Tracking, overdubs and buffer settings

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
philbrown
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Tracking, overdubs and buffer settings

Post by philbrown »

When possible, I like mixing as I go on a project. Here’s the generic short version:
Track drums, bass and start getting them sounding good with various plugs while overdubbing guitars, keys then vox. So I have the mix far enough along with enough plug-ins running that now if I try to overdub something like Keyscape or other CPU hogs at a low buffer setting, the computer starts choking. Running at a high buffer kills the feel and makes it virtually impossible to track. One clunky solution is to bounce a rough mix, drop it in another project with a low buffer, cut the key part(s) to that and bring that back into the original project. I used to run a separate VI computer but that’s not practical at this point and has other drawbacks.

I’m curious how you guys handle this situation.
2020 iMac 27" 3.6GHz 10 core i9 • Mac OS 12.2.1 • DP 11.04 • UAD-8 Octo card • Midas M32R

Plugs: UAD•Slate•Scuffham•Flux IRCAM•NI Komplete•Klanghelm•Waves•Spectrasonics•Arturia•Soundtoys•Nomad Factory•PSP•Stillwell•Cytomic•Korg•Five12•GForce
HCMarkus

Re: Tracking, overdubs and buffer settings

Post by HCMarkus »

One approach:

When a project is pretty far along and another part needs to be added, using a hardware synth's internal sounds can provide the tight feel desired. Perform with a sound that is similar in character to the desired VI, then replace with the VI on playback.

Edit: Make sure you monitor the hardware synth thru a hardware mixer, not thru the computer.
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

Don't forget about Freeze Tracks. It's easier than bounce for what you're doing, I think.

Phil
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

HCMarkus wrote:One approach:

When a project is pretty far along and another part needs to be added, using a hardware synth's internal sounds can provide the tight feel desired. Perform with a sound that is similar in character to the desired VI, then replace with the VI on playback.

Edit: Make sure you monitor the hardware synth thru a hardware mixer, not thru the computer.
+ 1000!

A lot of times I start composing using my JV-2080. Sometimes I finish the composition stage all with hardware, and, when finished, simply copy paste into the VI tracks (which can be made in one single operation). Oh, and it always sounds much better at the end with the big bad boy instruments!

An additioonal benefit is that you really concentrate on the composition/orchestrating aspects without being distracted by the quality of the sounds.
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
philbrown

Post by philbrown »

Thanks guys and a big duh from me. I used to do that sometimes but that workflow just slipped my mind lately.
FMiguelez wrote: A lot of times I start composing using my JV-2080. Sometimes I finish the composition stage all with hardware, and, when finished, simply copy paste into the VI tracks (which can be made in one single operation). Oh, and it always sounds much better at the end with the big bad boy instruments!

An additioonal benefit is that you really concentrate on the composition/orchestrating aspects without being distracted by the quality of the sounds.
Perfect. I have Jupiter 80 and Deepmind (analog) keyboards sitting here– again, duh. Thanks for the reminders. It also frees you up later to not think about playing the parts themselves but to scroll through presets or create/edit sounds in the context of the mix.
2020 iMac 27" 3.6GHz 10 core i9 • Mac OS 12.2.1 • DP 11.04 • UAD-8 Octo card • Midas M32R

Plugs: UAD•Slate•Scuffham•Flux IRCAM•NI Komplete•Klanghelm•Waves•Spectrasonics•Arturia•Soundtoys•Nomad Factory•PSP•Stillwell•Cytomic•Korg•Five12•GForce
Maxxy

Post by Maxxy »

I learned it here some time ago

Use a plug-in free mix in the Mixing board

So….. Duplicate your current mix…. that saves it as Mix 1….

Then make a new mix… this will make a new mix without any plug-ins….but will retain your instruments….It will be Mix 2

You can now flick over to Mix 2, without all the processing, whenever you want to minimise buffer settings for real-time input….

As posted here ….you can also, or alternatively, freeze the instrument tracks to take further strain off the buffers…I guess it depends where your CPU is being taxed most

Also make sure to have no plugs on the master output

If you have a lot of bite gains, pitch edits, sound bite edits, time stretches etc of audio tracks… you can also merge all soundbites… which further allows the computer to run as freely as possible
Mac mini 2023 M2 Pro, 32g RAM, LG 32UD99 4k monitor on HDMI, OSX 13.6.1, DP 11.3, MOTU TB AVB 16A w/AVB Monitor 8 on ethernet cable, UAD Apollo x8, Netstor TB3 PCIe card expansion w/ UAD-2... 1 x Octo and 2 x Quad cards, Softube Console 1 MkII & Fader Control