Creating a MIDINAM File for a Roland JD-Xi [SOLVED]

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
rp88.2
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Creating a MIDINAM File for a Roland JD-Xi [SOLVED]

Post by rp88.2 »

Good morning:

After doing a little research, it looks like I'm going to be heading down a rabbit hole for a few days to do this.. So, I'm looking for some advice, hints, etc.

I was amazed how hard it was to find information on creating MIDINAM files. Most of the posts are over a decade old and most of the links for tools, etc. go to dead links or 'click here your computer is infected' screens. :lol:

I found a post on the Avid website that was pretty helpful.
http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/en_U ... popup=true

However, what I am looking for now is some advice on what is a similar device to the JD-Xi that I can start with to modify. In addition, the 'Roland Patch Script tool' doesn't seem to exist anymore on the Roland Backstage site; at least I couldn't find it.

Does anyone have experience with this process and could provide some hints?

Thanks!

Rich
Last edited by rp88.2 on Sat Jan 27, 2018 9:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
James Steele
Site Administrator

Re: Creating a MIDINAM File for a Roland JD-Xi

Post by James Steele »

It might be useful to use Cherry Picker. There is a newer version that works with Intel Macs that the developer allowed us to distribute. I'll post some info our esteemed member, Babz, posted in another topic:
Babz wrote:You can use Cherry Picker to create your own patch lists fo DP. Here is my EM article from 10 years ago on how to do it:

http://www.emusician.com/how-to/1334/na ... atch/37935

You can get Cherry Picker from this link:

http://www.motunation.com/files/CherryPicker3.zip

I used it as recently as last fall to create a patch list for the a Yamaha MOXF synths.

If you do manage to create a good working patch list, please do what I did and send it to the good folks at this link, so that it can be made available to other users who might need it in the future:

http://digicake.com/midnams/

Best,
Babz
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
rp88.2

Post by rp88.2 »

Thank you James!

This is what I was looking for - a way to get started as opposed to BBEdit and XML files. If I get a working MIDINAM file, I will post it!

Thanks again!

All the best,

Rich
rp88.2

Post by rp88.2 »

Good News!

I got an initial version working. I've been able to get all the Synth Tones and Drum Kits working.

Getting all the names was a little bit of a bear :shock: -- I was able to create a list of the 256 SuperNATURAL tones ('patches') but most of the tools didn't make it easy to cut and paste the list. So with a little work in Excel and Notepad++ on the PC I was able to edit the XML file and then bring it back in to CherryPicker on the Mac to cleanup.

I'm working on the 4 banks of preset programs now to see how that goes.

Once I get that working I'll post a version on the site you recommended.

Thanks again to James (and Babz) for the help - CherryPicker worked to create the XML shells for editing. :D
rp88.2

Re: Creating a MIDINAM File for a Roland JD-Xi [SOLVED]

Post by rp88.2 »

The MIDINAM file for the Roland JD-Xi is on its way to digicake.com

The version I created contains the following:

SuperNATURAL Synth Tones for Digital Synth 1 & 2 on channels 1 & 2
Analog Synth Tones on channel 3
Drum Kits on channel 10
Preset Programs on channel 16

I hope others find it useful once it's posted on digicake.

All the best,

Rich