film composers: how do you merge chunks with Song?

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
rockman413
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

film composers: how do you merge chunks with Song?

Post by rockman413 »

Recently I tried to use song to merge chunks, to merge cues so I can have all recorded master audio laid in the same sequence, so I can continue watch them playing from one cue to another cue, without switching cues.

I can never do this because:

1. Different cues have different conductor's track, and merge chunk only keep one chunk's conductor's track , meaning all the other chunks's conductor's track will be lost and the audio will be placed at a wrong position.

2. If I lock the audio track, when I merge into a new seq, these audios will also be affect by the tempo info and by default the newly merged seq's tempo is tempo slider, which changes the audio positions. After the new seq is merge, lock will lock the audios but before this, the audios are already placed at the wrong position due to the tempo slider.

What's your film composers way to merge chunks?
macbook pro 10.10, 2.5G,16G ram,256G SSD
frankf

Re: film composers: how do you merge chunks with Song?

Post by frankf »

I create a Master sequence chunk with the video for each reel from which I derive all cues in that reel. I create rough or final stereo audio mixes in each cue's chunk, then drag those mixes to 2 sets (for level adjustment) of stereo tracks in the Master sequence chunk. Since I've derived all Chunks for the reel from the Master referencing the video with correct time code stamps, I can simply move the mixes in the Master to the correct position using the move to original time stamp command. Then I play the Master chunk to listen and view my cues against picture. Additionally I can export a video with my cues for my client. As you can see I don't use the Song window in this workflow.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Frank Ferrucci
http://www.ferruccimusic.com
Mac Pro 6,1 64gb RAM DP9.52 OSX 10.12.6 MIO 2882d & ULN2d Firewire Audio Interfaces, MOTU MTP-AV USB
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

I work like Frank. Master sequence created by bouncing each cue and stringing them along. If I change a cue I replace the bounced audio. Simple is good. The song window is not really a good choice for scoring multiple cues to picture. I very rarely use it except to occasionally flatten multiple MIDI files into one longer file. Naming the tracks is important in getting the combinations to combine properly.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
elcappn

Post by elcappn »

Hey rockman,

If you haven't seen it already, Magic Dave gives a pretty good run down of merging chunks in this video:

Chris

2013 Mac Pro 3.5 6-Core 64GB of RAM, 27" Dell Display x 3, macOS 10.15.7, MOTU 1248, MTP AV, Yamaha S90-es, Dave Smith Prophet 12, OB-6 & Arturia Matrix Brute, DP 10.11, Dorico Pro 2, VEP7, All Oxford plugs, PSP, Pro-Q 3, Kontakt, SoundToys, Softube, Exponential Audio Phoenix Verb, R2, Nimbus & R4, LASS+LS, WIVI Brass+Winds, VSL Harps, Falcon, CineSamples, Spitfire, Output, Heavyocity, Scuffham.
EMRR

Post by EMRR »

marking this, seems like I asked some tangential questions in another thread recently.
Doug Williams
Electromagnetic Radiation Recorders
The Martha Bassett Show broadcast mixer
Tape Op issue 73

DP 11.31
Studio M1 Max OS12.7.3
MOTU 16A and Monitor 8
M1 Pro MBP for remotes and editing
rockman413

Post by rockman413 »

elcappn wrote:Hey rockman,

If you haven't seen it already, Magic Dave gives a pretty good run down of merging chunks in this video:

Thank you I've seen this but in this video, only 1 chunk has conductor's track. If there're 2 chunks with conductor's track, it's going to be a problem.
rockman413

Post by rockman413 »

any more film composers on how to do this?
mesayre
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by mesayre »

If you use the top right menu in the song window, one of the options is "Copy Conductor Tracks". This will merge the conductor tracks of all the sequences you select. Then merge to sequence and you should be good.
DP 10 - Win 10 - Ultralite AVB
rockman413

Post by rockman413 »

mesayre wrote:If you use the top right menu in the song window, one of the options is "Copy Conductor Tracks". This will merge the conductor tracks of all the sequences you select. Then merge to sequence and you should be good.
To me, that does not merge, but only copy one chunk 's conductor tracks, and forgetting all the other chunk's conductor tracks, try yourself, I hope I'm wrong about this