NEWBIE TO MOTUNATION & TO DP9.5

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
foomoola
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: NEWBIE TO MOTUNATION & TO DP9.5

Post by foomoola »

WOW ... All I can Say is WOW !!!
You guys are GREAT, I really do feel like I am part of a community for sure!!! I have been a Gear Page member since forever and I thought they were supportive, but WOW you guys put them to shame... Cant wait to really dive into the DP world once I get the initial purchases and set ups done.
- Hi Leigh - you are the 3rd person that told me about the Neumann m149 I will definitely look closely at that one for sure...
- Hi Tritone - yeah, Scott H. is a killer for sure check out his stuff with Steve Smith and Victor Wooten killer stuff , also an obscure jam he did with Virgil Donati
- Hi Phil O - No i am not going to spend $$$ as I see just how much there is to learn, definitely going to move slowly learning the art of it first, with the basics then I will have a better idea exactly what i like and need..
- Hi HC Markus - what can I say THANK YOU you have been great with your help and advise I will definitely check out the links you sent over...
- Hi Babz - I cant thank you enough either ... I definitely will be just using "in the box" stuff to get started and who knows I may not want to add much outboard stuff. I just know that i tend to be very tactile and like to "touch" stuff as opposed to mousing around and clicking, but that may change. I mean i have seen what can be accomplished in the box and it IS amazing . How can you use two or more interfaces from different manufactures I didnt think they could " talk " to each other, or that they can be run together. let me know about how that works if you could.. THANK YOU for reaching out to Frank Dickinson I hope he contacts me, THAT would be great to have first hand interaction ...Going to sign up for the Groove 3 site tonight ...

- Also does anyone here have any experience with IZ Technologies Radar Studio ? A few people have said I should look into that as the sound is supposedly superior to anything out there ..

Thank You ALL again ...

Dave P.
Babz
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by Babz »

foomoola wrote: How can you use two or more interfaces from different manufactures I didnt think they could " talk " to each other, or that they can be run together. let me know about how that works if you could..
Yes, using more than one interface isn't a big deal. I won't bother going into detailed step-by-step, since it depends on what interfaces and what you're trying to accomplish, but basically you can just select the interfaces you want by clicking in the Configure Hardware Driver menu. One of them can be defined as the Master there. (No need to go into a detailed discussion of digital clocks and which device should be master and why just now. That can all be sorted out when you actually get two pieces of gear in hand.)

As far as "talking to each other"... I'm not sure exactly what you're picturing, but I'll give a typical example. Say you have two 8-channel interfaces. If they are two different bands (say MOTU and Apogee), and you are assigning inputs to tracks in DP, they will show up as MOTU Ch. 1-8, and Apogee Ch. 1-8, and you can assign as needed.

If you have two MOTU interfaces, they can be "networked" together (using their AVB system) so that instead of functioning as two 8-channel interfaces, they function as one 16 channel interface. That is to say, instead of seeing: MOTU interface #1, Ch. 1-8; MOTU interface #2, Ch. 1-8, you will see just one MOTU interface with Ch. 1-16 (or more if you added a 3rd or 4th interface to the network). So that is one advantage of using two of the same band of interface -- assuming you needed that many channels!

Another quick example of using more than one interface at once, which I currently do all the time, is using an iPad as a sound module. My MOTU 8-channel audio interface is connected via Firewire and the iPad is connected via USB using the standard charging cable. In MacOS Audio MIDI Setup, I enable the iPad using the "iOS Device Browser" menu and it will then appears as an audio device (or "interface" as it were) in my DAW.

If I need to record a synth coming from the iPad in DP, I create an audio track and assign it's input to "iPad 1-2". (The iPad is a stereo device, and thus only has two tracks.) MIDI can also be transmitted to and from the iPad over the lightning-USB cable, so I can record and playback MIDI tracks using iPad instruments and monitor and record the audio in DP.

Aggregate Devices (legacy approach): There is also an option in MacOS Audio MIDI Setup to create an "Aggregate Device" (two audio interfaces combined together there). I used to have to do that in the past, and the option is still available, but I don't think it is required anymore. At least, I can say for sure that it is no longer required when using an iPad together w/ a connected multichannel audio interface.

Hope this helps,
Babz
Last edited by Babz on Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
foomoola

Post by foomoola »

Good Morning Babz...

THANKS AGAIN for info... I THINK I am starting to understand some of this stuff!!! SO, if I were to buy the MOTU 1248 AND the MOTU Ultralite AVB ( which i would like to have in order to bring to fellow musicians homes to collaborate ) I could link them together with AVB ( do I need the AVB Switch Box to do this ? ) and essentially have 6 XLR ins and all of the I/O and MIDI from BOTH units. Or if I wanted I could have the MOTU 1248 AND a UA Apollo Twin MKll Quad with the Townsend Mic system ( which is very attractive to me starting out and not having many mics ) and I couldnt use them together for combined XLR , and I/O, BUT i could identify which one I want to use in DP and use which ever accordingly . Can you identify/ choose BOTH at same time in DP and be recording guitars through the 1248 AND vocals through the UA at the same time ? ( I am imagining you cant, but again I have to ask as I dont know )
Also , does anybody have any experience with Amphion Monitors I heard a set of the Amphion Mobile One 12 and thought they sounded real good , also considering Presonus Sceptre 8 and Dynaudio LYD 48 or BM15... either just one set of any these OR maybe 2 sets of different ( as suggested by several people ) to compare different monitors, as I have heard ALL of these and they all sounded pretty damn good to me using same reference music through each. Let me know if any of you have any experience good OR bad with any of these brands

Thanks AGAIN as always...

Dave P.
Babz

Post by Babz »

foomoola wrote:Good Morning Babz...

THANKS AGAIN for info... I THINK I am starting to understand some of this stuff!!! SO, if I were to buy the MOTU 1248 AND the MOTU Ultralite AVB ( which i would like to have in order to bring to fellow musicians homes to collaborate ) I could link them together with AVB ( do I need the AVB Switch Box to do this ? ) and essentially have 6 XLR ins and all of the I/O and MIDI from BOTH units. Or if I wanted I could have the MOTU 1248 AND a UA Apollo Twin MKll Quad with the Townsend Mic system ( which is very attractive to me starting out and not having many mics ) and I couldnt use them together for combined XLR , and I/O, BUT i could identify which one I want to use in DP and use which ever accordingly . Can you identify/ choose BOTH at same time in DP and be recording guitars through the 1248 AND vocals through the UA at the same time ? ( I am imagining you cant, but again I have to ask as I dont know )
I don’t personally own an Apollo or AVB MOTU interface (I’m using older FW-based MOTU 828mk3 and UAD Satellite) but I do try to keep up with the latest developments. But, yes, basically there is nothing preventing you from mixing and matching gear as you describe. Two MOTU AVB interfaces can be networked with Ethernet cables; a switch box would only be needed for 3 or more interfaces. See MOTU’s FAQ on AVB:

http://motu.com/avb/avb-faq/#q4

In terms of combining interfaces from two different companies and recording two tracks on different interfaces at once ... The tricky part would be monitoring while overdubbing. I’m sure it can be done, but MOTU and UAD (and other companies) each have their own system for cue mix monitoring (i.e., monitoring playback of existing tracks while balancing level with the live input in headphones). I’m sure it can be worked out, but maybe some who has actually done it might be able to describe it in more detail.

I say, rather than spending too much energy pondering these more complex what-if scenarios, just get one interface (maybe a smaller more portable one first, if you think mobile will be an important need) and learn that fully and then you’ll have an idea of how well it serves your needs and if you even need a second device.
foomoola

Post by foomoola »

Hi Babz...

Funny thing is, as of yesterday I was thinking the same thing. Just get a damned interface and start making some music!!! I have been listening to too many people other than my own voice inside which just wants to make music. So many people telling me to get everything all at once so you can get completely setup once with everything you could ever need. Problem with that thinking is, that needs change, so what I think I need today isn't necessarily what I will need tomorrow. I have seen that as a guitar player over the years with gear.
So, yes, I am just going to pick the interface I feel will best suit my needs starting out and move on... Thanks again for putting up with my Newbie BullS@#$...

Any input from anybody regarding the monitor companies I mentioned ( Dynaudio LYD 48 ,or BM 15, Amphion Studio One 12 , or Presonus Sceptre S8 ) as to issues / problems / reliability ...OR if you have another monitor that I might want to take a look at. It has been suggested that I maybe should get 2 different monitors to compare back and forth with, so if anyone has a good combination of monitors that you think I should take a look at let me know ...

Thanks Again to Everyone !!!

Dave P.
Babz

Post by Babz »

You've already made a DAW choice, and that's more than half the battle. You just need an interface, and you can't start learning how to make tracks. The main thing to keep in mind it the music. All the gear in the world won't matter if the music doesn't happen.

I think you've nailed it down to some good choices w/ MOTU or UAD, etc.

Maybe wait until after NAMM next week... You never know when a game-changer product will be announced, and, when it does, NAMM is usually when it will happens. A new UAD interface just appeared TODAY, the Arrow. Not a game changer in terms of power, but looks like their most affordable interface yet. Pretty sweet set of features for $499.

https://www.sweetwater.com/insync/unive ... interface/

Best,
Babz
foomoola

Post by foomoola »

Hey Babz...

That sounds like good advice about waiting for NAMM, completely forgot it is was that close. That new UA Arrow looks pretty sweet especially to " grab and go " You have been great, bringing me back down to earth after getting caught up in the frenzy of gear suggestions. I owe ya big time for your help so far ...
I am sure we will talk again ...
Thanks ...

Dave
kwiz

Post by kwiz »

foomoola wrote:Good Morning Babz...

