DP 9.51 And Antares AVOX 4 compatibility

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
Gingau
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

DP 9.51 And Antares AVOX 4 compatibility

Post by Gingau »

Just wanted to update you on my attempts to use AVOX4 with DP

Mic Mod EFX.component & Harmony Engine 4.1.component are the only AU plugins that load in DP9.51 from the AVOX_4_MAC_v4.0.2 installer in an iMacPro.

I will wait for the promised series of upcoming maintenance releases and hope they provide better compatibility. At some point I will return to PT to take full advantage of Antares plugins, but DP is my DAW of choice for the time being (especially with no need of a subscription).

The only other anomaly with plugins is how some will only load as vst's. This includes BassStation, BBE, MagicAB, and a select few Native Instruments fx. Curious that DP does not see the AU versions of these.

Plugin Alliance, Focusrite, Izotope, Eventide, NI instruments & Waves all work perfectly as AU.

I wonder if anyone else has a different experience.
In process of updating a 2007 iMac to a 2017 iMacPro
High Sierra
mikehalloran

Re: DP 9.51 And Antares AVOX 4 compatibility

Post by mikehalloran »

I’m not experiencing these problems.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

Every plugin I own works as AU in DP9.51 under Sierra, including all of NI Komplete Ultimate.

That said, I gave up on all Antares except AutoTune quite awhile ago...
HC Markus
M1 Mac Studio Ultra • 64GB RAM • 828es • macOS 13.6.4 • DP 11.31
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Antares has never supported DP — the plugs are listed as possibly compatible and urge you to run the demo first. On the Windows side, being VST3, they’ve never run in DP.

That said, AVOX 4 has worked pretty well up to now. I see the note about a promised software update... ok, whenever. It’s been years since AVOX 4 was released but I don’t recall how many.
https://www.antarestech.com/host-daw-compatibility/

Please note that there are some known issues with the current versions of several of the Avox 4 plug-ins, which we will be addressing in a series of upcoming free maintenance releases

This must mean that they’re not working properly in Logic and PT both of which are fully supported. On the (extremely) rare occasions I use any of the Antares plugs, it’s been in Logic for AutoTune and DP for the AVOX 4 plugs. Now that you can get Logic bundled with Final Cut Pro and MainStage for the same $199.99 as buying it alone, that kind of makes it a no brainer these days.
https://www.apple.com/us_edu_126406/sho ... -education

Back to the OP: I only checked to see that they all load—and they do as does Komplete. I did not check to see that they all work and, according to Antares, the plugs have issues in supported environments. Since you are also having issues with NI also not loading, the promised Antares updates are not likely to help.

When you fire up Native Access, do all your instruments and plugs show up? A recent update of Native Accsss messed with that and a few days later another update was released to fix that for those of us who hadn’t done it manually (took me hours grrrrrr). This was in the last few weeks.
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

HCMarkus wrote:Every plugin I own works as AU in DP9.51 under Sierra, including all of NI Komplete Ultimate.

That said, I gave up on all Antares except AutoTune quite awhile ago...
I had an older version of AVOX at some point and somewhere along the line got confused with how to upgrade, etc. and it fell by the wayside.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.4.1 Sonoma, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

AVOX was released in 2005 and AVOX 2 in 2008. AVOX 4 was 2013. I can’t find the release date for AVOX 3 but I’m thinking around 2010 or so—that was the version I bought in 2011 as an add-on to an AT update... or something like that.
Gingau

Post by Gingau »

Hi, Thanks for keeping this conversation going. Nice to hear others have no problem loading the plugins.
Yes, all the plugins from KOMPLETE 9 show up in Native Access. All the plugins and Apps to manage them are the latest versions from last week.

Interestingly all the plugins including AVOX load fine as AU in DP8 on my MacbookAir - also running HighSierra, so it may be something about the iMacPro Architecture. Age no doubt plays a part, especially the need for 64bit. The 2 Antares that do load are 2015 and 2017(HarmonyEngine) updates. A few from 2013 run fine, but the NI-fx have not been updated since 2012 (most NI components are 2015, Kontakt is 2017). BassStation is 2017, so no idea why that wont run as AU.

