Any News From MOTU At NAMM?

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
Babz
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Any News From MOTU At NAMM?

Post by Babz »

Those who attended... Anything new? Any word on future updates?
Gabe S.
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Any News From MOTU At NAMM?

Post by Gabe S. »

Nothing new. They were demoing workflows in current software.

Matt LaPoint said (of course) they're working on new stuff but didn't have anything to show at the moment.

He did mention that DP and High Sierra weren't a good combo yet. Since I have no plans to go to High Sierra any time soon, I didn't delve into the topic.

(After many years of having their booth in the same spot, the booth was in a completely different building. Is that considered news? :) )
Computer: 2019 Mac Pro 28-core 2.5gHz, OS 10.15.2, 96GB ram, all SSD/NVME drives, MH Labs ULN-8, MOTU MidiTimepiece AV
DP Setup: DP10.11, all Spectrasonics VIs, all Waves plugins, Sonnox AU, Altiverb, NI Komplete 12/K5+6, Plogue Bidule 64 as VI host
midilance

Post by midilance »

New location for the booth is definitely news.
Mac Studio m2 Max // OS 14.3.1 // DP 11.3.1 // MotU Ultralite mk4 // Komplete Ultimate 14 // Arturia V Collection 9 // Korg Collection // Stylus RMX 1.8 // Omnisphere 2.6.2c // Scarbee Keys and Basses // T-Racks 5 // Amplitube 5 // BFD3 // Blue3 // PolyM //
midilance

Post by midilance »

Where is the booth now?
Mac Studio m2 Max // OS 14.3.1 // DP 11.3.1 // MotU Ultralite mk4 // Komplete Ultimate 14 // Arturia V Collection 9 // Korg Collection // Stylus RMX 1.8 // Omnisphere 2.6.2c // Scarbee Keys and Basses // T-Racks 5 // Amplitube 5 // BFD3 // Blue3 // PolyM //
Gabe S.

Post by Gabe S. »

North Building on the lower level.

The whole NAMM show booth numbering system changed as well this year. MOTU used to be in the 6000’s. Now they’re in the 15000’s.
Computer: 2019 Mac Pro 28-core 2.5gHz, OS 10.15.2, 96GB ram, all SSD/NVME drives, MH Labs ULN-8, MOTU MidiTimepiece AV
DP Setup: DP10.11, all Spectrasonics VIs, all Waves plugins, Sonnox AU, Altiverb, NI Komplete 12/K5+6, Plogue Bidule 64 as VI host
MW1

Post by MW1 »

So is the only news from MOTU at NAMM is that their booth is in a different location?

No videos? No press release?
frankf

Post by frankf »

They are showing 9.5.1 and it's use in various workflows. Dave Roberts showed new Interfaces the iPad control surface for AVB interfaces ,
Matt Lapoint and David Das talked about their workflows in DP9.5, and I saw Roger Neil who scored Mozart in the Jungle talk about the music for a few cues. He passed a score around for one of them. Nice!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Frank Ferrucci
http://www.ferruccimusic.com
Mac Pro 6,1 64gb RAM DP9.52 OSX 10.12.6 MIO 2882d & ULN2d Firewire Audio Interfaces, MOTU MTP-AV USB
SamGlaser

Post by SamGlaser »

Rather than product demos they had composers showing workflow using DP. Informative...but not the standing ovation inspiring moments like when new features are demonstrated. Always good to see the MOTU men.
sam glaser/www.samglaser.com
MacPro 2008, Sierra, 28GB Ram, DP9.5, Ethno, 24 i/0, 2408 mk iii
jerboythegreat

Post by jerboythegreat »

I learned that Mach5 May be included with the next upgrade rather than abandoned! :shock:
dix

Post by dix »

I learned that now is not a good time to upgrade from 10.11.6 to High Sierra. The consensus from everyone at MOTU that I spoke to about was to wait. DP itself is fully compatible with HS, but how it works with various 3rd party plugins is still not there - VEP6 for instance. They're working with Vienna, but for now VEP is not compatible with DP on High Sierra.

Also, there was a newly designed iPad console they were previewing that looked pretty cool.
14-inch MBP M1 Max (2021), 13.6.x, 64GB RAM, UAD Quad Tb Satellite, 4 displays ::: 2009 4,1 > 5,1 MacPro 12-core 3.33 ghz , 10.14.x, 96GB RAM, GeForce GTX 770 , NewerTech eSATA/USB3 PCIe Host Adapter, UAD-2 Quad, ::: 15-inch MBP (2015) 10.14.x, 16GB RAM ::: Lynx Aurora (n) USB ::: DP (latest version), Vienna Ensemble Pro danwool.com
jloeb

Post by jloeb »

Crap. I just a few days ago updated to High Sierra. Thought I'd waited long enough; NI said all clear, others as well. I don't use Vienna Ensemble generally. Were any other 3rd party plugs called out as stability problems?

EDIT: found the other threads on this. VEpro and UA. Anything else a named offender at the session itself?
dix

Post by dix »

VEP and UA were the only ones they mentioned specifically, but of course there are many many plugins out there. Those two are among the most popular. Apart from that there was just general complaining about Apple’s relentless hapless OS changes that are done with little regard to software developers.
14-inch MBP M1 Max (2021), 13.6.x, 64GB RAM, UAD Quad Tb Satellite, 4 displays ::: 2009 4,1 > 5,1 MacPro 12-core 3.33 ghz , 10.14.x, 96GB RAM, GeForce GTX 770 , NewerTech eSATA/USB3 PCIe Host Adapter, UAD-2 Quad, ::: 15-inch MBP (2015) 10.14.x, 16GB RAM ::: Lynx Aurora (n) USB ::: DP (latest version), Vienna Ensemble Pro danwool.com
Michael Canavan

Post by Michael Canavan »

dix wrote:VEP and UA were the only ones they mentioned specifically, but of course there are many many plugins out there. Those two are among the most popular. Apart from that there was just general complaining about Apple’s relentless hapless OS changes that are done with little regard to software developers.
VEP and UA are pulling from outside of the DAW for CPU saving. In different ways, but ultimately they're likely experiencing the same glitch's in terms of High Sierra. I could see how relentless security fixes to the OS could be problematic for solutions using hardware and software in the case of UA and virtual or physical networking in the case of VEP.
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
Babz
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by Babz »

jerboythegreat wrote:I learned that Mach5 May be included with the next upgrade rather than abandoned! :shock:
That is HUGE scoopage. Like they did with MX4. That would be AWESOME if true
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

Indeed, Babzster!

I've been holding out for something like this since the "demise" of M5. I still haven't bought Kontakt or Falcon, being the MOTU-loyal dude I am.

The consensus here was that it was dead, but as I'd not seen a definitive statement from MOTU to that effect, I refused to "accept" it. Besides, I've got my '90s AKAI and EMU libraries installed and invested a whopping $600+ AU in it.

Yes, it would be awesome, and nothing short of it! Fingers and toes crossed...

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here