Split at Counter question

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
pneron
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Split at Counter question

Post by pneron »

Dear Motunation

I need to insert about 2 seconds of “delay” or a “silence” in the middle of my song. I have about 60 TRACKS (a few MIDI but mostly AUDIO). I don't want use to Insert Measures function since this is really in the middle of a measure. I assume a SPLIT AT COUNTER function combined with some track move or "nudge" would suffice but do not know correct mac command/option combo key strokes after I have used a SPLIT AT COUNTER function.

Ideally, I want to insert 2 seconds of delay or silence at :

Bar: 102|2|238 or 0:03:07.15

As alway, appreciate the help and Happy New Year
DP11, Genelec 8341, MacStudio, Quantum, 2x Faderport16.
LegacyDAW: Amiga2000 3xAD516 SunRize cards
davidh

Re: Split at Counter question

Post by davidh »

This is how I would do it:

In the Tracks overview window, hit CMD-A to Select All
This also automatically sets the selection start point to the start of your sequence and the selection end point to the end of the sequence.
Manually enter your insertion start point of 102|2|238 into the selection start field. Leave the selection end point as it is (the end of the sequence).
CMD-Y to split all tracks at the selection start point.
CMD-L to bring up the Shift dialog
Make sure the ‘By Amount’ tab is selected (it is usually by default)
Select the ‘Later’ radio button
Select the ‘Real time’ (the one with the clock face) radio button
Enter 0:00:02:00 in that time field (for your two seconds)
Click OK to shift all tracks after the insertion point later by 2 seconds

You would then need to go through all your audio tracks maybe adjusting start and end points over the edit and also add fades to each soundbite where they were separated. Be wary too of MIDI notes/controllers which may ‘hang’ over the edit.

Lastly, your bars/beats will be off after the insertion point unless your tempo is constant and a multiple of 60 BPM.
If you want to adjust that too, figure out and insert out tempo and/or meter changes in the 2 second space such that the audio after the insertion point is aligned correctly with the intended meter grid.

Hope this helps…
D
Mac Pro 'Nehalem' 2 x 2.66 Quad Core, 28GB, 10.11.6 || MacBook Pro 2.7 Intel Core i7 Retina, 16GB, 10.11.6 || MOTU 2408 Mk3, 828 Mk 2, MTP AV || DP 9.51 & 9.13, Mach 5 v3, MSI, Ethno2, MX4, VEPro6, all Spectrasonics, Kontakt ... and many of the other usual suspects.
http://www.thekeyboard.co.uk
pneron

Post by pneron »

appreciate the long and detail post, this helps a lot.

will give this a shot and let you know how I make out.

Thanks again

cheers
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

This is one area of related operations where DP, unfortunately, does not shine and is quite clumsy compared to other DAWs, especially if you already have heavy automation. You will need to check your CCs and audio automation to make sure DP didn't create unwanted ramps or made a mess with them.

BTW, the Insert Measures command can insert measures anywhere, not only at the beginning. You can tell DP to insert n measures at the beginning of measure x and manipulate the tempo as needed to compensate.
You could try a similar workflow as David suggests above with this command (instead of shifting). The end result should be the same.
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
pneron

Post by pneron »

thank you for the bkg.
pneron

Post by pneron »

Manually enter your insertion start point of 102|2|238 into the selection start field. Leave the selection end point as it is (the end of the sequence).

Dave / FMiguelez ...where do I do this?

Also, after inserting 2 seconds delay at the cut point, I do not see or hear this delay. I assume it must have to do with how I am selecting the cut insertion points
pneron

Post by pneron »

OK...finally got it....thanks for the help