Reassign MIDI notes to controller?

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
musicbydesign1001
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Reassign MIDI notes to controller?

Post by musicbydesign1001 »

Hi all,
I am using a Kontakt Instrument that can utilize either key switches or a CC to change articulations. I have loved using CC in the past if the instrument supports it because I have a Kurzweil K2600 with the slider bar that allows me to hit the CC on the fly. As you all well know, CC control is vastly preferred because DP can chase it, whereas notes controls aren't chased (unless you drag the note durations to cover the entire articulation phrase).
This works well for articulations that have 12 choices or less. Any more, and you have a hard time pinpointing the area on the slider bar to hit.
My question is this - does anyone know if there is a convenient (ie "global") way to record the track using key switches, then reassign those values (note number, not velocity) to a specified CC?
Thanks...
OSX 10.11.6, DP 9.5.1
FMiguelez

Re: Reassign MIDI notes to controller?

Post by FMiguelez »

musicbydesign1001 wrote:Hi all,
I am using a Kontakt Instrument that can utilize either key switches or a CC to change articulations. I have loved using CC in the past if the instrument supports it because I have a Kurzweil K2600 with the slider bar that allows me to hit the CC on the fly. As you all well know, CC control is vastly preferred because DP can chase it, whereas notes controls aren't chased (unless you drag the note durations to cover the entire articulation phrase).
This works well for articulations that have 12 choices or less. Any more, and you have a hard time pinpointing the area on the slider bar to hit.
My question is this - does anyone know if there is a convenient (ie "global") way to record the track using key switches, then reassign those values (note number, not velocity) to a specified CC?
Thanks...
OSX 10.11.6, DP 9.5.1
I've never done it, but it sounds like something that should be easy to do. I'd look into Consoles for this. Or probably the command that lets you turn any CC into any other CC (forgot the name of the command, but it's there). Also, if the Search command provides a replace facility, you might be in luck!

I started with Keyswitches, then I tried CCs, and finally settled back on keyswitches, mostly because of what you mentioned and the ease of playing/programming them. Keyswitches, especially keyswitch velocities, are too convenient for my workflow compared to CCs, even if they don't get chased.
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
philbrown

Re: Reassign MIDI notes to controller?

Post by philbrown »

Consoles will theoretically do this. You can set up a fader or knob to receive notes either from a track or a MIDI controller and translate to whatever you want, including CC's. My concern would be the specific mapping from one to the other. You may also need to set a Transpose plug with a custom setup to map as needed (not sure about that part). Here is what MOTU says about using Notes as a source in a custom console:
Controlling a slider or knob with notes
MIDI notes are numbered from 0 to 127. C3 is note number 60, for example. Note numbers correspond exactly to controller numbers, so pressing a note on your keyboard will set the slider to its corresponding value. This is useful for creating sudden, precise changes in controller value rather than smooth changes. Keep in mind while you do this that most keyboards do not have 127 keys and therefore will not allow you to span the entire zero to 127 range of the slider.
It's been a few years since I worked extensively with custom consoles. It was a bit buggy back then but I'm not sure about now. If you run into any issues I may be able to help if it's not an actual bug.
2020 iMac 27" 3.6GHz 10 core i9 • Mac OS 12.2.1 • DP 11.04 • UAD-8 Octo card • Midas M32R

Plugs: UAD•Slate•Scuffham•Flux IRCAM•NI Komplete•Klanghelm•Waves•Spectrasonics•Arturia•Soundtoys•Nomad Factory•PSP•Stillwell•Cytomic•Korg•Five12•GForce