Where can I find more MIDI Insert "plug-ins" like Humanize?

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
dewdman42
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Where can I find more MIDI Insert "plug-ins" like Humani

Post by dewdman42 »

you can't.

see my instructions above.
5,1 MacPro 3.46ghz x 12 cores,96gb, Monterey (OpenCore), Lynx AES16e-50+X32
mike_o

Post by mike_o »

Thank you all for this thread, I've built several custom sequencers in reaktor that do all kind of cool tricks and I didn't realize that I could use them in DP now, I just upgraded to 9.5 last month and this feature kinda flew under the radar on me.

If anyone here uses reaktor and is interested in a drum sequencer that can do all kinds of cool random drum fill variations then try these.

8 part sequencer with samplers and synth drum engines.

https://www.native-instruments.com/en/r ... show/7507/

16 part sequencer only...

https://www.native-instruments.com/en/r ... show/7505/

I've always had to jump into live and capture the vst MIDI output and then import it back into DP.

So glad I can just use these directly in DP now.

as well as the hundreds of other sequencers that reaktor offers.

Thank you.

Michael
Mac Pro 2X Dual Core 2.66Ghz-10.4.9-7 GigRam-828MKII-MTPAV-Ultralight MK3-Digi Performer6.01-PeakPro5.1-Reason4-AbeltonLive6-Virus Rack(Red)-ReMOTE 25 & 37 SL-Nocturn-Stanton Dacratch-PluggoPack-DimensionLE W/EmuProteusPack-Sylenth1-Discovery MAC-MX4-Rapture-Alpha-Octopuss-Automat-Automat1-TALbassline-TALUno60
dewdman42

Post by dewdman42 »

I also recently discovered this:

https://www.osar.fr/protoplug/

This opens up a whole new world in terms of being able to process MIDI anyway you want. Can't do it on a MIDI insert in DP, but can certainly use the Instrument version and pipe the MIDI through it. Not a bad way to handle articulation management for example. Could use Program change messages indicated which articulation, then use the scripter to channelizer or send any combination of switches based on the PC message coming through.
Black-Man

Re: Where can I find more MIDI Insert "plug-ins" like Humanize?

Post by Black-Man »

Hate to regurgitate an old thread... but I bought a couple ChaseBliss pedals - which are absolute PITA to control via MIDI. CB has created a Max for Live MIDI plugin for Ableton. However, it appears pretty much all DAW's (like DP) have their own proprietary API for MIDI plugins. Only Ableton uses Max for Live (which apparently is more of a framework and makes development easier).
SoundTower has MIDI plugin Ed/Lib in VST and AU format. I have not used them, only have the standalone versions, so apparently you CAN write MIDI plugins (actually audio plugins which do MIDI-only) in VST/AU format. This might be the route to take. I haven't looked at the AU API since I am not an audio dev, but if Soundtower did it, it must be possible.
Mac Studio Max, 828es, DP 11
philbrown

Post by philbrown »

Black-Man wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 5:29 am Hate to regurgitate an old thread... but I bought a couple ChaseBliss pedals - which are absolute PITA to control via MIDI. CB has created a Max for Live MIDI plugin for Ableton. However, it appears pretty much all DAW's (like DP) have their own proprietary API for MIDI plugins. Only Ableton uses Max for Live (which apparently is more of a framework and makes development easier).
SoundTower has MIDI plugin Ed/Lib in VST and AU format. I have not used them, only have the standalone versions, so apparently you CAN write MIDI plugins (actually audio plugins which do MIDI-only) in VST/AU format. This might be the route to take. I haven't looked at the AU API since I am not an audio dev, but if Soundtower did it, it must be possible.
I can't tell what exactly you're after from your post, but I 'm not aware of any new developments in this area. This thread pretty much sums it up, to my knowledge. I've written to MOTU about expanding and updating their MIDI plugs but MOTU has never acted on any of my suggestions over the decades I've used DP, so my expectations are zero in this area. IIRC the AU spec allows for MIDI but VST doesn't. It's been too long and I might have that backwards... maybe someone else knows more and will chime in.
2020 iMac 27" 3.6GHz 10 core i9 • Mac OS 12.2.1 • DP 11.04 • UAD-8 Octo card • Midas M32R

Plugs: UAD•Slate•Scuffham•Flux IRCAM•NI Komplete•Klanghelm•Waves•Spectrasonics•Arturia•Soundtoys•Nomad Factory•PSP•Stillwell•Cytomic•Korg•Five12•GForce
Black-Man

Post by Black-Man »

I guess what I'm saying is, I think the dev community has moved on and is using AU for MIDI applications. If you look at Apple's AU API documentation, you can create a MIDI In/Out application (only) project.
https://developer.apple.com/documentati ... extension/
Mac Studio Max, 828es, DP 11
dewdman42

Post by dewdman42 »

the best and easiest thing MOTU could do in the near term is to provide AUmfx slots above the instrument plugin slot on instrument tracks. this would essentially be what LogicPro provides. This would be an entirely easy thing for them to add, and would open up a large amount of MIDI plugin processing in DP from third party MIDI plugins.

The internal MIDI plugins provided by MOTU are very old, using a very old SDk, I don't know of a single third party MIDI plugin that has ever been created in that format. there is a specific reason why those internal MIDI plugins are interesting, in that they are in the MIDI track rather then the instrument track. They can be applied pre-recording to the MIDI track for one thing. Also when you have many MIDI tracks feeding a single instrument track and you need separate MIDI processing for each source MIDI track..that is a preferable place to do it, but its harder to do, those plugins are simple for a reason they are more time sensitive then VST/AU plugins are. so they are extremely simple for a very good reason and have particular uses when you need to target one specific MIDI track.

But most of the typical kinds of things that people want to do with MIDI plugins, can be done on the instrument track, just as it is done today on LogicPro, using AUmfx plugins. Actually it could be possible to host MIDI-only VSt plugins in that way as well, but the easy add for MOTU would be to just support AUmfx plugins on instrument tracks, above/before the instrument plugin slot. Make sure to send them a feature request for this!!!! I did recently and got positive feedback to my question so who knows, but obviously if they get more requests, they are more likely to do it. I can say with confidence that this would be an extremely easy thing to add, from a technical standpoint, aside from figuring out how to fit more plugin slots on the instrument channel strip visually...that would be the most difficult part of the feature add.