9.5 behavior change?

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
mike_o
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

9.5 behavior change?

Post by mike_o »

I produce on my laptop, In previous versions of DP I could hover the mouse over a fader in the mixing board and use a 2 finger swipe to adjust the fader up or down, now in 9.5 this no longer works.

I looked in preferences and options but didn't see anything relating to that, does anyone know if there is a way to get this behavior back, its deeply ingrained into my music making reflexes and not being able to do that is driving me nuts.

Thanks.
Mac Pro 2X Dual Core 2.66Ghz-10.4.9-7 GigRam-828MKII-MTPAV-Ultralight MK3-Digi Performer6.01-PeakPro5.1-Reason4-AbeltonLive6-Virus Rack(Red)-ReMOTE 25 & 37 SL-Nocturn-Stanton Dacratch-PluggoPack-DimensionLE W/EmuProteusPack-Sylenth1-Discovery MAC-MX4-Rapture-Alpha-Octopuss-Automat-Automat1-TALbassline-TALUno60
FMiguelez

Re: 9.5 behavior change?

Post by FMiguelez »

I know there's a preference to allow or forbid this, but I don't know where it is. I don't think it's in the preferences, but maybe in the mixer mini-menu.
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
cuttime

Post by cuttime »

FMiguelez wrote:the mixer mini-menu.
This.
828x MacOS 13.6.5 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.31
mike_o

Post by mike_o »

Yup, just found it, strangely I can't find the option to bypass pre rendering and run everything(plugins) in real time, did they move it or is it just not an option anymore?

I looked in plugin preferences and it's gone.
Mac Pro 2X Dual Core 2.66Ghz-10.4.9-7 GigRam-828MKII-MTPAV-Ultralight MK3-Digi Performer6.01-PeakPro5.1-Reason4-AbeltonLive6-Virus Rack(Red)-ReMOTE 25 & 37 SL-Nocturn-Stanton Dacratch-PluggoPack-DimensionLE W/EmuProteusPack-Sylenth1-Discovery MAC-MX4-Rapture-Alpha-Octopuss-Automat-Automat1-TALbassline-TALUno60
cuttime

Post by cuttime »

mike_o wrote:Yup, just found it, strangely I can't find the option to bypass pre rendering and run everything(plugins) in real time, did they move it or is it just not an option anymore?

I looked in plugin preferences and it's gone.
It's not an option any more. Whether this is a feature or not depends on your point of view. Much has been written about this.
828x MacOS 13.6.5 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.31
mike_o

Post by mike_o »

they need to bring this back, I almost always run everything in real time, I just don't really need pre rendering most of the time.
buzzsmith

Post by buzzsmith »

mike_o wrote:they need to bring this back, I almost always run everything in real time, I just don't really need pre rendering most of the time.
Check the tiny little drop down on the far top right of the VIs or plugins. There is an option there to run in real time or PG.

The only thing I’m not clear on is that if you close that VI or plugin window. It may revert.

Haven’t had time to check this.

And the new effects window (at gig, not positive what this new window is actually named) will show how much power each is drawing and whether or not it’s running in RT or PG.

Buzzy
Early 2009 Mac Pro 4,1>5,1 3.33 GHz Hex Core Intel Xeon OS X 10.8.5 SSD (32 gigs RAM)
DP 9.51 PCI-424e / original 2408, 2408mkII, 24I/O, MTP-AV

Yamaha C7 Conservatory Grand
Hammond B-3 / Leslie 145
Focal Twin6 Be(s)

supersonic

Post by supersonic »

I believe that if you put the Vi in the Virtual Rack then it will be always in Real Time, right?
Music is movement in silence
My day jon - http://www.audioplanet.pl
My other passion - http://www.aps-company.pl
leigh

Post by leigh »

Falcon-1 is in a V-Rack; Falcon-2 is in an instrument track without "run in real time" checked:

**Leigh
I don't care what you play. I care how you play.— Karl Berger

iMac Pro 3 GHz 10-Core Intel Xeon W, 128GB RAM, Mac OS X 14.2, DP 11.3
VSL, VE Pro 7, MIR Pro 3D, UVI Falcon, EZ Keys, EZ Drummer, Ozone 9 Advanced, RX 8 Advanced, Dorico 5, Metric Halo ULN-8-3D mkiv, ULN-2-3D & 2882-3D interfaces, Novation Impulse-49, various mics
Michael Canavan

Post by Michael Canavan »

leigh wrote:Falcon-1 is in a V-Rack; Falcon-2 is in an instrument track without "run in real time" checked:

**Leigh
I'd be willing to bet the one in the V-Rack has a MIDI track assigned to it with record enabled.

Throwing one instance of Diva onto a V-Rack and one on a track, 100% the deciding factor on whether or not it runs in PG (Pre rendered) or RT (Real Time) is whether I have the record enabled on the MIDI track pointing to that instance. Try this yourself, it's consistent here.
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

So tracks in Virtual Rack are also PR?
Music is movement in silence
My day jon - http://www.audioplanet.pl
My other passion - http://www.aps-company.pl
Michael Canavan

Post by Michael Canavan »

supersonic wrote:So tracks in Virtual Rack are also PR?
Yes, that was confirmed by Magic Dave in a thread here.
Like I explained though, any thread that's armed for recording is Real Time.

All of you need to keep the Effects Performance window open and tinker around, especially those of you decrying NextGen. I suspect a lot of issues people are having with PG (or pre rendering, NextGen whatever), aren't coming from PG tracks.
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
leigh

Post by leigh »

Michael Canavan wrote: I'd be willing to bet the one in the V-Rack has a MIDI track assigned to it with record enabled.

Throwing one instance of Diva onto a V-Rack and one on a track, 100% the deciding factor on whether or not it runs in PG (Pre rendered) or RT (Real Time) is whether I have the record enabled on the MIDI track pointing to that instance. Try this yourself, it's consistent here.
Right you are!

**Leigh
I don't care what you play. I care how you play.— Karl Berger

iMac Pro 3 GHz 10-Core Intel Xeon W, 128GB RAM, Mac OS X 14.2, DP 11.3
VSL, VE Pro 7, MIR Pro 3D, UVI Falcon, EZ Keys, EZ Drummer, Ozone 9 Advanced, RX 8 Advanced, Dorico 5, Metric Halo ULN-8-3D mkiv, ULN-2-3D & 2882-3D interfaces, Novation Impulse-49, various mics