Paste At Wiper

Moderators: James Steele, Shooshie

Forum rules
This forum is being developed and is intended as intended as a place to bring together various Digital Performer video tutorials. Currently only YouTube videos may be embedded using the [YouTube] BB code.
Dan Worley
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Paste At Wiper

Post by Dan Worley »

I posted this when Paste At Wiper was first added to DP (I forget which version that was, maybe DP8). Anyway, I forgot to mention that you need to go into Setup > Commands, do a search for "wiper," and then set a key command for Paste At Wiper. In the video, I'm using the command I set up for Paste At Wiper (Command Option Shift W).

Last edited by Dan Worley on Fri Sep 19, 2014 9:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
DP10.13
MIDI Life Crisis

Re: Paste To Wiper

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

You don't sound anything at all like you look! ☺ Thanks for posting.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Dan Worley

Post by Dan Worley »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:You don't sound anything at all like you look! ☺ Thanks for posting.
I don't look anything like I look either, and boy is that confusing when I get up each day. :?
DP10.13
MIDI Life Crisis

Weirdest freakin spam I've seen in a long time.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Prime Mover

Post by Prime Mover »

Great voice, dude. Wish I had a more interesting voice. I love singers with unique voices (huge Roine Stolte fan). Nice tip too, actually... I've never used paste to wiper before! :surrender:
— Eric Barker
Eel House

"All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio"
MacPro 1,1 2Ghz 7GB RAM OS 10.6.8 | MacBook Pro 13" i5 1.8Ghz 16GB RAM OS 10.8.2
DP7/8 | Komplete 7 | B4II | Korg Legacy Analog | Waves v9 (various) | Valhalla Room | EWQLSO Gold
MOTU 828mkII | MOTU 8pre | Presonus BlueTube | FMR RNC
Themes: Round is Right and Alloy
fgagne

Post by fgagne »

I've watched the video and it looks like you simply mention that you're "pasting to wiper".

I'm apparently too dense to see how you're doing this.

How are you doing this?

Thank you.
Dan Worley

Re: Paste At Wiper

Post by Dan Worley »

fgagne wrote:I've watched the video and it looks like you simply mention that you're "pasting to wiper".

I'm apparently too dense to see how you're doing this.

How are you doing this?

Thank you.
Hey, yeah, that would be helpful now wouldn't it? :banghead:

Go to Setup > Commands and search for "wiper." You will see it there and you can assign your own command to it. There's also Merge at Wiper and a few other ones.
DP10.13
reedster

Post by reedster »

When Smart Selections is on, Paste to Wiper pastes at the same relative position as the source, rather than exactly at the wiper.

DP8.07
MacBook Pro 9,1 15" 16gb | 10.12.4 | DP 9.13 | xAir | NI | WIVI | Garritan | Izotope | Bidule
Dan Worley

Post by Dan Worley »

reedster wrote:When Smart Selections is on, Paste to Wiper pastes at the same relative position as the source, rather than exactly at the wiper.

DP8.07
Yes, that's pointed out in the video. Very handy.
DP10.13
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

Dan Worley wrote:
reedster wrote:When Smart Selections is on, Paste to Wiper pastes at the same relative position as the source, rather than exactly at the wiper.

DP8.07
What I see here is that the above is true as long as there is NO current selection. If there is one, DP will ignore the wiper and paste at the beginning of the selection, even if Smart Selections are on. This applies exactly the same for the insertion point as well.

Actually, the only way I can get it to paste at the wiper location is if I press command-D (to get rid of any selection) just before pasting, so there's nothing selected. Otherwise, it'll paste right over the copied region.
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
Dan Worley

Post by Dan Worley »

FMiguelez wrote:
Dan Worley wrote:

DP8.07
What I see here is that the above is true as long as there is NO current selection. If there is one, DP will ignore the wiper and paste at the beginning of the selection, even if Smart Selections are on. This applies exactly the same for the insertion point as well.

Actually, the only way I can get it to paste at the wiper location is if I press command-D (to get rid of any selection) just before pasting, so there's nothing selected. Otherwise, it'll paste right over the copied region.
Weird! I just tested it with both audio and MIDI selections, and what you're describing is not the case here. When I do the command for Paste At Wiper (I use Command Option Shift W), it deselects any selection and pastes right at the wiper, or if Smart Selections is active it pastes to the relative position.

Maybe try a relaunch of DP. That can clear up some strange behavior.

Good luck.
DP10.13
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

Dan Worley wrote: Weird! I just tested it with both audio and MIDI selections, and what you're describing is not the case here. When I do the command for Paste At Wiper (I use Command Option Shift W), it deselects any selection and pastes right at the wiper, or if Smart Selections is active it pastes to the relative position.

Maybe try a relaunch of DP. That can clear up some strange behavior.
Dan!

For Tlaloc's sake! You're totally correct!

I watched your video, and I thought you simply were demonstrating how to regularly paste (with normal paste) to the wiper location. Duh!

I didn't even know this Paste to Wiper command existed in DP at all (thus my confusion). So, thanks to you, I just learnt this neat thing to do in DP.
I just assigned a key command and tried it. It works great!

This happened one time to me with Mike Halloran, and now with you. So, today's lesson is (besides this great new trick), next time something in my mind seems to contradict what Mike Halloran says about hardware, or you about DP, I should really recheck my facts first :oops:

So thank you, my friend! :)

What I wrote about regular pasting still holds down here, though. But this new command will now see a lot of usage in my sessions.
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
Dan Worley

Post by Dan Worley »

So pleased to help in any small way, Fernando.

And, by the way, I did not make it clear in the video what I was doing at all. If it were me watching it, I would have been screaming at the screen. I just assume everyone reads the New Features List and would know about it. My mistake. I cleared it up in the first post.

Thanks for not telling me off. :wink:
DP10.13
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Looks like this video is missing now too? I'll delete if that's the case.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.4.1 Sonoma, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
MIDI Life Crisis

Yep...
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS