DP with Duet Display on an iPad

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
ghobish
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

DP with Duet Display on an iPad

Post by ghobish »

Has anybody tried Duet Display https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/duet-di ... d935754064 with DP? I can see a possibility to have the Mix window on the iPad for touch screen mixing, especially while giving the Sequence editor your full major screen real estate, or keeping some plug-in windows open for easy touch-screen access (for plugs where that is practical, anyways).

And yes, I do have a dual display and EuCon in my studio, but could be a real boon when working with my laptop.
Gary Hobish
A. Hammer Mastering & Digital Media
San Francisco, Ca
http://ahammer.com/mastering

Mastering: Mac Studio M1 MAX 2TB SSD, 64GB RAM, 32-core GPU, OS 12.6; DP 11.22, Waves, Izotope RX10 Advanced, Alloy, Nectar, PSP stuff, Plug-In Alliance, Metric Halo ULN-8 MkIV, Euphonix MC Control & MC Mix, Presonus Central Station, and (still) no air conditioning (but at least now there is airflow)

Annex: Mac Pro 2010 5,1 3.33GHz 12-core, 80GB RAM, 10.14.6, DP 11.22, Metric Halo ULN8 MkIV, MOTU 2408III
HCMarkus

Re: DP with Duet Display on an iPad

Post by HCMarkus »

Nice find!
ghobish

Post by ghobish »

Well, here's a first test. It has potential, but there is a significant time-lag in touch screen response and accuracy when accessing the faders- you have to be spot on or instead will trigger grouping function or mix window options. I'll write the company and see what they say.

Gary Hobish
San Francisco, Ca

Mastering: Mac Studio M1 MAX 2TB SSD, 64GB RAM, 32-core GPU, OS 12.6; DP 11.22, Waves, Izotope RX10 Advanced, Alloy, Nectar, PSP stuff, Plug-In Alliance, Metric Halo ULN-8 MkIV, Euphonix MC Control & MC Mix, Presonus Central Station, and (still) no air conditioning (but at least now there is airflow)

Annex: Mac Pro 2010 5,1 3.33GHz 12-core, 80GB RAM, 10.14.6, DP 11.22, Metric Halo ULN8 MkIV, MOTU 2408III
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Very interesting. I’ll be following this.

I’m not a fan of subscription apps but it it can be made to do the job, I’ll go there.

Which iPad model are you using?
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
ghobish

Post by ghobish »

iPad Air. Admittedly, slightly long in the tooth.

The basic program is a purchase, not a subscription and was on sale for 10 bucks. Well worth an experiment. The pro version is a subscription, $20 per year. I have no reason to think the pro version does not suffer at the same latency issue.

I wrote to the company, they responded quickly and said they be happy to take a look at it and send me a beta version if they come up with a fix. Alternatively they offered me a refund. I think I'll keep it though, it may come in handy for other purposes.
Gary Hobish
San Francisco, Ca

bleach30

Post by bleach30 »

Guess Im late to the party..

I tried Duet for the exact same reason and I also found it not useful as a second touchscreen for your exact same reasons.

I also tried another app called Air Display : https://avatron.com/introducing-air-display-3/

For me Air Display was slightly less laggy but still not super useful as a touchscreen for DP. I've ended up using it as a monitor for my meter plugins.
waxman

Post by waxman »

I've bought many and tried them all with no success... no easy or cheap way out so far on touch screens. The touchscreen has to be hooked to USB to not have a network lag. I have a couple Ravens that work great but it's not an inexpensive fix. Why MOTU being a hardware company has not made a custom touchscreen interface for DP is beyond me.
waxman
DP9.5, Macbook Pro (2018) Mojave, Slate VMS mic, Everything Bundle, Dual Raven MTI 2, Apollo Twin Quad, UAD Arrow, UAD Satellite Octo Tbolt and all the UAD plugs, NI Komplete 11 Ultimate & Arturia V Collection 6, Maschine Studio MK3 Hardware, NI Komplete Kontrol 61s MK 2, Spectrasonics Ominisphere, Superior Drummer, BFD3, Ozone 7, Altiverb, Sound Toys, Waves, Final Cut X. PT 11.
thanatopsis
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by thanatopsis »

As far as using an iPad to control faders and knobs in Digital Performer, I prefer to use something like TouchOSC. Everybody probably knows about that since MOTU has configuration files on their download page. It can be pretty handy. I wish it would support the iPad Pro pencil's pressure feature. Maybe it does now.
For using the iPad as just a second monitor, Duet (the $10 non-subscription version) works pretty well with my laptop on the go.
Astropad has also been useful for me on my desktop setup. Although it can only mirror an existing display, it can be used over wi-fi instead of just USB.
I've done some demo projects with vocalist friends, keeping the MOTU recording windows on my main monitor and putting the notation window with a rough melody line and lyrics on my second monitor. Then I mirror the sheet music portion of the second monitor to my iPad Pro. I can stick the iPad Pro on a music stand in a separate room from my computer.
Even with sending audio files back and forth we used to always get a few, "oops, I thought the next verse started a measure later." And talkback cues are annoying. But now the singers can follow the little green line on the electronic sheet music and never miss a beat, even if it is my lyrics and melody that they aren't very familiar with.
It isn't worth the price of an iPad, but I already had the Pro and Astropad for Wacom-like drawing. I was happy to find another use for it.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

If using Duet Display, USB Monitor, eGPU or any other 3rd party display i. e. one that relies on non-Apple drivers, do not update to OS 10.13.4. It may be a bug or a byproduct of Apple killing eGPU support over Tunderbolt 1 & 2. This has not changed as of 10.13.5 Beta 5.

High Sierra 10.13.3 is ok as is eGPU over Thunderbolt 3.

Duet says to complain to Apple. DisplayLink and some of the eGPU card suppliers are working on new drivers as a workaround in case this was done intentionally.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
artfarm1

Post by artfarm1 »

Duet is very useful. I've used it as a video/movie display monitor window when working with my MacBook Pro. No problems.
DP 11, OS Ventura
MacMini 2023 M2Pro, 16 gig RAM, MOTU M6, SSD drives for everything, various sound/sampled libraries from all major vendors, Logic Pro X, DSP-Quattro
MacBook Pro 2015, OSX Monterey, 2.5ghz, 16 gig RAM (w/duplicate software as in MacMini setup)
Trombones: King 2B SilverSonic, King 2B Liberty, & Conn 88H w/Doug Elliott mouthpieces!
http://www.cammillarmusic.com
ghobish

Post by ghobish »

Yes, even though It's not useable as a controller, as a cheap added display it's a good buy.
Gary Hobish
San Francisco, Ca

HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

I've got my networked iPad Air displaying my MOTU 828es AVB Mixer; no need to shift focus on the Mac when making adjustments to the AVB Mixer. Nice and quiet, too, a great way to enable/disable click (routed from DP thru AVB Mixer) silently. No additional software required.