The Digital Performer Tips Sheet

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
ata
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Re: The Digital Performer Tips Sheet

Post by ata »

If i press shift+m mixing board emerges at the bottom instead of taking the entire space. Is there fix for it?
Michael Canavan
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by Michael Canavan »

ata wrote:If i press shift+m mixing board emerges at the bottom instead of taking the entire space. Is there fix for it?
In Preferences you can choose which types of windows dock into the Consolidated window.
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Even faster. Hit ctl-1 to pop any window out of the consolidated window.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
ata
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by ata »

Thanks.
Last edited by ata on Sat Feb 24, 2018 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

You might want to post your general questions in new threads. The tip sheet thread is not only the wrong place, but your questions will go unnoticed by many who might have an answer. Please check out the sections, which were thoughtfully created by the owner of the site.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

To all:

I returned to the wreckage of my posts known as the Tips Sheet tonight, and was once again devastated to see all the work which had gone to waste because of the changes at Dropbox, the internet file-hosting company. It's been a while, now, but I never figured out a way to make it work again. In fact, the people at Dropbox said there is no way. The only viable way to repair all the broken links and image files is to go post-by-post, locate the broken links, find backups of the files listed, load them to a new host, and repair the link for the new URL. The amount of work involved makes me shudder. I did that at least twice before, when Apple pulled the plug on various forms of hosting. There weren't nearly as many files, then. I thought Dropbox would be a permanent solution, as long as I paid the bill each year, so I've used a lot more image files and external links over the past several years. Tons of them. It was easier to take a screenshot than to explain it, so I did that often. Then Dropbox completely terminated all Public Folder hosting. No more Public Folder; no more forum posted images and links.

The result is that most of my work over the past 5 or 6 years is unintelligible in the Tips Sheet and in other posts throughout MOTUNation. I apologize for that. I'll never forgive Dropbox for doing that to us. I guess each of us must simply rent our own server space with our own domain names, and use only that. If one closes down on you, at least when you find a new web hosting server, it's still your own domain name, so the links remain viable.

Most of the original Tips (page 1) were done without links or images so that this would never be a problem. Thank goodness for THAT much. I was starting to bend that rule a little, so there may still be a few broken tips even in those first three posts which house the majority of the tips. But after page 1, things get sketchy. Some of the posts on page 2 were entirely image files. Without repairing them, those are just lost.

I don't know how to proceed from here. James gave me access to some space on the MOTUNation server, though I'd have to ask him the password again; I've forgotten it. But to replace all those images and links would take a lot of midnight oil. I'm not saying I won't do it, but the inspiration will have to strike at a good moment, and there are none of those for the immediately foreseeable future. Life got very busy for me a year or two ago, and I've not been active on the forum or even as a musician or engineer. After 40-odd years of an intensely musical professional life, that's been an interesting change, though I know I'll return to music when some of my more recent responsibilities lighten up a little. That's still quite some time away. I can only say that I hope to find a way to make this information current and viable again. My ideal fix would be to make videos of all those lost tips rather than trying to locate the files and fix them. I think the videos would not be any more difficult to do than fixing the files, and they would be far preferable. That's pie-in-the-sky at this point. I don't even have time to blow my nose, most of the time. But I can envision a day, in a year or so, when I could begin work on such a project.

I don't want to deliver false hopes or vaporware, so for now please accept my apology for the gaping holes in what used to be these tips. Just know that I haven't given up.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
toodamnhip

Post by toodamnhip »

Bummer bro, I recall how detailed some of your video on the various tool tips were. Seems like no good deed goes unpunished sometimes in this ever changing world...
Mac Pro (Late 2013
2.7 GHz 12-Core Intel Xeon E5
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
Mojave
DP 10.13
MOTU 8pre, MTP AV, 828 mkII
Tons of VIS and plug ins. SSD hard drives etc
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Shooshie wrote:To all:

I returned to the wreckage of my posts known as the Tips Sheet tonight, and was once again devastated to see all the work which had gone to waste because of the changes at Dropbox, the internet file-hosting company.

-----

I don't want to deliver false hopes or vaporware, so for now please accept my apology for the gaping holes in what used to be these tips. Just know that I haven't given up.

