How to change takes on multiple tracks simultaneously

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
dwilliams
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

How to change takes on multiple tracks simultaneously

Post by dwilliams »

How can you change the current take on multiple tracks at the same time. For example, you can select a bunch of tracks, the hold "T" while changing color on one and they all change to the new color at once. So much faster than changing them one at a time. I can't find a way to do this with takes. I have a metal track with quad tracked guitars from the amp + all the DI's so I need to change 8 track takes do A/B (well, technically don't need to do the guitars but I could easily see this be an issue with a drum kit which could have like 14 mins on it.
Krakadon
aka Dave Williams
Rock, metal, Camas, WA

* 15" Mid-2019 MBP 2.4 GHz 8-core i9, 32GB RAM, Ventura 13.6.5. TB: UA Apollo QuadFW w/TB card, Satellite OctoTB2 & OctoTB3, PreSonus Quantum 4848 TB2; USB 2.0: Ext USB3 drives, Fractal Audio Axe-Fx III , Revv Generator 120 MK3; USB 3.0: Stream Deck XL, M Audio Oxygen 49, Akai MPD218, Console One Mk3, SSL UC1, X-Touch U; HDMI: 34" 16:9 & 32" 2K Monitors
* DP 11.31
mhschmieder
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: How to change takes on multiple tracks simultaneously

Post by mhschmieder »

Group them. You can even do so temporarily, or set a permanent Group, which for rock/pop projects I do as part of the template as it speeds things up when the pedal hits the metal.

You can pull up a view of the current Groups and their status (shown using check boxes), at any side of the main window in DP, just as with other features such as Audio Monitoring, MIDI Events, etc.

I use this feature a lot during Takes of live players (not so much for MIDI projects), during comping, and during mixing as well. It's so quick to turn off the Take and turn it back on again.

Another advantage to this approach (as I'm sure you'll also get recommendations for other ways of solving this same problem), is that you can re-route the outputs of all tracks within the Group by just changing one of them.

This also comes in handy when switching from Ghost Track to real tracking of parts, or taking turns with people laying down solos, other tracks, etc., where you need different monitor mixes for each player (even if they aren't all listening and/or playing at the same time), and may want to have each group of instruments go to a different output pair (even if they all get piped to the main outs without and level mixing or mutes), for maximum flexibility in quickly changing signal path routings both in software and in hardware.
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.1, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH