QuickScribe Rhythmic Display

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
Rick Cornish
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by Rick Cornish »

Hi.......
I read through a couple threads on this topic, but none were more recent than a few years ago, so I'll check in on this:

Is there a way to get QuickScribe to NOT display dotted-8th/16th rhythms as broken triplets? This is really annoying. :banghead:

I've tried…
• Quantizing the notes on X|1|000 and X|1|360 (i.e. exactly on the downbeat and last 16th) and QS persists in labeling them as triplets.
• Setting the Snap to…" grid in the SE to 16th notes (Snap info is greyed out when the QS window is active)

Does anyone have any good news on this?
Rick Cornish

DP 11 on M2 Mac Studio (64mB mem. + 2tB int. SSD + two 2tB ext. SSDs, and Mac OS Sonoma). VIs from MOTU, Spectrasonics, NI, UVI, 8dio, Soniccouture, East West, Spitfire, Heavyocity, Vir2, and more; plus Waves 14, Brainworx, iZotope, Wavesfactory, Oeksound, Final Mix, JST, SPL, PSP, UVI, Valhalla DSP, and other FX plugs, Roland A-88, Apogee Quartet, iCON Platform Nano, Genelec 1032a and Westlake BBSM4 monitors, Gibson HR Fusion III. rickcornish.net
stubbsonic

Re: QuickScribe Rhythmic Display

Post by stubbsonic »

It is weird that DP's notation engine sometimes has a mind of its own. I might have a rhythm that is not displaying correctly and I change something unrelated and it fixes it.

You might try nudging the 2nd note (the 16th) a little later until DP decides to show it differently. I never tried that, but it couldn't hurt.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
Rick Cornish

Post by Rick Cornish »

stubbsonic wrote:You might try nudging the 2nd note (the 16th) a little later until DP decides to show it differently. I never tried that, but it couldn't hurt.
Thanks, Stubbsonic. I may try that, though I actually prefer the feel with the final 16th note slightly ahead.

I hit MOTU with a TechLink as well. We'll see what they have to say.
Rick Cornish

DP 11 on M2 Mac Studio (64mB mem. + 2tB int. SSD + two 2tB ext. SSDs, and Mac OS Sonoma). VIs from MOTU, Spectrasonics, NI, UVI, 8dio, Soniccouture, East West, Spitfire, Heavyocity, Vir2, and more; plus Waves 14, Brainworx, iZotope, Wavesfactory, Oeksound, Final Mix, JST, SPL, PSP, UVI, Valhalla DSP, and other FX plugs, Roland A-88, Apogee Quartet, iCON Platform Nano, Genelec 1032a and Westlake BBSM4 monitors, Gibson HR Fusion III. rickcornish.net
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

Whenever I'm preparing tracks for notation, I USUALLY will copy a track and have one version for playback and one version for notation, that way I can have it the way I want to hear it, and another for how I want to see it.

For example, I'd rarely want to hear things quantized, especially note releases. But for notation, it just makes things look as they should.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

buzzsmith

Post by buzzsmith »

On a related note...

I, too, generally do a lot of mock ups in DP using QuickScribe before transferring the data to Finale.
I heavily quantize, sometimes bar by bar, to make the transcription process easier for Finale.

I have noticed, however, that if I use "Smart Quantize" for attacks and releases sometimes the duration of random (apparently) notes is just one tick. Like 001.

Finale will ignore these notes and not translate them into its file.

I know that I can "Select All" within DP and QS and enter a minimum duration which helps but if I have 8ths, 16ths and some triplets it can be tricky.

If I'm missing something here, I'd be happy to hear of another workaround!

Thanks...

Buzzy

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Early 2009 Mac Pro 4,1>5,1 3.33 GHz Hex Core Intel Xeon OS X 10.8.5 SSD (32 gigs RAM)
DP 9.51 PCI-424e / original 2408, 2408mkII, 24I/O, MTP-AV

Yamaha C7 Conservatory Grand
Hammond B-3 / Leslie 145
Focal Twin6 Be(s)

stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

I never use Smart Quantize, and I don't know what advantages it offers, but it sounds like that's a pretty significant downside.

Rick Cornish

Post by Rick Cornish »

Thanks for the input, gents. All good stuff.

