Exporting audio w/plug in settings?

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
jjochems78
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Exporting audio w/plug in settings?

Post by jjochems78 »

I tend to use a lot of plug ins on my songs and the effect chains are often different for most of my tracks. I'm going to be trying to send one of my songs to another studio to be mixed and it seems like the least worst way to do it would be to freeze all tracks with effects and also export dry versions of those tracks as well. But if it's decided to rework the dry track, then can any of the plug in settings from the rough mix be exported as well? If I have eq settings that work well on a rough mix then is there any way to keep it if the song is being exported into something like Pro Tools?
monkey man
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Exporting audio w/plug in settings?

Post by monkey man »

I'm no expert on this, mate, but couldn't you simply take screen snapshots (I'm thinking of SHIFT-COMMAND-4 on the Mac, where you then drag the mouse to create a window for accurate "snapshotting"), and save them along with the associated tracks?

What I mean is, open the plugin windows who's settings you want to archive, and store the pics with the individual WAV files or whatever. The recipient could then translate the parameter values to his / her own EQ plugin/s etc., and even use the same make / model plugins if available 'cause after all, it'd be obvious from your pics what was used in the first place.

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here
bongo_x
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by bongo_x »

The first thing you should do is ask the person mixing it what they want.
They should know.

I think your plan sounds good.
The screenshot idea seems good.

But the person mixing may not want any of that.

I wouldn't worry too much about settings for EQ, compression, even reverb or delays unless it's an obvious special effect. Any sort of mix sweetening effects are things the mixer is going to do. Bit crusher, flanger, amp modeler, stuff like that that's an integral part of the sound it might be helpful to have notes.
jjochems78
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by jjochems78 »

Snapshots is a good idea. I wasn’t sure if that was the most practical way or if there were shortcuts I didn’t know about.