Shooshie
I noticed I have a PDF of the Tips but it is dated end of 2007. But I have also printed parts of the Tips thread to PDF from time to time and put these in a How To folder. Perhaps others have done this and could provide these files. You wouldn't have the original image links that could be updated, but perhaps at least an archive of much of the thread.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Hey Shooshie... if there’s a way to get into the Dropbox account, I may be able to copy all the files into a directory on the server hosting MOTUnation. If I preserve the directory structure it’s possible I could do a global search and replace in the MySQL database and fix all the broken links.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.4.1 Sonoma, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Could a search/replace like that fix all 12 pages of the Tips Sheet in one go? The Dropbox Public Folder directory is mostly flat, with some multiple-image posts occupying another folder which in turn occupied the Public Folder. File names used here nearly always began with "DP." From the point where the file names begin — or the penultimate folder name with its enclosed files — it should all map over easily. It's really just a matter of replacing the server directory info once the files are copied into wherever you want to put them. I could just FTP the files into that directory, which is what you were asking me to do originally. I just kept looking at the having to go through all those posts, and never found that kind of time block to do it in. All told, the relevant parts of the Public Folder are probably 2 GB in size.

I don't know how important it is, but years of posting at MOTUNation have built up a large amount of files for posts through a variety of forums here. Is it possible to do that search/replace on the entire database? That would fix the images/files in the history of all my posts here. Most people probably would be encountering the ones in the Tips Sheet, rather than old threads from 5 years ago, but those old threads do still exist when people search for previously posted answers. The images are all posted in the same place, that Dropbox Public folder. Now I realize that I was probably an idiot to trust Dropbox, same as I trusted Apple during the "homepage.mac.com" years. Never again will I trust any company with my posted files unless the directory is my own.

Shoosh
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Shooshie wrote:Could a search/replace like that fix all 12 pages of the Tips Sheet in one go? The Dropbox Public Folder directory is mostly flat, with some multiple-image posts occupying another folder which in turn occupied the Public Folder. File names used here nearly always began with "DP." From the point where the file names begin — or the penultimate folder name with its enclosed files — it should all map over easily. It's really just a matter of replacing the server directory info once the files are copied into wherever you want to put them. I could just FTP the files into that directory, which is what you were asking me to do originally. I just kept looking at the having to go through all those posts, and never found that kind of time block to do it in. All told, the relevant parts of the Public Folder are probably 2 GB in size.

I don't know how important it is, but years of posting at MOTUNation have built up a large amount of files for posts through a variety of forums here. Is it possible to do that search/replace on the entire database? That would fix the images/files in the history of all my posts here. Most people probably would be encountering the ones in the Tips Sheet, rather than old threads from 5 years ago, but those old threads do still exist when people search for previously posted answers. The images are all posted in the same place, that Dropbox Public folder. Now I realize that I was probably an idiot to trust Dropbox, same as I trusted Apple during the "homepage.mac.com" years. Never again will I trust any company with my posted files unless the directory is my own.

Shoosh
Yes.... if all your image links began with the same string of characters, for example "http://dropbox.com/shooshie/" it's possible I can do a global search and replace directly in the MySQL database tools and search for every occurrence in the entire message database and replace with the new directory where we copied the graphics over to.

I know I've done it once before a long time ago, with something and I think I might be able to do it again. I'd do a full backup of the database prior to trying that of course! LOL But yes... it's theoretically possible that we just upload same graphics/videos to a directory on motunation.com and then run a global search and replace that would likely take just a few minutes and whammo! Problem solved. :)
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.4.1 Sonoma, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

You've got my full attention, James!
Tell me how to upload it. I think I still have an FTP client around here somewhere. If not, I can surely download one.

Shoosh
Michael Canavan

Post by Michael Canavan »

Hey Shooshie if you're still around, I was looking for your video on tempo mapping free recorded MIDI and Audio. Even went through your youtube account. :)

Anyway really appreciate the work that was done on this tips sheet. 8)
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Michael Canavan wrote:Hey Shooshie if you're still around, I was looking for your video on tempo mapping free recorded MIDI and Audio. Even went through your youtube account. :)

Anyway really appreciate the work that was done on this tips sheet. 8)
Magic Dave, or maybe some other MOTU person did some videos on this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ocp4ftAeQjg
No, it was Dave Das.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
joelmusic

Post by joelmusic »

I'm not sure if this one is in here but...

When bouncing, if you switch to another application during the bounce, it goes _much_ faster - sometimes over twice as fast for me...
Mac Studio Max - 32GB Ram, Komplete Kontrol S88, Komplete 13, DP11, UAD Apollo Twin Duo, East/West Composer Cloud, Vienna, Arturia V8, Yamaha Enspire Pro Disklavier Piano