Just to bring focus to the discussion, I'm NOT asking how to export XML for good display in Finale or to re-jigger QuickScribe display for better printing direct from DP. I have a "Composing" window setup with a large QS window displaying the tracks for tonal instruments where I'd like to see a better musical representation of what I'm writing as I work.

Continuing to forge ahead...
Rick Cornish

Rick Cornish

Post by Rick Cornish »

Discovery: Looks like the note durations have more to do with how QS interprets MIDI data than I realized. If I quantize the durations, the notes display correctly.
Rick Cornish

buzzsmith

Post by buzzsmith »

Rick Cornish wrote:Discovery: Looks like the note durations have more to do with how QS interprets MIDI data than I realized. If I quantize the durations, the notes display correctly.
I have found, at times, that even quantizing durations is still flaky.

Sometimes, it’s the note proceeding or the note after that messes with the algorithm.

Buzzy

(9.5 if the sig doesn’t display.)
Early 2009 Mac Pro 4,1>5,1 3.33 GHz Hex Core Intel Xeon OS X 10.8.5 SSD (32 gigs RAM)
DP 9.51 PCI-424e / original 2408, 2408mkII, 24I/O, MTP-AV

Yamaha C7 Conservatory Grand
Hammond B-3 / Leslie 145
Focal Twin6 Be(s)

tbrianmann

Post by tbrianmann »

Yes to above. I have to quantize lengths of notes, to get a clean display. In polyphony, all the previous notes need to be quantized as well, an note hanging over from previous beat, will generate a separate voice type notation.
DP 11.22, MacBook Pro M1 ultra, 64 gig memory Ventura 13.41 VePro7x, Play, Spectrasonics, SLATE Complete, LASS, Native bundle, 8dio, Various Plugs, Waves, Metric Halo Interface.
tbrianmann

Post by tbrianmann »

On the subject of Rhythmic display, does anyone know how to display rhythm slashes in QS?
DP 11.22, MacBook Pro M1 ultra, 64 gig memory Ventura 13.41 VePro7x, Play, Spectrasonics, SLATE Complete, LASS, Native bundle, 8dio, Various Plugs, Waves, Metric Halo Interface.
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

You can't. When I've needed to display rhythms, I just use center line (B in treble clef). Otherwise, you need to export MIDI to a notation program.

I saw that Muse Score (free) allows you to import rhythms that are on that center line, and swap out the noteheads for rhythm slashes.

Rick Cornish

Post by Rick Cornish »

An update for those following this topic:

I posted a MOTU TechLink and Magic Dave responded. After looking at my file, he concluded that DP’s transcription engine is preventing QuickScribe from correctly displaying dotted eighth/sixteenth rhythms and he was forwarding this info to the developers.
Rick Cornish

frankf

Post by frankf »

tbrianmann wrote:On the subject of Rhythmic display, does anyone know how to display rhythm slashes in QS?
No go in QS, but with smaller ensembles and orchestrations, I print without articulation, dynamics, slashes and hand write them in. So much faster. Larger scores with many parts, it's port to a dedicated notation app.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Frank Ferrucci
http://www.ferruccimusic.com
Mac Pro 6,1 64gb RAM DP9.52 OSX 10.12.6 MIO 2882d & ULN2d Firewire Audio Interfaces, MOTU MTP-AV USB
greg328

Post by greg328 »

My technique for more accurate Quickscribe rhythms is to manually quantize (100% strength) not only the problem measure, but the measures around it. This seems to correct any misinterpreted triplets into 8ths/16ths.
This without having to alter note length.

Greg

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
Mac Studio Ultra, 64 GIG RAM, Apollo Quad, OS 13.4.1 Ventura
DP 11.22, Yamaha Motif XS8, Novation MoroderNova, UAD Apollo and FX plugs, Lots of PLAY/OPUS libraries, Ivory 2, lots of Arturia titles, all 4 Spectrasonics titles, NI Komplete 13, BFD2-3, Addictive Drums 2, MachFive 3, Pianoteq 6, lots of UVI Workstation titles, All 5 MusicLab guitars-RealGuitar, RealStrat, RealLesPaulCustom, RealRickenbacker and RealEight.