Group Comping

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
Robby in WA
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Group Comping

Post by Robby in WA »

Merry Christmas. :headbang:

I hope somebody is else is geeking out today and can help me. I've always done this manually and there's got to be a better way. I have 12 drum tracks, I want to comp 2 or 3 performances together. Is there a way to make one like a 'Master' track and have all the tracks follow it's comps?
mhschmieder

Re: Group Comping

Post by mhschmieder »

Be careful about timing differences between the mics, which can cause phase issues.

I do this manually as a result, but it is so fast that I don't mind, since the Sequence Editor follows the Group and then I can quickly toggle Group Off to fine-tune the timing of cross-fades for tracks whose mics were significantly further away.

I tried track comping and didn't like it, for reasons related to phasing/timing. It's great that the feature is there. And I did use it with Group Mode when I tried it but don't remember if I somehow set one Take as "Master" so to speak. I generally copy/paste between takes as it is so easy/quick to line things up, and as timing might be slightly different anyway.

Someone else will surely answer the raw technical question, but if this is JUST to save time, I just want to make sure that didn't make you forget the possibility of time-alignment issues within the Group and/or between Takes.
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.1, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH
Robby in WA

Post by Robby in WA »

Thanks. Got it figured out. Never messed with the Custom menu in Groups. I recorded to a click and have a mic set up that I know which mics to flip the phase on. Little Labs IBP works good for fine tuning. Mainly choosing between fills. Added a CopperPhone mic this time. Fun sound.
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

Cool. I need to buy Little Labs IBP at some point myself. Glad that does the trick for you, in conjunction with group comping!
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.1, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH