Basic Komplete Kontrol S61 with DP question

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
dix
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Basic Komplete Kontrol S61 with DP question

Post by dix »

Anyone using and liking a NI Komplete Kontrol keyboard with DP? I'm considering getting one.

I'm not clear on how the keyboard implements with DP. I assume I'd need to install the KK software, but then what? Do NI instruments need to be instantiated in DP in a different way than normal, or does the software detect NI instruments automatically? Would my current sequences need to be rejigged to access the KK functionality? ...and what about NI instruments on VEP servers?

I think I have enough NI software to justify the cost of a KK mk2, but it may be way deeper and have way more live-performance features than I need (i have zero live-performance needs). However, if it works reliably and transparently with DP it would be worth it.

Thanks
14-inch MBP M1 Max (2021), 13.6.x, 64GB RAM, UAD Quad Tb Satellite, 4 displays ::: 2009 4,1 > 5,1 MacPro 12-core 3.33 ghz , 10.14.x, 96GB RAM, GeForce GTX 770 , NewerTech eSATA/USB3 PCIe Host Adapter, UAD-2 Quad, ::: 15-inch MBP (2015) 10.14.x, 16GB RAM ::: Lynx Aurora (n) USB ::: DP (latest version), Vienna Ensemble Pro danwool.com
waxman

Re: Basic Komplete Kontrol S61 with DP question

Post by waxman »

I use both the NI S61 MK2 and the MK3 Maschine. The integration is great. The keyboard is my main controller. Besides NI VI's companies like Arturia have incorporated the NKS system. Instead of scrolling and loading sounds there are samples of every sound that immediately sound when selected. Very useful... The S61 MK2 is a big upgrade from the first S61. It's also buss powered which is great.
waxman
DP9.5, Macbook Pro (2018) Mojave, Slate VMS mic, Everything Bundle, Dual Raven MTI 2, Apollo Twin Quad, UAD Arrow, UAD Satellite Octo Tbolt and all the UAD plugs, NI Komplete 11 Ultimate & Arturia V Collection 6, Maschine Studio MK3 Hardware, NI Komplete Kontrol 61s MK 2, Spectrasonics Ominisphere, Superior Drummer, BFD3, Ozone 7, Altiverb, Sound Toys, Waves, Final Cut X. PT 11.
dix

Re: Basic Komplete Kontrol S61 with DP question

Post by dix »

Thanks for the reco waxman! When you say the integration is great, are you referring to the integration with NKS supported instruments or with DP? As far as I know there's not a template for DP (naturally :( ) and wouldn't want to add an unnecessary layer of complexity to my setup. Is getting it to play well with DP simple?

...maybe I'd understand why the onboard screen and patch access/audition is useful once I have it, but I'm mainly interested in the Light Guide integration - for showing key switches and the location of active keys in patches.
14-inch MBP M1 Max (2021), 13.6.x, 64GB RAM, UAD Quad Tb Satellite, 4 displays ::: 2009 4,1 > 5,1 MacPro 12-core 3.33 ghz , 10.14.x, 96GB RAM, GeForce GTX 770 , NewerTech eSATA/USB3 PCIe Host Adapter, UAD-2 Quad, ::: 15-inch MBP (2015) 10.14.x, 16GB RAM ::: Lynx Aurora (n) USB ::: DP (latest version), Vienna Ensemble Pro danwool.com