Stopping automation snap to grid

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
PDGood
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Stopping automation snap to grid

Post by PDGood »

Hi,
I'm trying to perform a simple volume automation on an audio track. I've spent a good hour watching videos, researching the manual, and doing searches and have finally found how to create the automation track and add nodes to it. The issue I'm having now is that the nodes are snapping to some sort of grid so I can't place them where I want.
I would appreciate any help on figuring out how to turn this off.

Also, is there a better resource for information on DP than the manual and youtubes? If every little task takes this long to uncover the basic information I'm going to have a hard time making progress.

Your help would very much be appreciated. I apologize if I'm sounding snarky, I'm just a little frustrated at the moment.

Thanks!
FMiguelez

Re: Stopping automation snap to grid

Post by FMiguelez »

PDGood wrote:Hi,
I'm trying to perform a simple volume automation on an audio track. I've spent a good hour watching videos, researching the manual, and doing searches and have finally found how to create the automation track and add nodes to it. The issue I'm having now is that the nodes are snapping to some sort of grid so I can't place them where I want.
I would appreciate any help on figuring out how to turn this off.
Simply turn off the editing grid.
It's in the top right of the GE window.

If you like to have it on most of the time, and only defeat it occasionally, you do that by pressing command before any moves with the mouse, and the grid will be ignored. So whatever the grid is set to (on or off), the command key will temporarily defeat it.
PDGood wrote: Also, is there a better resource for information on DP than the manual and youtubes? If every little task takes this long to uncover the basic information I'm going to have a hard time making progress.

Your help would very much be appreciated. I apologize if I'm sounding snarky, I'm just a little frustrated at the moment.

Thanks!
The manual is your friend! It's one of the best written ones in the whole industry. If you REALLY want to understand DP, you must make sometime to read the manual.

Patience! If you're new to DP, be realistic and know that it is a very deep and intense program. You could begin to master it in 2 months or so, but you would need to put LOTS of hours into it. Marry DP... You know, loooong nights, and all that. Then, after some time, when you can just write music and don't even think of DP, you'll be glad you invested all that time into it :)

Having said that, these video tutorials are excellent:

https://www.groove3.com/tutorials/Digit ... -Explained

https://www.groove3.com/tutorials/Top-1 ... erformer-9

https://www.groove3.com/tutorials/Digit ... 8-Advanced

Check MOTU's YouTube channel too, if you haven't.
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
PDGood

Post by PDGood »

Thanks very much. Holding the command key worked perfectly and shift/command constrains its position, so that is wonderful. I haven't been able to locate a GE window yet, but I'll keep looking.

I used DP 4.5 many years ago. I read every page of the 900 page manual and really enjoyed using the program. But it's been over ten years and I recall very little of that and there simply isn't time to do that again. Even if I could, the partners that I'm working with are not going to (as they prefer other programs) so if I'm going to convince them to use DP I have to be operational in a hurry. I very much appreciate your help!!

Rob
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

PDGood wrote:I haven't been able to locate a GE window yet, but I'll keep looking.
It's the former name of the MIDI edit window. The control to turn off the snap is near the upper right of most edit windows. P 317 of the manual covers it all in some detail.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8