Toggling memory cycle sends note-off?

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
mesayre
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Toggling memory cycle sends note-off?

Post by mesayre »

This seems odd to me, so I'm wondering if there's a preference to change this behavior:

If I have some MIDI in a sequence, feeding a VI, and I toggle memory cycle on or off while transport is running, it kills the notes that are currently playing from that VI, even though I never sent a note off. It then resumes playing from the next note-on. It doesn't seem to matter where in the loop I am, what VI I use, or whether it's real-time or pre-gen. Is this what everyone else gets as well?
DP 10 - Win 10 - Ultralite AVB
cuttime
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Toggling memory cycle sends note-off?

Post by cuttime »

This sounds like something that might be lurking in the Commands Window. See if the "Master Master" is ticked. If unticking it cures the problem, search for some odd commands or command sequences. There are many "gotchas" that have been lurking for me in the Commands window over the years.
828x MacOS 13.6.5 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.31
mesayre

Post by mesayre »

Thanks, but that doesn't seem to make a difference. My MIDI Masters are off.
MW1

Post by MW1 »

MIDI playback has always glitched in DP when toggling cycle on/off - been driving me crazy since v2.5!
mesayre

Post by mesayre »

MW1 wrote:MIDI playback has always glitched in DP when toggling cycle on/off - been driving me crazy since v2.5!
Ooof. That is disappointing. Perhaps you can advise on a different way to solve my problem;

I am putting together a piece for live performance, and I had hoped to have small sections of the piece that could vamp for improvisation and/or timing adjustments. If toggling cycle-repeat did not cause dropped notes, I could use several sequences for different sections of the piece, using cycle to loop sections for as long as I wanted, then turn it off to let a section end naturally and segue into the next using "Chain Chunks". This works well enough for me if the sequences are all MIDI-only and the VI's are all in V-Racks.

But given this doesn't work seamlessly, I am looking for another way to accomplish the same. Using Ableton really seems like overkill for something this simple, and I much prefer DP for composing. Any thoughts/ideas? Rendering the MIDI to audio cuts off reverb tails on looping and causes little bumps at the segue. Using the song window allows me to transition glitch-free, but doesn't allow for easy looping. I have heard of lots of people using DP live but haven't found much online in the way of guides, at least nothing detailed enough to get at this issue.
MW1

Post by MW1 »

Ooof. That is disappointing. Perhaps you can advise on a different way to solve my problem;
Sure - use Logic Pro!
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

Could you render the loop as audio sans reverb, then add reverb on playback to smooth transition points?
mesayre

Post by mesayre »

Hey all, thanks for the thoughts. I think I determined the best way to do this for this particular piece is to use the rewire~ and/or hostcontrol~ objects of Max/MSP, which I think I've decided to use anyway for some interactive elements I want.

One of the few instances where I am quite happy to support a subscription software business model. I certainly don't need Max most of the time, but it can be super handy for the odd project.