Or if I wanted I could have the MOTU 1248 AND a UA Apollo Twin MKll Quad with the Townsend Mic system ( which is very attractive to me starting out and not having many mics ) and I couldnt use them together for combined XLR , and I/O, BUT i could identify which one I want to use in DP and use which ever accordingly . Can you identify/ choose BOTH at same time in DP and be recording guitars through the 1248 AND vocals through the UA at the same time ? ( I am imagining you cant, but again I have to ask as I dont know )

Dave P.
Yes, you can use up to 4 different interfaces simultaneously and access them all at once if you wished! It's all about setting up your audio bundles (a DP option) to the I/O's that you want to use. I personally use my MOTU 24 Ao and an UA Apollo 16 together in my studio setup; works flawlessly.
Great family and friends!

Mac Studio M2 Max, MacPro 8 core (trashcan), MacBook Pro 16 in 2023, OSX Ventura, DP 11, Pro Tools, Logic Pro X, Motu 112D, 24Ao, 8M, 896 MKIII, UA Apollo 16, Waves Horizon, Slate Everything Bundle, Plugin Alliance Bundle, UAD-2 Satellite DSP Accelerator, UAD Apollo Twin.
Native Instruments Komplete 14 Ultimate, Console 1 MKIII w/C1 Fader

"Without struggle, there is no progress"

F. Douglas
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

My main studio monitors are Dynaudio BM5A's plus a sub. I like them, but that's me.

Bottom line is, whatever monitors you choose, once you put them in your space and begin working and listening, you learn how they translate and, absent some really horrific room resonances, can do just fine.

I recently chose the new MOTU 828es to replace my 828mkII. For me, it was a no-brainer decision: top-shelf conversion, extremely flexible routing (I track drums/bands and need multiple monitor mixes) and pretty much a direct I/O replacement, so nominal studio rewiring. And, like the mkII, it has a footswitch jack for hands-free punch in and out. It also has dynamics and EQ on the internal hardware mixer, which I use for near-zero latency monitor mixes.
foomoola

Post by foomoola »

Hey KWIZ and HC Markus ...

- Kwiz That is GREAT news about being able to connect AND use interfaces from different manufacturers at the same time. I like certain features / qualities of the MOTU line AND the UA line especially the new UA Arrow for portability AND Unison Technology and also the partnership with UA and Townsend Labs Sphere Mic system ...

- HC Markus Yeah it blows me away just how different monitors relay the same test music... I really did like certain things about the Dynaudio and the Presonus and the Amphion models i tried out but i will go back 2 or 3 times before I decide so I really give each set a good work out ...
I will check out the 828es , I havent looked at that one yet as a MOTU sales guy suggested the 1248 or the 624 because they both have the ESS Sabre 32 converters and 2 dedicated guitar ins as well as 4 mic pre's and 2 headphone jacks ...but maybe the 828es does as well . Why did you choose the 828es over the 1248 or 624... Just curious

Thanks AGAIN !!!

Dave
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

foomoola wrote:Why did you choose the 828es over the 1248 or 624... Just curious
The 828es is MOTU's newest, and it came at just the right time. I had an issue with my 828mkII (turns out it was a partially unseated firewire card in my Mac Pro, so now I have the mkII as an emergency backup).

The 828es offered perfect compliment of i/o for my studio + foot switch jack for punch in/out. Only two mic pre/instrument (guitar/bass) inputs, but I have multiple outboard mic pres and way more instrument inputs/DIs than I need. Conversion is the same; top notch. So, for me, an easy choice.

I describe my routing setup, including tablet use, here:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=64296#p550447
foomoola

Post by foomoola »

Yeah ... In my case i need the mic pre's ( but like the idea of that foot switch for punch in as a guitarist ) as I dont have any outboard yet ( just starting up ) but I think I am going to go with the 1248( wish it had that foot switch... Hmmm ) and maybe a UA Arrow OR UA Apollo Twin MK ii for something really portable . Looks like you have a pretty slick set up, very cool.

Anybody out there in DP land have any experience with the Townsend Sphere 22 system ??? Looks impressive and has integration with UA and Softube Console One ...

Thanks

Dave
foomoola

Post by foomoola »

Hello AGAIN from the DP Newbie ....

I am finally seeing the light at the end of the " what the hell do I buy for my 1st home studio quest "
I have a question: I am very interested in the Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol S49 mkll ( or i might wait to see if they come out with a mkll S88 soon ) but i just noticed that it does NOT list Digital Performer as a DAW that the Automap feature is available with. I tried to get a hold of someone from Native Instruments but that was impossible... SO I guess my question is : DO I need to be concerned if it doesn't Automap with Digital performer ? and Is there a good / better controller that syncs with Digital Performer that I should be looking at?
Any info would help ( as I actually had to look up what the heck automap was !!! )

Thanks as Always ...

Dave P.