MC-500 files to DP9 = OMG

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
socksNsandals
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

MC-500 files to DP9 = OMG

Post by socksNsandals »

In the 80's I was hot stuff on my Roland MC-500 hardware sequencer. I'm not even to amoeba level on DP9. A VERY humbling transition. A couple of years ago I successfully transferred my MC-500 files to DP7. I now have DP9 and want to resurrect those sequences but I am beginning all over again in DP. Using DP9 as a sequencer ONLY, could anyone offer 3 or 4 specific DP foundations that I should learn and understand to start? I understand MIDI but I don't understand how to drive DP. Even though I have a manual, I am overwhelmed as to where to start. Thanks very much in advance :shock:
Chuck
bayswater

Re: MC-500 files to DP9 = OMG

Post by bayswater »

I know you asked for specific sources, but this video does an overview of training resources for DP.
https://vimeo.com/86649594

For basic stuff, there is a link on the startup page for DP labelled "DP Tutorial and Demo Files". That will lead you to a few simple project files that show some basics.

There is also a WIKI that has about 50 simple illustrations of DP functions.
http://en.wikiaudio.org/Category:Digital_Performer

You should go through the sections of the Getting Started manual that are relevant to your use of sequencers and your equipment if you haven't already. Getting the basic setup right at the start prevents a lot of downstream mysteries.

Look at the Tips and Trick thread on this forum. Early in that thread, Shooshie posted a lot of stuff you need to look at to make the best use of MIDI tools in DP.

One paid source you might want to look at is Eli Krantzberg's overview of DP at Groove3. These are about version 8, but just about all of it is useful for learning 8 or 9. If you sign up for a month of unlimited access at Groove3 for about $10, you'll be able to work through his two series on DP basics and DP advanced, and another set of videos on Version 9 changes.

Once you're familiar with some basics, it can be useful to go back and read some sections of the manual. When you know nothing about DP, the manual is like a wall of hieroglyphics, but once you have some basic experience, it makes perfect sense and is worth the time.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
socksNsandals

Re: MC-500 files to DP9 = OMG

Post by socksNsandals »

Thanks much Bayswater. This is just the guidance i’m looking for. As you said, hieroglyphics right now. Baby steps for me! Thanks again :woohoo: