Any way to figure out where a soundbite is used?

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
Prime Mover
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Any way to figure out where a soundbite is used?

Post by Prime Mover »

I'm having to do some detective work in searching for old sequences in a massive project, in order to document licensing for work. I've located the soundbites in question, and they do not get selected when I choose "select unused soundbites", so I know they're in a sequence somewhere, but I no not where. Is there any process in which to figure out which sequences a soundbite is used?
— Eric Barker
Eel House

"All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio"
MacPro 1,1 2Ghz 7GB RAM OS 10.6.8 | MacBook Pro 13" i5 1.8Ghz 16GB RAM OS 10.8.2
DP7/8 | Komplete 7 | B4II | Korg Legacy Analog | Waves v9 (various) | Valhalla Room | EWQLSO Gold
MOTU 828mkII | MOTU 8pre | Presonus BlueTube | FMR RNC
Themes: Round is Right and Alloy
mesayre
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Re: Any way to figure out where a soundbite is used?

Post by mesayre »

This is a job for the Edit->Search function.

Do a new Search, select "All Time" in the Time window, and Soundbite in the event attribute box. You can then search for all soundbites matching all or part of a string.

If you select "Display in search results window" as the action, you'll get a tidy little list that shows you where they are, with the option to select them or "go" to them.
DP 10 - Win 10 - Ultralite AVB
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

mesayre wrote:This is a job for the Edit->Search function.

Do a new Search, select "All Time" in the Time window, and Soundbite in the event attribute box. You can then search for all soundbites matching all or part of a string.

If you select "Display in search results window" as the action, you'll get a tidy little list that shows you where they are, with the option to select them or "go" to them.
Wow!

That's what I call an elegant solution. This will be really useful for me too.
Thanks 8)
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
cuttime

Post by cuttime »

Nice! Thank you!
828x MacOS 13.6.6 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.31
EMRR

Post by EMRR »

nice, thanks
Doug Williams
Electromagnetic Radiation Recorders
The Martha Bassett Show broadcast mixer
Tape Op issue 73

DP 11.31
Studio M1 Max OS12.7.3
MOTU 16A and Monitor 8
M1 Pro MBP for remotes and editing
mesayre
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by mesayre »

Glad to help.

It can help with other annoying tasks too, like fine-tuning rhythmic feel and dynamics of MIDI if you're a ham-fisted pianist like myself. A little experimentation and you can easily select only the downbeats to tweak velocities, or upbeats to nudge timing - its more intuitive to me than groove quantize for certain applications.

I can see it being helpful for tracking down a stray keyswitch, if properly configured. Or other such things.

I actually wish I used the search function more often than I do. It is amazingly robust and would probably help my workflow in all sorts of little ways that I can't even think of because I haven't put enough time in using it. Really a hidden DP gem.

Happy searching...
DP 10 - Win 10 - Ultralite AVB
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

Very helpful hint; I printed for future reference.

As I use chunks to speed up album work, vs. separate projects per composition, I can often get similarly named tracks, and after a lot of comping, fades, merges, bounces, etc., I can end up with orphaned sound bites that the "remove unused..." command sees as still marked as in-use.

Sometimes it's a matter of having dragged two sound bites to overlap significantly with each other before deciding the crossing point and applying the fade. Even after cleaning the undo buffer, DP sometimes leaves remnants behind, and they can be annoying to project management (especially if you leave the project for a while).

So, from my point of view, there are quite a few scenarios where you would want to identify where a sound bite is used, and not just the ones posed by the OP.
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.1, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH