It is currently Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:17 am

Text Size

capture 'song' as soundbite?

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderators: James Steele, Shooshie

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."

capture 'song' as soundbite?

Postby EMRR » Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:06 am

So far I'm not finding a method for this one in the manual.

I have a 'song' which is a theater production playlist of various sequences containing audio soundbite mixes. As a song made up sequences/chunks, I'd like to print a mix of the entire thing within DP so there's a master audio file of playback elements to import into a video editor along with captured ambience and voice tracks from the production, but don't see an obvious way to do this. Can't apparently create a capture sequence within a song? Is this a Polar job? Drop all the existing sequence mixes in a new sequence, use adjusted timecode start points from song to auto align? I see several paths, but am pretty sure I'm missing the most automatic choice. What do you film/TV/theater guys do? I'm usually just a straight pop music slob.
Last edited by EMRR on Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:37 am, edited 2 times in total.
Doug Williams
Electromagnetic Radiation Recorders
Tape Op issue 73

DP 8.07.
3.4GHz iMac, OS X.10.5, MOTU 16A and Monitor 8.
2.2GHz 2014 MBP fo remotes and editing.
AlphaTrack controller.
Several tons of analog gear, DP generally used like a tape machine with editing, some processing per track, exporting multitrack to analog world.
EMRR

Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: capture 'song' as soundbite?

Postby EMRR » Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:35 am

Another Song observation, in this case, possibly a bug. Maybe there's a reason. Theater playback turned out to be mono ceiling speakers. I enabled mono fold down on the master track in each sequence, and it plays as such when in the sequence. When in the Song chunk, they still play as stereo. I ended up having to manually recenter all pans in each sequence, sizable manual labor.
Doug Williams
Tape Op issue 73

DP 8.07.
AlphaTrack controller.
Several tons of analog gear, DP generally used like a tape machine with editing, some processing per track, exporting multitrack to analog world.
EMRR

Postby stubbsonic » Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:51 am

I have no experience with this, but could you put a parallel chunk in the Song editor graphic window that runs along the whole length of the song- and add an input track there that runs through the entire thing?
RMBP (2.6 i7), FF800, OS 10.10.5, DP8, Kontakt, Reaktor, K2661S, K2500RS, iPad4, (also an old sawtooth G4 with a UAD-1 for legacy apps).

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
stubbsonic

Postby EMRR » Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:11 am

hmm, that's not a bad thought, if allowed.
Doug Williams
Tape Op issue 73

DP 8.07.
AlphaTrack controller.
EMRR

Postby mikehalloran » Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:12 am

Not understanding why you wouldn't use BTD to create your mono files. Export them to a separate folder and reload into a new project that just contains your cues.
July 2010 iMac 2.93G i7 Quad, OWC eSATA mod, 32G RAM, OS 10.13.1
828mkII FW; MOTU MTP/AV USB with Firmware 2.0.1; DP 9.5.1; IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan Antares, 32Lives, MachFive 3.2.1
LogicPro X 10.3.2, Finale 25.5, 2014.5, Encore 5.0.7, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave 1.18, DSP-Q 4.4, QuickTime Pro 7.6.6, SmartScore Pro X2 10.5.5, Toast 16
Test machine: G4-1K Dual Processor: OS 10.4.11 / OS 9.2.2; DP 5.13; Encore 5.05 & 4.5.5; Toast 9.07b, legacy apps
mikehalloran

Postby EMRR » Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:22 am

Because this was a fast moving 'workshop' presentation, and I was actively mixing for the room through rehearsals. There were several sets of varying information to playback, depending on specifics of the moment, and there were some cold-start vocal cues that had to come from playback, with performers jumping in slightly later, version without vocal to playback, version with vocal to playback, constant adjustments right up to public performance.

But outside of that, why would that mono fold down not work in this mode? Seems it should.

mikehalloran wrote:Not understanding why you wouldn't use BTD to create your mono files. Export them to a separate folder and reload into a new project that just contains your cues.
Doug Williams
Tape Op issue 73

DP 8.07.
AlphaTrack controller.
EMRR

Return to Digital Performer [MacOS]: Usage, Techniques, Tips & Optimization