Templates location and editing

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
Henry Robinett
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Templates location and editing

Post by Henry Robinett »

Not sure whether this is the exact correct place. Maybe it should be in troubleshooting. But I always used templates. Maybe too much. I need to delete most of them. My set up has changed over the years. I used to find the collection of them in audio preferences, the DP folder. But that's not where most of them are. Can anyone here direct me to their location so I can delete them? Maybe I have to trash the prefs??

OS 10.10.5 still. DP 9.51.
All the best,

Henry Robinett

2019 Mac Pro 16 core, 192 GB; 2 MacPro 5,1 Metric Halo ULN-8 3d (x6), ULN-2-3d, MIDI Express XT,
DP10.13, UAD2 Quad TB,Duo,solo, Fractal Ax Fx III, FM3, LF+12+, Altiverb 7, Pianoteq7, Falcon, Keyscape, Omnisphere, Kontakt 5, Superior Drummer 3, Slate Drums, Live 10, Battery4, Diva, Spitfire Chamber and Symphony Strings, Ivory 2, Spectrafoo, Millennia HV3-D, many mics, many guitars . . ..
cuttime

Re: Templates location and editing

Post by cuttime »

Mine are in HD>Library>Application Support>MOTU>Digital Performer>Document Templates

EDIT: Oh I see. Those are default templates. I don't see my custom ones. I'll continue to look... :sorry:
P.P.S. Okay, try User Home>Library>Preferences>com.motu.digitalperformer>Document Templates.
828x MacOS 13.6.6 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.31
Henry Robinett

Post by Henry Robinett »

I don't think that's it. I deleted all but 5 templates, went back to look and there were still 20. I rebooted with no change.
All the best,

Henry Robinett

2019 Mac Pro 16 core, 192 GB; 2 MacPro 5,1 Metric Halo ULN-8 3d (x6), ULN-2-3d, MIDI Express XT,
DP10.13, UAD2 Quad TB,Duo,solo, Fractal Ax Fx III, FM3, LF+12+, Altiverb 7, Pianoteq7, Falcon, Keyscape, Omnisphere, Kontakt 5, Superior Drummer 3, Slate Drums, Live 10, Battery4, Diva, Spitfire Chamber and Symphony Strings, Ivory 2, Spectrafoo, Millennia HV3-D, many mics, many guitars . . ..
wvandyck

Post by wvandyck »

Henry Robinett wrote:I don't think that's it. I deleted all but 5 templates, went back to look and there were still 20. I rebooted with no change.
The Mac HD and user library locations mentioned by cuttime are the standard locations for DP's Document Templates.

I just created a test DP template and saved it in the User Home>Library>Preferences>com.motu.digitalperformer>Document Templates
It appeared in the template popup on the startup up window and in the File menu.
After deleting it, it's no longer available as a template.

It's very likely you saved your templates to a different location which is why they're still appearing. The question is where?
2017 2.9 GHz MPB/1TB ssd; loaded 2012 i7 quadcore Mini, OS 10.15.5
DP 10.11, Logic 10.5.1, Silverface Apollo Quad/TB, K12UC, Falcon, Integra 7, MIDI guitars etc.
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

Let Spotlight find them for you!

Even if DP templates don't have a special extension, you can tell Spotlight to look for DP files in the system, anywhere else except your "Production HD" or usual audio folder. It should find them faster than you can type the search parameters. You can even look them up by name, since you can see them in DP.
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
hamburski
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by hamburski »

I kept having this question too and finally found them in DP itself:

Preferences/General/Document/Document Templates. Click the "open" button and the list of custom templates comes up.

The path indicated, at least at the bottom of my own list, is:

Mac HD/Users/[user name]/Library/Preferences/com.motu.DigitalPerformer/Document Template/[template name].

On a side note, it seems certain symbols aren't allowed in template names, like apostrophes, and will prevent your template from being available when you're starting a new session.
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

Thanks for the info, hamburski. Good to know!

DP templates are great, but they don't let you hold automation, so I personally prefer to use my own template locations with my own template settings. This way, I can have it include automation to set initial VI Pro parameters the way I like it for all my orchestral tracks.
So when I start a project, I simply duplicate my full DP folder template, move it where I want it, and start from that (and there are no naming limitations).

I used to have an applescript that did all that (plus much more) automatically, but it got broken after updating the OS, and I haven't figured out how to fix it (I think Apple did some big changes to its Applescript language and I haven't kept up with it).
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
Henry Robinett

Post by Henry Robinett »

hamburski wrote:I kept having this question too and finally found them in DP itself:

Preferences/General/Document/Document Templates. Click the "open" button and the list of custom templates comes up.

The path indicated, at least at the bottom of my own list, is:

Mac HD/Users/[user name]/Library/Preferences/com.motu.DigitalPerformer/Document Template/[template name].

On a side note, it seems certain symbols aren't allowed in template names, like apostrophes, and will prevent your template from being available when you're starting a new session.
I'm very late to acknowledge you but thank you so much! This was it!
All the best,

Henry Robinett