  • Track selector - Surprisingly, not many DAWs have anything like this. Having track selector with recallable visibility options is amazing when working with large projects.
  • Zoom options - IMO, DP has by far the best selection of zooming tools. Multiple presets, zoom history, very quick zoom abilities with the zoom tool, contextual zoom, etc.. Once again making it a breeze to navigate large projects
  • Transport controls - DP has a very thorough set of transport controls. Auto-rewind, auto-stop, cycle, linking modes etc.. and how they behave in combinations make for some very good workflows. It's pretty common to see in other DAW forums things like, "How can I make the playhead act like PT/Logic/Live/Cubase?" You can do it all in DP.
  • Consolidate windows or not - The ability to dock or not dock basically any window in DP allows for almost anyone to setup their workspace how they want. 1 monitor or 5. 1 space or 20.
  • Track grouping abilities - DP's track grouping is excellent. You can have nested and overlapping groups that have very fine-control over what is grouped and not.
  • Tracks Overview window - Every other DAW requires that you eat up a zoom preset (if they have them) or zoom out all the way to work like you can with a single click in DP. Yet another feature that makes working with large projects a breeze.
  • Search everywhere - DP lets you search for almost anything, anywhere. Clicking around to find something is silly. You can search for nearly anything and have it up instantly.
  • I/O setup - I know some people hate the whole bundles thing, but if you have a number of interfaces hooked up, or have some weird routing or various other things... DP's I/O routing system is amazing.
  • Click patterns - Click patterns in DP are amazing :!: Almost every other DAW requires that you jump through hoops to get varying click rhythms, and good luck when you change tempo/time sig. Click patterns in DP are awesome.
  • Meter Bridge - The meter bridge is amazing for setting levels. I have a 40" TV off near the drum area that I throw the meter bridge on. It's a huge help when trying to set up mics and levels to see exactly what's going in and out without messing with record enabling/monitoring tracks. Having the huge meters is great too obviously.
  • Automation editing - The automation editing tools in DP are great. (but I'm sure you'll get comments about it not having persistent bezier or spline)
  • Selections - There's a lot to talk about with selections in DP for audio or MIDI. With the search tool, pointer and I-beam tools you can make some really precise and complex selections. DP also supports multiple timeline selections. That's a pretty big deal for some of us.
  • Sysex/nrpn support - Not much more to be said. Not every DAW can do it, and it's really important if you use certain hardware.
  • Windows for everything! - There's so much information in DP that you can have at the tip of your fingers. Most of the windows are dockable and act sanely when floating. They also adhere to the current theme selected. Most DAWs really screw this up.
That's just a quick list off the top of my head.

Now, you could cover things like PureDSP, the beat detection engine, takes/comping, notation, window sets and Video. However I personally feel that DP is lacking in these areas quite a bit compared to some other DAWs (especially beat detection and comping). So if I were to make such a video, I wouldn't highlight those areas. That's just my personal feeling on it.

Of course the argument could be made that not everyone is super DAW-savvy. They may see those features and be amazed that they even exist. So excluding them would do a disservice to DP since they certainly do exist and help complement the features DP has that makes it unique and awesome.

Edit: Please make sure you mention Motu support. They have garnered a poor reputation over the years (deservedly at times IMO), but in the last couple years they have been absolutely fantastic.
Great response Robert! Some of the things you listed that I thought about mentioning like the Commands window, the Console, Track selector, Zoom options, etc. all very good ideas. I think the Transport controls is an excellent idea.

I wasn't sure how other DAWs handled Click Patterns. I could tie that in with the Transport controls somehow.

Not having a bezier tool might show up in a comment your right. What DAWs have a bezier tool? Logic and Pro Tools? I think Logic does. Then again, I'm guessing only serious folks are going to bother to learn how to use it. I use the Spline tool in DP 80% of the time. It's my default tool.

Now, you could cover things like PureDSP, the beat detection engine, takes/comping, notation, window sets and Video. However I personally feel that DP is lacking in these areas quite a bit compared to some other DAWs (especially beat detection and comping).
Great point. Most people don't even know that DP had Spectral Effects YEARS before any other DAW had time stretching. I think I even remember the day it was announced. It was in the spring of 1995 (I think). That was what, v2? Anyway, as great as that was, it's now long in the tooth so I shouldn't bring it up. Ha.

But regarding your list, IMO I feel that PureDSP, Beat Detection and QuickScribe are the main culprits. I'm ok with the others. I've been begging MOTU to do something about their notation engine. When Presonus bought Notion I wanted to punch a hole in my wall. Not that Notion is the answer for DP but if it was there for the taking then make a move. For a company who prides itself on having the best film scoring DAW, and then brag about QuickScribe, I sometimes wonder what they're thinking. Maybe it's a finacial thing, but QuickScribe needs a major overhaul. QuickScribe is still in the 90s. Logic's Score Editor puts QuickScribe to shame and there's no excuse for that.

Anyway, good post. We see eye to eye.

Robert Randolph

Post by Robert Randolph »

Steve Steele wrote: Not having a bezier tool might show up in a comment your right. What DAWs have a bezier tool? Logic and Pro Tools? I think Logic does. Then again, I'm guessing only serious folks are going to bother to learn how to use it. I use the Spline tool in DP 80% of the time. It's my default tool.
Logic, Reaper, FLStudio at least...

The main thing is that they are persistent curves. Not that you draw a curve, then it's instantly converted to automation (like how DP does it). Persistent bezier/spline always have the node and handles available for quick changing and the conversion/interpolation happens behind the scenes.

