Do you recommend purchasing Hollywood Orchestra?

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
AllanKane
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Do you recommend purchasing Hollywood Orchestra?

Post by AllanKane »

Hello Motunation,
Since the upgrades of Play and ease of use of the EastWest Symphonic Orchestra, I am thinking about purchasing Hollywood Orchestra. I keep hearing about problems with Hollywood Orchestra's CPU usage . Does anyone out there experience CPU problems with Hollywood Orchestra and do you recommend buying it? Thank you.
Gravity Jim

Re: Do you recommend purchasing Hollywood Orchestra?

Post by Gravity Jim »

When I'm asked about string libraries, I recommend Audiobro's LA Scoring Strings and Cinesamples' libraries. When I was investing in high-end string samples, Play was an underdeveloped playback system, and I read nothing by unhappiness with it online.

LASS and Cinestrings run under Kontakt. So, there's that. Also, they sound incredible.
Jim Bordner

MacPro 5,1 (3.33Ghz 12-core), 32g RAM, OS X 10.14.6 • MOTU DP 10.11 • Logic Pro X 10.2.5 • Waves Platinum, UAD-2, Slate Digital, Komplete, Omnisphere 2, LASS, CineSamples, Chipsounds, V Collection 5[color]
buzzsmith

Post by buzzsmith »

What genre of music, Allan?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Early 2009 Mac Pro 4,1>5,1 3.33 GHz Hex Core Intel Xeon OS X 10.8.5 SSD (32 gigs RAM)
DP 9.51 PCI-424e / original 2408, 2408mkII, 24I/O, MTP-AV

Yamaha C7 Conservatory Grand
Hammond B-3 / Leslie 145
Focal Twin6 Be(s)

AllanKane

Post by AllanKane »

Gravity Jim wrote:When I'm asked about string libraries, I recommend Audiobro's LA Scoring Strings and Cinesamples' libraries. When I was investing in high-end string samples, Play was an underdeveloped playback system, and I read nothing by unhappiness with it online.

LASS and Cinestrings run under Kontakt. So, there's that. Also, they sound incredible.
Thanks for your reply. I have Cinestrings and don't like the sound or how it works.
AllanKane

Post by AllanKane »

buzzsmith wrote:What genre of music, Allan?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Film Music....
kgdrum

Post by kgdrum »

AllanKane wrote:Hello Motunation,
Since the upgrades of Play and ease of use of the EastWest Symphonic Orchestra, I am thinking about purchasing Hollywood Orchestra. I keep hearing about problems with Hollywood Orchestra's CPU usage . Does anyone out there experience CPU problems with Hollywood Orchestra and do you recommend buying it? Thank you.

fwiw I stopped using EastWest when they went to Play but imo some Important details haven't been mentioned,are you using OSX or Windows?
How much Ram do you have?
Will you be using SSD's?(from what I've read SSD's are pretty much required with Play)
Are you considering VE Pro so you can setup a slave computer?
Many EastWest users repeatedly state Play libraries like Hollywood Orch work much better on the Windows OS than OSX,with lots of Ram, SSD's and multiple computers.
2012 Mac Pro 3.46GHz 12 core 96 gig,Mojave, DP11.01,Logic 10.51, RME UCX,Great River ME-1NV,a few microphones,UAD2, Komplete 12U,U-he,Omni & way too many VI's,Synths & FX galore!, Mimic Pro w/ SD3,Focal Twin 6 monitors, Shunyata...........
Gravity Jim

Post by Gravity Jim »

AllanKane wrote:
Gravity Jim wrote:When I'm asked about string libraries, I recommend Audiobro's LA Scoring Strings and Cinesamples' libraries. When I was investing in high-end string samples, Play was an underdeveloped playback system, and I read nothing by unhappiness with it online.

Thanks for your reply. I have Cinestrings and don't like the sound or how it works.
Different strokes, I guess. I like Cinestrings, but not as my only library... it's great for adding different textures alongside LASS.

When asking for recommendations in the future, you might tell folks what you've already tried, whether it's instruments or trouble shooting: there's nothing more irritating than a thread consisting of suggestions answered by, "Yeah, I did that and it didn't work."
Jim Bordner

MacPro 5,1 (3.33Ghz 12-core), 32g RAM, OS X 10.14.6 • MOTU DP 10.11 • Logic Pro X 10.2.5 • Waves Platinum, UAD-2, Slate Digital, Komplete, Omnisphere 2, LASS, CineSamples, Chipsounds, V Collection 5[color]
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

The Spitfire stuff is also friendly towards scoring type work, for a different sound from Hollywood, but they change the interface on each update and some may be annoyed at the learning curve such updates entail (though it gets easier each time, if starting from scratch with no preconceptions). Way more expensive than East/West Hollywood though, which is yet again on 50% or more off (might have ended now that NAMM is done).

I find the earlier EWQL stuff to be too rigid and inflexible towards natural articulations, dynamics, and phrasing, so have weaned myself off of the little use it still got. Some of the raw sounds are quite rich and lush, so hopefully the Hollywood series goes way beyond that and has way more configurability.

Some people buy a few of the Hollywood libraries piecemeal, as standouts from the crowd. I hear this in particular with regards to the Harp (which I am considering, even though VSL harp is magnificent and I have others too), and Orchestral Percussion (almost every such library has some key elements that are missing from most or all of the competition).

One thing to consider when it comes to strings, is whether there are distinct Violins I and Violins II available. I don't know whether film composers score that way or not, as a rule (the more traditional ones certainly do), but what many people forget is that there can be a doubling problem in terms of ensemble size, if splitting the part to separate tracks but using a full section, and a timbral problem if using a smaller chamber ensemble for the combined sections to match the full orchestra size.
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.1, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH
labman
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by labman »

Quick answer. no LOL

but do Love LASS, SPitfire, & Cinesamples,
the PLAY engine we find quite pitiful.
AMPGUI themes - Andy rocks!, 3 macs, MacPro 768GB ram, 16core OS11.7.10, DP11.31, all Waves, all SLATE, PSP, IK multimedia & Audioease plugs, all PAlliance, Softube, tons of NI VI's all air Spitfire, all Audiobro, all Berlin, EW PLAY, LLizard, MachFive3, Kontakt5, Omnisphere, RMX, LASS, all Soundtoys, Lexicon AU's, melodyne and others I know am forgetting, cause I'm old...Also mucho outboard rigs, MTPs, DTP, antelope WC, and 4 control surfaces with Raven.
jloeb

Post by jloeb »

Also can't recommend. EastWest are miracle-makers: Never have I heard such consistent brilliance in taking huge libraries, any single note from which is jaw-droppingly gorgeous on playback, and making them speak so poorly as instruments. It's a big shiny business - value is always kinda-sorta delivered (but with massive room for improvement!!!!) Avoid.
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

I have also been plagued by Play's poor performance for years. However, the latest free update (there is also a new paid version for old users) is much more stable. I am able run tons more instruments and they load much more quickly. I use them alongside LASS, Kontakt Libraries and Spitfire.
Music is movement in silence
My day jon - http://www.audioplanet.pl
My other passion - http://www.aps-company.pl