Best way to time/tempo stretch an entire sequence

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
Killahurts
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Best way to time/tempo stretch an entire sequence

Post by Killahurts »

I have a sequence of audio tracks that were recorded at 124 BPM, and I want to do an EDM remix at 140. I want to just convert the whole thing, i.e. every track/sound bite, to the new tempo, and I want to be sure to take advantage of DP's new time-stretch improvements.

It's a remix, so of course I'll end up chopping it up, replacing the drums, etc., but I have a lot of vocal and instrument tracks to go through, and I'd rather not have to time-stretch (or in this case, compress) every individual sound bite to fit.. besides, I don't see a way to time stretch a sound bite from one tempo to another, only one time to another.

Hoping there is an easy way to do this in DP! Thanks!
DP11, 2019 16-Core Mac Pro, Monterey, 64GB RAM. RME HDSPe MADI FX to SSL Alphalink to SSL Matrix console, and multiple digital sub consoles. UAD Quad PCIe. Outboard stuff.
MIDI Life Crisis

Re: Best way to time/tempo stretch an entire sequence

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Math. I'd figure the new length elapse time and set the time stretch accordingly.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Killahurts

Post by Killahurts »

You know, I always thought of a DAW as essentially a very complex math program.. it is way more capable than I am at calculating this kind of thing.. or so one would think.

Thanks for the response MLC, but.. they really left this capability out? Doesn't make sense.
DP11, 2019 16-Core Mac Pro, Monterey, 64GB RAM. RME HDSPe MADI FX to SSL Alphalink to SSL Matrix console, and multiple digital sub consoles. UAD Quad PCIe. Outboard stuff.
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

Isn't there a preference that will cause the soundbites to conform to new sequence tempo...? If so, enable that preference, than change your project tempo to 140 and wait for the computer to "do the math". Of course, a "Save As" first won't be a bad idea.
David Polich

Post by David Polich »

Yes. Set your new tempo, then select all soundbytes and choose "Set Soundbites to Sequence Tempo".

Some things to consider:

1. If your computer is an older (like pre 2013) Mac, select just three or four soundbites at a time to
process.
2. Make sure you make the range of each selected soundbite conform to start of sequence (bar 1 beat 1 tick 1) to about two to four bars after the soundbite ends. Just to be safe.
3. If you want to adjust cymbals, synth pads, strings, or anything with a long sustain or long decay and release, I suggest recording those again at the new tempo. I'd actually do this for all drumkit pieces. Why? Because the drumkit piece's natural decay would be the same regardless of tempo.
When you time-shift a drumkit piece, its decay gets compressed or extended which doesn't sound right.
4. When happy with all time-shifted tracks, delete the old tracks to free up space and let your project run leaner.
2019 Mac Pro 8-core, 32GB RAM, Mac OS Ventura, MIDI Express 128, Apogee Duet 3, DP 11.2x, Waves, Slate , Izotope, UAD, Amplitube 5, Tonex, Spectrasonics, Native Instruments, Pianoteq, Soniccouture, Arturia, Amplesound, Acustica, Reason Objekt, Plasmonic, Vital, Cherry Audio, Toontrack, BFD, Yamaha Motif XF6, Yamaha Montage M6, Korg Kronos X61, Alesis Ion,Sequential Prophet 6, Sequential OB-6, Hammond XK5, Yamaha Disklavier MK 3 piano.
http://www.davepolich.com
Killahurts

Post by Killahurts »

Wow Dave, thanks!

I'm going to try this today.. I plan to recreate everything except the vocals and certain bass and guitar sounds, so I won't have any pads or drums, etc.

As a matter of fact, since (I'm assuming) I will be selecting the soundbites in the Tracks overview for this process, I can just delete the tracks I know I'm not going to use in advance.

I'll report back later!