Discussion for a different thread though... I really don't care about it. I think how DP does it is fine, but I understand the desire some may have for it.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Most people don't even know that DP had Spectral Effects YEARS before any other DAW had time stretching. I think I even remember the day it was announced. It was in the spring of 1995 (I think). That was what, v2? Anyway, as great as that was, it's now long in the tooth so I shouldn't bring it up. Ha.
Yes, mentioning that it exists is ok, showing what the cursor looks like... sure, why not?

I've used it to fit a 57 or 64 second spot into a minute more than once with very acceptable results. It is something a new user would not know can be done.

Anything over 5% either way generates audible artifacts—not good. Even 5% might be pushing it.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Steve Steele

Post by Steve Steele »

Robert Randolph wrote:
Steve Steele wrote: Not having a bezier tool might show up in a comment your right. What DAWs have a bezier tool? Logic and Pro Tools? I think Logic does. Then again, I'm guessing only serious folks are going to bother to learn how to use it. I use the Spline tool in DP 80% of the time. It's my default tool.
Logic, Reaper, FLStudio at least...

The main thing is that they are persistent curves. Not that you draw a curve, then it's instantly converted to automation (like how DP does it). Persistent bezier/spline always have the node and handles available for quick changing and the conversion/interpolation happens behind the scenes.

Discussion for a different thread though... I really don't care about it. I think how DP does it is fine, but I understand the desire some may have for it.
Right. I understand Bézier curves. I've used Illustrator for many years. But I appreciate your input. Thanks.

Reaper really has the attention of some people I highly respect. I would look into it but I don't have the time to at the moment.

Thanks Robert.

Steve Steele

Post by Steve Steele »

mikehalloran wrote:
Most people don't even know that DP had Spectral Effects YEARS before any other DAW had time stretching. I think I even remember the day it was announced. It was in the spring of 1995 (I think). That was what, v2? Anyway, as great as that was, it's now long in the tooth so I shouldn't bring it up. Ha.
Yes, mentioning that it exists is ok, showing what the cursor looks like... sure, why not?

I've used it to fit a 57 or 64 second spot into a minute more than once with very acceptable results. It is something a new user would not know can be done.

Anything over 5% either way generates audible artifacts—not good. Even 5% might be pushing it.
Good idea. I think that's the logical approach to take.

Steve Steele

Post by Steve Steele »

I want to thank everyone for your time and effort to give me your opinions. Lots of great suggestions.

The Top 10 Features of DP video is next up on my cue. I'm going to comb over the suggestions and do my best.

I'll try to represent MOTU and the nation well.

Thanks!
Steve

Guitar Gaz

Post by Guitar Gaz »

Pitch Editing - it's really good IMHO.
Gary Shepherd
iMac 27" 3.3 GHz Intel Core i5, 32 GB Ram, Monterey 12.7.4, 64 bit, Digital Performer 11.2, Studio One 6.5 Professional, Reason 11, Melodyne 5 Editor, Korg Legacy Wavestation and M1, Arturia minimoog V, Helix Native 3.72, Bias FX 2 Elite, Superior Drummer 3, EZkeys, EZbass, Nektar Panorama T4, Motu M4, Faderport 2018, Gibson Les Paul Standard, James Tyler Variax JTV-59 and other gear.
laurof

Post by laurof »

I'm a DP addicted since 1994.
I used it for every work in my lifetime.

"But regarding your list, IMO I feel that PureDSP, Beat Detection and QuickScribe are the main culprits..."

I totally agree.

"For a company who prides itself on having the best film scoring DAW, and then brag about QuickScribe, I sometimes wonder what they're thinking. Maybe it's a finacial thing, but QuickScribe needs a major overhaul"

I did my first orchestral work with Composer Mosaic (a Motu software for notation).
Then they ended Composer Mosaic. I asked them more then one time to start again with it.
May be a financial thing?

Lauro
Last edited by laurof on Thu Jan 05, 2017 3:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
MacMini 16 GB RAM all SSD, Windows10-PC 64 GB RAM all SSD, DP 10.0.1, Ultralite AVB, tons of different software and guitars
terrybritton
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by terrybritton »

Steve Steele wrote:Btw, does Drag and Drop apply to Windows users?
Yes, Drag and Drop of audio into a track does apply to Windows users, and is FANTASTIC!

One thing I do not think is common to both platforms is number 4 - the ability to use multiple hardware interfaces - I believe that actually is a component of Mac's "Aggregation" feature (and as such is not DP specific). Windows ASIO has trouble with this.

Still reading this great thread - more later, most likely!

Terry
Last edited by terrybritton on Sun Jan 01, 2017 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Computer: Sweetwater CS400v7 Intel Core i7-10700K CPU @ 3.80GHz | 64Gigs RAM | Windows 11 Pro x64 |
MOTU 828 mk3 hybrid

DAWs & Live: MOTU Digital Performer 11.31 | Cantabile Performer 4
Keyboard Synths: Kawai K5000s, Korg Wavestation
Controllers: NI Komplete Kontrol S-88 Mk3 & S-49 Mk2; Maschine Mk3 & JAM;
Akai MPK249 & 225, Alesis QX49, Behringer BCF2000 & FCB1010
Rack Modules: Ensoniq ESQm, Yamaha TX81Z, Wavestation SR

Tutorials: https://youtube.com/@CreatorsMediaTools