PreSonus FaderPort

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
sdemott
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

PreSonus FaderPort

Post by sdemott »

So the FaderPort 16 is available, and it looks tempting, but DP is not specifically mentioned as a compatible DAW. Does any have any experience with the FaderPort series on DP? Good? Bad? Indifferent? Is there something better?
-Steve
Not all who wander are lost.
supersonic

Re: PreSonus FaderPort

Post by supersonic »

If you are looking into something more streamlined, there is this.

http://iconproaudio.com

I will be testing it soon.
Music is movement in silence
My day jon - http://www.audioplanet.pl
My other passion - http://www.aps-company.pl
dbender

Post by dbender »

Got a FaderPort 8 and returned it. Got the Behringer Xtouch instead. The FaderPort 8 buttons implementation is extremely limited, fewer buttons than the MCU (which maps to DP), doesn't really map well to DP, plus though I thought in theory I would not, I did miss having a master fader. And did not like the limited buttons/channel.

Xtouch has same buttons as MCU (except that two rows of buttons are switched/swapped in position), so using the DP MCU Overlay was able to figure out what all the Xtouch buttons do in DP and made my own overlay for XTouch.

Xtouch is going for $450 these days, and the 8 channel extender is only $350. $800 for both vs. around $1k for the FaderPort 16.
iMac 3.0 GHz, 8 GHz ram, OS 10.6.4, MOTU 828 Mk II, MOTU MIDI Express-XT (x2), KRK Rokit 6's, Novation Remote Zero SL, Radikal SAC-2k, Triton rack maxed out, Matrix 1000, Handsonic HPD-15 drum pads, tons 'o VI's.....
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

How are you liking the X-Touch. This is on my short list, but I've seen very little about how well it works with DP.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
dbender

Post by dbender »

Thanks, James. So Far, the only negative is the Clip button on the Xtouch does not clear the clip light on the Xtouch itself, though it does clear the clip indicators in DP.

I've read that's a problem w/ DP and MCU and Mackie Protocol.

Wonder if folks with the MCU have the same problem?
iMac 3.0 GHz, 8 GHz ram, OS 10.6.4, MOTU 828 Mk II, MOTU MIDI Express-XT (x2), KRK Rokit 6's, Novation Remote Zero SL, Radikal SAC-2k, Triton rack maxed out, Matrix 1000, Handsonic HPD-15 drum pads, tons 'o VI's.....
sdemott

Post by sdemott »

dbender wrote:Got a FaderPort 8 and returned it. Got the Behringer Xtouch instead. The FaderPort 8 buttons implementation is extremely limited, fewer buttons than the MCU (which maps to DP), doesn't really map well to DP, plus though I thought in theory I would not, I did miss having a master fader. And did not like the limited buttons/channel.

Xtouch has same buttons as MCU (except that two rows of buttons are switched/swapped in position), so using the DP MCU Overlay was able to figure out what all the Xtouch buttons do in DP and made my own overlay for XTouch.

Xtouch is going for $450 these days, and the 8 channel extender is only $350. $800 for both vs. around $1k for the FaderPort 16.
That's good to know.

How do you find the x-touch from a fit & finish perspective? I get a little nervous when I see Behringer stamped on a piece of gear I plan on relying on on a daily basis. Are my concerns unfounded/outdated?
-Steve
dbender

Post by dbender »

I know what you mean.

So far so good, and I did note that it has a very solid feel to it.
jerboythegreat

Post by jerboythegreat »

[by supersonic » Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:18 am

If you are looking into something more streamlined, there is this.

http://iconproaudio.com

I have tested the Beta Mac iMap software for the Icon M+ and it works flawlessly with DP 9.51.
Easy to program and well built. for 250 dollars you can't beat it
sdemott

Post by sdemott »

Just wanted to follow up on this.

I did get myself the xTouch & concur...it's solidly built. I'm trying to figure out all the buttons at this point. It would be nice if they actually included documentation! So, that's my only gripe. No documentation. But I can live with that. I'll get it figured out.
-Steve
kemccarthy1

Post by kemccarthy1 »

Just looking into control surfaces now and wondering if anyone has any updates on the info here.

Can anyone chime in with the products mentioned here -
Behringer X-Touch
Icon Pro Audio QCON PRO G2
Presonus Faderport 16

Or any other product that works reliably well with DP?
iMac (Retina 5K, 2017) 4.2 GHz Intel Core i7 running 10.13.6 / 64GB RAM 2400 MHz DDR4/ DP 9.52 / Cubase 10.0.15 / UAD Apollo x8p / MOTU 828es / MOTU 8pre / Mackie 1604VLZ4 / Yamaha S80
jessrho
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by jessrho »

I just got a new Presonus Faderport. I got it hooked up, and the transport buttons work, but the fader only works on the top track in my sequence. I don't know how to select a different track.

The whole reason i got it was to ride the volume of tracks while mixing.

Anyone else having this problem, or know a solution?

Sure would be nice if Motu made it completely compatible with DP, this thing is beautiful.
tremo

Post by tremo »

jessrho wrote:I just got a new Presonus Faderport. I got it hooked up, and the transport buttons work, but the fader only works on the top track in my sequence. I don't know how to select a different track.

The whole reason i got it was to ride the volume of tracks while mixing.

Anyone else having this problem, or know a solution?

Sure would be nice if Motu made it completely compatible with DP, this thing is beautiful.
You have to put the Faderport into MCU mode: hold down the "Next" button while powering it up, then after buttons start flashing, press "Arm" on the top row.

Even then, implementation is pretty limited. You can use Prev/Next to select tracks or mix channels (or if you light up the Channel button, you can use the knob). Recording volume automation using the fader seems to work. Pan works with the knob, the solo and mute buttons work.... Record button seems to work, but not the track Arm button ??? It's buggy, too -- it'll stop working at random times, requiring a power down/up.

Faderport is fantastic in Studio One, as you'd expect, but the other modes are kind of an afterthought. Way better than the version 1 Faderport, but still....
Mac Studio Max | 32GB | 14.3.1 | 828es | M4 | DP 10.13 | Studio One 6.5 | Logic 10.8
jessrho
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by jessrho »

tremo you rule man! thank you!
that totally makes it functional for me. i had it in HUI mode and couldn't change the channels.

so for anyone else in the future puzzled about this, in dp 9.52, under setup > control surface setup, choose "mackie control" (after you've set your faderport up in "open audio MIDI setup" where you create new external device and link the faderport to it). under input port select "new external device" and the output port should be "new external device" as well.

thanks again tremo! :dance:
tremo

Post by tremo »

jessrho wrote: thanks again tremo! :dance:
Glad to help, jessrho!
Mac Studio Max | 32GB | 14.3.1 | 828es | M4 | DP 10.13 | Studio One 6.5 | Logic 10.8
darrell

Post by darrell »

This is hardly an important question...about looks! Anyone have ideas/opinions on XTouch extender having the flashy colored lights instead of the quieter look of the XTouch proper?

Thanks!
Darrell A.