SSD as an alternative to more memory?

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
Gate 13
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

SSD as an alternative to more memory?

Post by Gate 13 »

Hello,
Quick question: would a SSD be a good alternative to extra memory for a Dp project with a lot of samples loaded? I mean
If yes, would you use the SSD to install DP(7) or use the drive for the samples (e.g. Play symphonic orchestra, kontakt, etc)?
Thanks
Mac Pro 2X 2.66 GHz Dual Core Intel Xeon, Snow Leopard OS X 10.6.8, 13GB RAM/ DP 7.24/ Plogue Bidule/SWQL Symphonic Orchestra (Gold),Hollywood Brass(Gold), SWQL RA, SD2, Symphonic Choirs/KONTAKT 4, Cinesamples Hollywoodwinds
MIDI Life Crisis

Re: SSD as an alternative to more memory?

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

I believe that an SSD, while fast, is no match for more RAM. Again, it's called RANDOM ACCESS MEMORY because the data can be called up instantly. An SSD still needs to write (and then read) samples and that is going to be slower than RAM. Memory is not all that expensive these days. Probably less expensive than an SSD. I'd just buy as much RAM as you can afford. 32GB seems to be a workable amount, if your machine can handle that much. If not, get the max and get back to work. ;) At least, that's what I'd do... I mean, did... LOL

https://eshop.macsales.com/search/?q=mac+pro+2x+266+RAM
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Gate 13

Post by Gate 13 »

I just purchased more memory and from 13 i went to 28 GB but i disnt see any difference. I still dont know why.
Is it my mac pro 1.1 ( early 2006), the Kontakt 4, the symphonic orchestra?
I dont know. But it still had the meter going to red, and from the 28GB only the 4 were used ( i checked the activity monitor).
Nobody really explained to me why but it had to do with 32 bit vs 64 . I still dont understand what the problem was but still I didnt see any difference in performance. I returned the memory today
Mac Pro 2X 2.66 GHz Dual Core Intel Xeon, Snow Leopard OS X 10.6.8, 13GB RAM/ DP 7.24/ Plogue Bidule/SWQL Symphonic Orchestra (Gold),Hollywood Brass(Gold), SWQL RA, SD2, Symphonic Choirs/KONTAKT 4, Cinesamples Hollywoodwinds
Gravity Jim

Post by Gravity Jim »

The meter you see going into the red is not reporting how much RAM you are using, but how much CPU. Both more RAM and faster HDs can make a big difference in performance, but neither will help an overloaded computer brain. I'm guessing your 1,1 MacPro just hasn't got the mental horsepower to run a symphonic library (which frequently feature massive scripting that eats CPU like Kobayashi at Der Weinerschitzel).
Jim Bordner

MacPro 5,1 (3.33Ghz 12-core), 32g RAM, OS X 10.14.6 • MOTU DP 10.11 • Logic Pro X 10.2.5 • Waves Platinum, UAD-2, Slate Digital, Komplete, Omnisphere 2, LASS, CineSamples, Chipsounds, V Collection 5[color]
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

There a few threads on here related to multi threading. You might solve you problems a bit by distributing CPU load by following the suggestions for be in those discussions. I don't recall if a 1,1 mac can multi thread or not.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

If you don't have enough RAM, adding more makes a difference. If you have enough, you will not see a speed increase.

Many tasks involve access from or writing to a drive. You will notice a huge performance increase as long as a) the SSD is your boot drive as well as your Applications drive and b) the drive is large enough.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Gate 13

Post by Gate 13 »

Thank you all.
I will see what I will do.
Have a great weekend.