View only purchased UAD plugins

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
jim2b
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

View only purchased UAD plugins

Post by jim2b »

Hi Folks,

Does anyone know how to only see purchased UAD plugins instead of the entire available library when I insert one in the mixer?

Happy Holidays!

Jim
DP 11, High Sierra, Mid 2010 Mac Pro 3.33ghz, 32gb Ram
James Steele
Site Administrator

Re: View only purchased UAD plugins

Post by James Steele »

jim2b wrote:Hi Folks,

Does anyone know how to only see purchased UAD plugins instead of the entire available library when I insert one in the mixer?

Happy Holidays!

Jim
The only way I've achieved this is rather painstaking. I open the UAD control panel and open the list of installed plugs which shows which are purchased and which you can activate the demo for, then I open DP's Audio plug ins preference pan and go through and manually disable all the UAD plugs that I have not actually purchased. It takes some time but you should only have to do it once. I'm afraid there's no *easy* way.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
jim2b

Post by jim2b »

Thanks, James!

Jim
DP 11, High Sierra, Mid 2010 Mac Pro 3.33ghz, 32gb Ram
Gravity Jim

Post by Gravity Jim »

Painstaking, indeed! And I have to redo it every freaking time UA updates the plugs.

Arrrrrrgh. But, it does work, and it's better than seeing all those available demos.
Jim Bordner

MacPro 5,1 (3.33Ghz 12-core), 32g RAM, OS X 10.14.6 • MOTU DP 10.11 • Logic Pro X 10.2.5 • Waves Platinum, UAD-2, Slate Digital, Komplete, Omnisphere 2, LASS, CineSamples, Chipsounds, V Collection 5[color]
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

You can also disable all undesired plugins within DP Preferences
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

HCMarkus wrote:You can also disable all undesired plugins within DP Preferences
I think that's what I suggested. I just mentioned having the UAD control panel app open so you could quickly see which plugs were offering you a DEMO and which were purchased as a reminder in case you weren't sure which plugs you had purchased or not.

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

James Steele wrote:
HCMarkus wrote:You can also disable all undesired plugins within DP Preferences
I think that's what I suggested. I just mentioned having the UAD control panel app open so you could quickly see which plugs were offering you a DEMO and which were purchased as a reminder in case you weren't sure which plugs you had purchased or not.
Yes, I was Ninja'd by Mr. Steele.
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Hee hee hee! :brucelee:

Kev
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by Kev »

jim2b wrote:...how to only see purchased UAD plugins instead of the entire available library...
I always delete all the dll files corresponding to the plugins that I have not purchased. I keep backup copies elsewhere, in a folder that is not picked up in the scan.
Occasional user of DP(v9.52), Mainly using Cakewalk and Mixbus32C(4.3).
i7-13700|Gig-UD790-RD|UAD2octo+solo|Multiple-drives|MatroxC420|W11
Audient-iD44II+ASP800|Aphex141B|KRK-VXT6|+VariousOutboardGear|+guitars&basses|+MIDI-keyboards
Babz
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by Babz »

This is something I've wanted to attend to for a LONG TIME!

Thanks for the tip to use the UAD Control Panel! Great tip!

So what I did was consult that list (unfortunately, there seems to be no way to change the size of the UAD Control Panel window to seem them all at once, so I made 3 screen shots). Then I went into Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/Components and I created a folder called UAD Demo. Then I selected the first and last UAD components while holding down shift to highlight them all. Then you can Command-click to deselect the ones you want to keep on your list. Drag the rest into the UAD Demo folder. Then when you restart DP, you have a list that shows only your purchased plugins.

I'm not sure what the implications of this will be going forward. It obviously makes it inconvenient it you ever want to demo an unpurchased plugin. Also, who knows what will happen next time I install a UAD upgrade. (I probably need to remember to drag all those hidden ones out of the UAD Demo folder before running the installer).

Another option would be to use DP's Plugin Set's feature. Create a new Set and uncheck all the unpurchased UAD plugins. Then to revert to the full set you can just choose a the original Default set.

Best,
Babz
Last edited by Babz on Sun Jan 14, 2018 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Babz
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by Babz »

I wish I could figure out a way to get the ones in the UAD Demo folder to show up in a submenu in the plugin list.
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Babz wrote:Another option would be to use DP's Plugin Set's feature. Create a new Set and uncheck all the unpurchased UAD plugins. Then to revert to the full set you can just choose a the original Default set.
That's what I do. I am also using an older app that let you create sets of Audio Units you want to use and it moves the components between the "Components" folder and a folder called "Components (Unused)" or something similar. I can't remember the name right now. The only caveat is that it hasn't been updated and has a quirk where after you run any sort of AU installer you need to go into the Components folder and make sure it's set to grant read/write permission to "everyone" and then you have to then apply those permissions to all enclosed components or it won't work right. That said, if you're willing to use that work around it's really nice for when you want to go from running DP to running, for example, FCPX where you don't want or need a bazillion audio units available.

James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Update to this old topic. There is an app called UAD Plugin Cleaner that lets you automate this. See this topic:

https://www.motunation.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=73020