I like the AVOX collection for sound design, they have some unique ways of dealing with sound structure.

I got FinalCutPro bundled with the iMac for $300. After seeing your educators link I spent 80 minutes trying to get the refund and update to the bundle but the most they would do is sell me the bundle for $50 on top on my fcp price. Oh well. Wish I had known earlier.

Just got an reply from Antares so will try their troubleshooting this aft and update you on the results.
High Sierra
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Ah... how did you migrate to the iMac Pro? Clean install, Migration Assistant? Other method?
Gingau

Post by Gingau »

Probably shouldn't have used migration asstn cause some old file must have dropped a monkey wrench in the system.

anyway, Antares said:
4. Then open this folder: com.motu.MotuAudioSystem
5. Drag all of these files to the Trash (if you do not see all of them, that's fine, just drag those that you do see to the Trash):
Audio Unit Info Cache 64-bit
Audio Plug-In Prefs
Audio Unit Info Cache
6. Restart your computer

Well, none of that is a big deal, and certainly not the reason for what happened,
But now the new computer won't start & I can't get it to an apple store till next Sat!

Just when I had all my audio plugins nicely set up and was moving on to video. Back to square one I guess.
High Sierra
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Hold Command r to boot into the Repair Partition. Reinstall the OS. No reason to wait till Saturday so that you can wait at the store for the Apple Store tech to do the exact same thing.

Reinstall DP 9.51. Reinstall AVOX. Reinstall Native Access and make sure it can find your libraries.

When done, do a Safe Boot by holding the Shift key. After logging into your User account and seeing your desktop rebuild, reboot normally.

See if you still have a problem.
Gingau

Post by Gingau »

Hi again. After a few tries I did get the machine running again. It kept showing the apple but nothing happened after the loadup bar filled.
First time and during a tech call none of the startup options worked, but I ran through all them again later that night and finally the NVRamReset took!

SMC RESET: Unplug,. NV-RAM RESET: Cmnd, Opt, P, R,. Safe Mode: Shift - start,. Recovery: Cmnd R,. Startup Mngr: Option - start.

Then I got a choice and used the Disk Utility
Repairing file system. Checking the fsroot tree. warning: crypto_val: object (oid 0x4): invalid state.major_version (0)
Which seems to be an iMacPro Bug and the reason for my startup problem.

So after that annoying distraction back to my AU
4. In /Users/~/Library/Preferences open folder: com.motu.MotuAudioSystem
5. Drag these files to the Trash: Audio Unit Info Cache 64-bit, Audio Plug-In Prefs
6. Restart your computer. This forces DP to re-examine all the components.

1st restart (prefs deleted & previously installed components used) fixed the 4 NI-fx components
2nd restart (moving components to ‘unused’ folder & re-using the installer) fixed Novation BassStation, Addictive Keys, Magic AB, & BBE.
Now all are AU with no need for VST! Strange how it took 2 restarts to catch them all.
but AVOX 4 still is not recognized by DP and does not show up in prefs

Ran the Uninstall Avox4.command, reinstalled again, restarted 3rd time and everything is showing and loading!!!
So using the uninstall in terminal cleared up the problem.

Really appreciate your input and helping me think through this anomaly.
A fine rest of the winter to you.
High Sierra
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Glad you got it going.

I'm curious. Did you have FileVault enabled?

I discussed this with a friend in Apple Support and he was wondering. He also said that reinstalling from the Repair Partition should have taken care of crypto_val: object (oid 0x4): invalid state.key_revision (0) also.

I still recommend a Safe Boot as well if you haven't done so already.
Gingau

Post by Gingau »

I saw FileVault as a possible trigger, but I do not use it. Also did not have to reinstall OS. I will try a safe boot, thanks.
High Sierra