DP: Varispeed Pitch Shifting

Moderators: James Steele, Shooshie

Forum rules
This forum is being developed and is intended as intended as a place to bring together various Digital Performer video tutorials. Currently only YouTube videos may be embedded using the [YouTube] BB code.
Umbrella
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by Umbrella »

This is one way to achieve varispeed-esque pitch shifting in DP. Using this method, shifting -up- or -down- above a soundbite's base pitch (encoded sample rate) yields better results than shifting below the soundbite's base pitch.
mkoplin
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Re: DP: Varispeed Pitch Shifting

Post by mkoplin »

audio is not working properly for me.
MacBook Pro, Intel Core 2 Duo, 2.4 GHz, 4GB
Mac Pro, Quad-Core Intel Xeon, 2.8 GHz. 2 Processors, 8 Core, 6 GB

Digital Performer 7.2, M-Audio Axiom 25, Yamaha CVP 305
Umbrella

Post by Umbrella »

You may have to let it run a bit... :wink:
macguy

Post by macguy »

What's varispeed?
Never heard of it.
dix

Post by dix »

What is this video suppose to be showing us? I can't make any sense out of it. Perhaps the audio isn't playing correctly?
14-inch MBP M1 Max (2021), 13.6.x, 64GB RAM, UAD Quad Tb Satellite, 4 displays ::: 2009 4,1 > 5,1 MacPro 12-core 3.33 ghz , 10.14.x, 96GB RAM, GeForce GTX 770 , NewerTech eSATA/USB3 PCIe Host Adapter, UAD-2 Quad, ::: 15-inch MBP (2015) 10.14.x, 16GB RAM ::: Lynx Aurora (n) USB ::: DP (latest version), Vienna Ensemble Pro danwool.com
stephentayler

Post by stephentayler »

It's actually showing how to do a pitch bend, like using a pitch wheel, on audio. Actually nothing to do with varispeed (which is all about changing the pitch AND time, like using a speed control on a tape machine)

Cheers

Stephen
Stephen W Tayler: Sound Artist
http://www.chimera-arts.com
http://ostinatomusic.com
http://stephentayler.com

Mac Pro 16Gb RAM, OSX 10.10, DP 8, PT 11, Logic 9.1.8, MOTU Traveler, Ultralite Mk 3 Hybrid, MC MIx, MOTU VIs, Waves, Izotope Everything, Spectrasonics, SoundToys, Slate, Softube, NI , spl Surround Monitor Controller, spl Auditor Headphone amp, Genelec 1031A, 1029 5.1 system, Sontronics Mics, iPad etc..
Umbrella

Post by Umbrella »

stephentayler wrote:It's actually showing how to do a pitch bend, like using a pitch wheel, on audio. Actually nothing to do with varispeed (which is all about changing the pitch AND time, like using a speed control on a tape machine)

Cheers

Stephen
Using a pitch wheel has "nothing to do with varispeed"? Erm... Have you ever played with the pitch wheel on a traditional sampler? The pitch and time change as you move the wheel. Doing so amounts to the digital equivalent of tape varispeed.

"Standard Pitch Shift" mode for soundbites puts DP's pitch automation into control of the pitch and duration of the digital audio. It is not a true emulation of tape varispeed, however, because in going below the soundbite's encoded sampling rate, DP's algorithm forces what would be a longer soundbite into truncated pieces; hence, the note about going above the encoded sampling rate yielding better results.
macguy

Post by macguy »

As I listen I can say I don't want to ever use varispeed in my productions...
I never even heard of the effect... I must be in the dark ages.
I know about changing the speed of the capstan on an analog machine, but never had the urge to go do that during a production... my band mates would whoop my rear end!!! Different strokes for different folks I guess.
Dwetmaster

Post by Dwetmaster »

I think the idea is a good alternative if the chipmunk effect is desired. Maybe Umbrella could have chosen a different sample to do his video with. So that we could've seen (and heard) the effect of varispeed a bit more. And in a less speaker blowing way... :)

Thanks Umbrella!!!
MacPro 8Core 2.8GHZ 16GB RAM OSX10.8.3
MacBook Pro 17" Unibody 2011 OSX10.8.3
896mk3, BLA Modded 896HD, BLA Microclock, MTP-AV, Yamaha KX-8, CME VX-7 Mackie Ctrl, megadrum, Presonus C-S,
DP8.04, Bidule, M5 3, Ethno 2, BPM 1.5 Kontakt4, BFD2, SD2, Omnisphere, Wave Arts P-S5, Altiverb7, PSP VW & OldTimer, VB3, Ivory 2 Grand, True Pianos, Ozone 5, Reason 4, AmpliTube3, Bla bla bla...
A few El & Ac basses & Guitars, Hammond A-100.
dix

Post by dix »

macguy wrote:As I listen I can say I don't want to ever use varispeed in my productions...
I know about changing the speed of the capstan on an analog machine, but never had the urge to go do that during a production... my band mates would whoop my rear end!!! Different strokes for different folks I guess.
I agree. Based on this example vari-speed seems not at all useful. No offense Umbrella. Thank you for taking the time to create this video and posting, but it's not a demo of vari-speed exactly. It just sounds and looks like you're modifying pitch automation. Does that program sound different without Standard Pitch Shift?

At the risk of re-heating a common topic, until the digital era vari-speed usage was common. Debatably as common as delay, eq and compression. Nearly every Beatles recording from Rubber Soul on employed vari-speed at some point in the process. Listen to Strawberry Fields Forever for a veritable showcase of what this technique is capable of.

More than you could possibly want to read on the subject: http://www.motunation.com/forum/viewtop ... vari+speed" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
14-inch MBP M1 Max (2021), 13.6.x, 64GB RAM, UAD Quad Tb Satellite, 4 displays ::: 2009 4,1 > 5,1 MacPro 12-core 3.33 ghz , 10.14.x, 96GB RAM, GeForce GTX 770 , NewerTech eSATA/USB3 PCIe Host Adapter, UAD-2 Quad, ::: 15-inch MBP (2015) 10.14.x, 16GB RAM ::: Lynx Aurora (n) USB ::: DP (latest version), Vienna Ensemble Pro danwool.com
Umbrella

Post by Umbrella »

You guys are a riot! :rofl:
jjhp3

Post by jjhp3 »

I think varispeed is indeed useful; but I use SoundHack for the real deal. Don't make fun of music that's not your style... all tools are useful to someone and I appreciate Umbrella giving it a shot for us all!

John
MBP 2.66 / DP7.22 / OS X10.9.4 + UltraLiteMkIII
dpg4macman

Post by dpg4macman »

Thanks Um,

Appreciated - mvh
zed

Post by zed »

macguy wrote:As I listen I can say I don't want to ever use varispeed in my productions...
As already mentioned above, the Beatles used varispeed in a lot of songs by indeed varying the speed on the tape machine. It was a good stroke for those folks, and for the generations who have loved the songs they created employing this technique and variations of it.

So you really must be in the dark ages... (i.e. the era before multi-track recording.) ;-)
MacPro 2.8 GHz 8-Core Intel Xeon | 14 GB RAM | OS 10.11.6 | DP 8