Problem assigning foot pedal to start playback.

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
JLEpperson
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Problem assigning foot pedal to start playback.

Post by JLEpperson »

I'm using DP 9.51 for live performance with a band for backing tracks. I use a Focusrite 18i/20 interface with a novation keyboard connected. MIDI out from the Kybd to in on the interface and a foot pedal connected to the sustain port. In commands I select play toggle start/stop and press the foot pedal. It excepts and shows the command so I know DP is seeing the information coming from the kybd. Still, nothing happens when I hit the pedal. This has been working fine up until I changed computers and upgraded from 8 to 9.51. Any suggestions? Am I forgetting to do something in DP? Midisetup? Interface? Kybd?
Thanks
JSmith1234567

Re: Problem assigning foot pedal to start playback.

Post by JSmith1234567 »

Have you checked if the Transport Masters section in the commands window is enabled?
OSX Big Sur (latest). Mac Pro Late 2013 ("trash-can"), 3.5 Ghz 6-Core Intel XeonE5, 64GB RAM. Motu DP 11.03, Vienna Pro Server, Presonus Notion, Osculator, Keyboard Maestro
JLEpperson

Post by JLEpperson »

Yes transport and master are selected. I also tried it without the master selected.
cuttime
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by cuttime »

Are you sure that the pedal is showing #64?

https://www.snoize.com/MIDIMonitor/
828x MacOS 13.6.5 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.31
JLEpperson

Post by JLEpperson »

Yes
JLEpperson

Post by JLEpperson »

I tried to assign it to a key on the keyboard as well. Note shows in the commands but doesnt start playback.
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

Call MOTU and you will probably get a quick fix.
JLEpperson

Post by JLEpperson »

It works if I assign it to just play. When play/toggle it plays for about quarter of a second then stops.

i did call motu and I was on hold for an hour. Finally got tired of waiting.
gseibert

Post by gseibert »

Have you tried using MidiMnitor to examine what the Novation actually produces? Is your pedal just a simple switch? Some sustain pedals actually are continuous controllers and not switches producing values of 127 or zero. Releasing the pedal may not produce a value zero and that confuses the process.
2020 iMac 10 core 32 g ram, Catalina, DP11.04, UA Apollo X4, MTP/av usb, Komplete Ultimate 13,Albion One, BBCSO Core, TX81Z, SPX90, Digitech Studio Quad v2, Tascam DA20 mkII, Alesis ADAT, Roland s750, Mackie line mixer, Korg Z1, Roland A80, DX7, Kurzweil K2500X, Kurzweil K2000R, Kurzweil PC3, Korg 168rc Event 20/20 bas, Mini-Moog, EMS Synthi aks
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

JLEpperson wrote:It works if I assign it to just play. When play/toggle it plays for about quarter of a second then stops.

i did call motu and I was on hold for an hour. Finally got tired of waiting.
Folks say a morning call is best.