Korg nanoKONTROL Studio as DAW Controller for DP9

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
rumo
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Korg nanoKONTROL Studio as DAW Controller for DP9

Post by rumo »

Hi, has anybody got a Korg nanoKONTROL Studio to work with Digital Performer 9.51? The transport controls work but I cannot get the faders and Mute/Solo/Rec/Select and the scrub wheel to work...?

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk
Gravity Jim

Re: Korg nanoKONTROL Studio as DAW Controller for DP9

Post by Gravity Jim »

Can't help with your specific goals, but I can offer some advice:

Return it. Trying to mix with a control surface that doesn't have motorized faders is a prescription for madness. Seriously, I had one, and couldn't take it back to the shop fast enough.
Jim Bordner

MacPro 5,1 (3.33Ghz 12-core), 32g RAM, OS X 10.14.6 • MOTU DP 10.11 • Logic Pro X 10.2.5 • Waves Platinum, UAD-2, Slate Digital, Komplete, Omnisphere 2, LASS, CineSamples, Chipsounds, V Collection 5[color]
rumo

Post by rumo »

I am testing a Icon Platform M+, standard Mackie Control Support and motorized faders.

rumo

Post by rumo »

I hope that will work better :) I just wanted to test some DAW controllers, I already preparing to send it back

Gravity Jim

Post by Gravity Jim »

That's exactly what I did. Raven sucked, Korg sucked worse. I ended up with an Icon Platform-M.
Jim Bordner

MacPro 5,1 (3.33Ghz 12-core), 32g RAM, OS X 10.14.6 • MOTU DP 10.11 • Logic Pro X 10.2.5 • Waves Platinum, UAD-2, Slate Digital, Komplete, Omnisphere 2, LASS, CineSamples, Chipsounds, V Collection 5[color]
Guitar Gaz

Post by Guitar Gaz »

I have 3 - 1 x nanoKontrol1 and 2x nanoKontrol2 but I have stopped using them. If you set them up as per instructions they will work with DP and the updated nanoKontrol Studio seemed a good idea. But the truth is I can't be arsed to set them up each session and use them - much easier just to use a mouse on the fader. I have wasted enough time on controller functions of keyboards and these controller faders. So I would save yourself the hassle - you won't use it after a while.
Gary Shepherd
iMac 27" 3.3 GHz Intel Core i5, 32 GB Ram, Monterey 12.7.4, 64 bit, Digital Performer 11.3, Studio One 6.6 Professional, Reason 11, Melodyne 5 Editor, Korg Legacy Wavestation and M1, Arturia minimoog V, Helix Native 3.72, Bias FX 2 Elite, Superior Drummer 3, EZkeys, EZbass, Nektar Panorama T4, Motu M4, Faderport 2018, Gibson Les Paul Standard, James Tyler Variax JTV-59 and other gear.
williemyers

Post by williemyers »

Just a quick note before the Korg nano gets tossed too quickly...
I think you guys that were using the Korg's faders to control DP mix faders were having bad results, whereas I'm using the Korg faders to send MIDI CC info and they're *great* for that! The buttons and knobs, too.
I had long since assigned all of the programables on my MIDI kybd. and still needed a few more. The Korg does the job at a great price!
DP 9.52(OS 10.13.6), PTools 11.3.3, Sibelius 2021.12,
MacPro 5,1 mid-2010, 2 x 2.93Ghz 12 core, ATI Radeon HD 5870, 64 Gig RAM, 4 x >120G SSDs, 2 x 25" LCDs
couple o' hardware synths, loadza legal libraries
Kurz Midiboard, MOTU MTP AV

https://vimeo.com/71580152

"I always wanted to be a composer - and I am..."
"I never wanted to be a recording engineer - and I'm not..."

