Is Anyone still using Metagrid with DP?

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
cuttime
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Is Anyone still using Metagrid with DP?

Post by cuttime »

I gave up in frustration months ago. Not only was it counterintuitive to my workflow, but I found the Layouts and Button editing more trouble than they were worth. Another big problem was that the Metagrid keybindings were mapped to MIDI CCs. Hitting a controller on my rig and file selectors or New Project windows would open!? That one cost me a few last hairs. Anyway, a new version came out today. I was told by someone supposedly in the know that faders would be included in the new DP layout (they weren't). It seems the only real difference was more incorporation with a DAW who shall not be named. I was tempted to give another go at it, and I hit all the same stumbling blocks as before, even after editing the custom MG keybindings. I really want to like it, since iOS controllers are still iffy for DP, but either I just don't get it, or there are just too many stumbling blocks for me. Does anyone here still use it? If so, what was your Aha! moment?
828x MacOS 13.6.5 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.31
JSmith1234567
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Re: Is Anyone still using Metagrid with DP?

Post by JSmith1234567 »

Oh man!

I am so interested in this thread.

I tried Metagrid, TouschOSC, Lemur, and many, many countless others.

I just kept buying them and trying them, hoping that one would do at least some of what I wanted.

They all had their good points, but mostly warts.

I ended up using TouchOSC, but only for key-switching VI's. Nothing else in this app seems to work (other features).

All of these apps seem to be abandoned by their developers...multiple emails to each were met by months of dead silence...totally Zero replies.

The Avid one that was supposed to emulate the Artist Control series didn't really work either in the real-world. Also once you get it on your computer, you can't seem to un-install it, even with AppZapper or anything else.

MOTU abandoned DP Control, in favor of stuff that just lets you adjust levels on their hardware-interfaces (I already have this with my Apogee stuff).

To control DP and faders /automation in realtime completely specific to DP would be terrific, but that is not evidently a priority with MOTU.

The Mackie Control emulators I have tried for iPad are totally flakey.

The one thing I seem to have seen, though not tried out yet, is that there is something called "Osculator", that you need to make any of these work as advertised, even if it is not in their documentation.

With TouchOSC, MIDI keyswitching works but the macro/keystroke stuff does not.

Supposedly "Osculator" helps with this.

If I ever get the time, evidently adding Osculator to the mix would make some of it work better , but again, this comes not from the people who did TouchOSC, who seemed to have abandoned the effort.

I DO wish that Motu would take the effort to get DP Control working again.

If you find out anything more, I could love to know! Thank you!
OSX Big Sur (latest). Mac Pro Late 2013 ("trash-can"), 3.5 Ghz 6-Core Intel XeonE5, 64GB RAM. Motu DP 11.03, Vienna Pro Server, Presonus Notion, Osculator, Keyboard Maestro
cuttime

Post by cuttime »

Thanks for the reply. I wish I had a lot of constructive ideas to add, unfortunately I don't. At least Metagrid is being updated, and we can only hope that will continue.

I've had my best of luck with the Mackie emulators, most specifically DAW Control, which works pretty well for me, especially if you edit the layout according to the DP Control surface template. But yeah, none of them work as well as the DP Control app. Much has been written here about that, and I don't have much to add.

I recall using Osculator years ago when it was a free application, but I don't even have it on my computer any more, which should tell you something.

Back to Metagrid: It really is a well made app that looks great. Obviously a lot of care was made in creating it. I really want it to work, but as I Google around the web, I think I found a total of two or three people who find it indispensable. I guess they're not on Motunation (or are they?). As I said, the app is still being developed, and I really want to keep supporting this initiative.
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

I've tried a lot of them too. They all try to do everything for everyone, and take a lot of effort to get set up for a specific purpose, and then do a so-so job. I spent a lot of time setting a couple of them up, and when they worked, they were OK, but neither was able to maintain a stable connection with DP. I always end up going back to my old BCF2000. We need something dedicated to the purpose, something you turn on, and it starts working immediately every time with no further action on the user's part.

The AVID thing looked promising, but whenever I tried to get that going, AVID wanted my iLok password. My ID, I can understand, but giving out my password? To AVID. No way.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
rpmusic

Post by rpmusic »

I'm an avid Metagrid user and have nothing but great things to say about it. I've customized to to meet my workflow and it has become such an important piece that I'd be lost without it.

I've used a few different controllers, both software (LEMUR, TouchOSC) and hardware (Novation, Korg) and I find this the most effective controller. At present, my second iPad uses LEMUR (I've created a custom fader pack for all cc faders) along with some other controllers (x - y Pad, harp pedals, etc.) BUT Metagrid will be introducing faders that can also be customized. Once that happens, I'll dedicate that iPad to the faders.

IMO, until you customized your layout you might not find it very user friendly, but once you set it up (and editing is very, very easy) it's such a great controller. Also, I HIGHLY recommend using the USB connect and not Wi Fi - latency over Wi Fi is always and issue with any software controller.
Rob Pottorf Music, Inc.
rp@rpmusic.com
http://www.rpmusic.com
cuttime

Post by cuttime »

Thank you Rob. This is the info I was looking for. As far as I can tell, there is no way to share Metagrid layouts with others, but if you are so inclined, could you please post some sreenshots of your layouts? Many thanks.
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

I’d be interested in seeing them too
Music is movement in silence
My day jon - http://www.audioplanet.pl
My other passion - http://www.aps-company.pl