~me
Klaus

Post by Klaus »

I use a Nano when I have to fit into a small place - when doing live mixing
It is on the audio sub groups or the vca layer...
I also have 2 Platform M, and wonder, how to use both simultaneously on OSX
If both are connected, Audio MIDI Setup only sees one ...
Anyone ?
...and they can be programmed ( on a WIN-DOZE )
Thanks

Klaus
JSmith1234567
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by JSmith1234567 »

I love the Nano as a MIDI cc controller, and find it indispensable.

It works flawlessly, and is easy to program.

In DP if you want to use it for specific faders other than general cc-7 and cc-11 input, you can use an obscure cc # and then attach the fader in DP.

One hint...If you are setting it up to control audio-volume rather than MIDI-volume, set the range of that fader in the Korg editor to 0-89 instead of 127. That will get about as close to null-100% for audio volume as you can get.
OSX Big Sur (latest). Mac Pro Late 2013 ("trash-can"), 3.5 Ghz 6-Core Intel XeonE5, 64GB RAM. Motu DP 11.03, Vienna Pro Server, Presonus Notion, Osculator, Keyboard Maestro
rumo

Post by rumo »

Thanks for the advice on using the nanoKorg Studio for writing MIDI CC data. That’s actually what I intended to use it mainly. Got to check that out. Someone also told me I have to use the Korg MIDI Connect software from here: http://www.korg.com/de/products/compute ... ol_studio/

JSmith1234567
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by JSmith1234567 »

I use the NanoKontrol (not the wireless one), and that just shows up as a MIDI device. No driver that I remember.

The only software it needs is the editor.

Once you edit it, it remembers everything (after power-down too).

Not sure about the NanoKontrol Studio.

I WOULD love it if someone came out with a motorized controller some day that does cc-11!
OSX Big Sur (latest). Mac Pro Late 2013 ("trash-can"), 3.5 Ghz 6-Core Intel XeonE5, 64GB RAM. Motu DP 11.03, Vienna Pro Server, Presonus Notion, Osculator, Keyboard Maestro
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

williemyers wrote:Just a quick note before the Korg nano gets tossed too quickly...
I think you guys that were using the Korg's faders to control DP mix faders were having bad results, whereas I'm using the Korg faders to send MIDI CC info and they're *great* for that! The buttons and knobs, too.
I had long since assigned all of the programables on my MIDI kybd. and still needed a few more. The Korg does the job at a great price!
I totally agree.

I bought my Novation controllers to control DP's transport and faders and pan pots, but it was ridiculous working in "banks of 8". Simply locating, and making a Novation fader control a mixer one, took for ever and was a workflow killer. Much easier to simply click with the mouse.

It took me 2 minutes to realize all this was something that sounded better seen on Novation's website than on reality...
So they do suck big time for that.

** BUT... **, big but... They are awesome to produce and control all kinds of MIDI CCs. I liked the Novation so much for this, that I went ahead and bought a second one for the sole purpose of controlling all my VIs with their myriads of possible CCs.
I couldn't work without them these days.
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
rumo

Post by rumo »

Hm, installed all the drivers from the KORG site, followed the instructions for Digital Performer in the manual, it still just reacts to the transport controls :/ I think the Icon Platform M+ should arrive tomorrow, maybe that will work a little better!
williemyers

Post by williemyers »

rumo, check here for the software you'll need to customize/use your Nano as a MIDI CC controller
http://www.korg.com/us/support/download ... /#software
(under software, you'll want the KorgKontrol (1.7) for your platform)
MacPro 5,1 mid-2010, 2 x 2.93Ghz 12 core, ATI Radeon HD 5870, 64 Gig RAM, 4 x >120G SSDs, 2 x 25" LCDs

~me
williemyers

Post by williemyers »

FMiguelez wrote:...awesome to produce and control all kinds of MIDI CCs. .... I went ahead and bought a second one for the sole purpose of controlling all my VIs with their myriads of possible CCs. I couldn't work without them these days.
and now *I* couldn't agree more! it's *really* helps things - have 16-18 dedicated MIDI CC controllers and I'm thinking of getting another 8-fader unit this spring.
(p.s. - luv your avatar, FM!)

~me