Event List Import Export

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
aculver
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Event List Import Export

Post by aculver »

Is there any way to import or export an event list? Say to/from a text file? Not SMF.

I have been composing for decades using code to generate events as text files. I can make my output conform to any syntax and format. This would be a natural fit for DP's event list view if I could only get my events in there.

Thanks,

Andrew Culver
bayswater

Re: Event List Import Export

Post by bayswater »

You can use the Print function to write the list to a PDF, then copy paste into a plain text edit window. There will be some editing to do but not that difficult with a basic search and replace.

Here's an example of a simple event list done that way.

1|1|320 Audio-1 ----  4|262
2|1|253 Audio-1 ----  4|262
3|1|400 Audio-1-03#.2 ----  0|399
4|1|133 Audio-1-03#.3 ----  0|245
4|1|240 Audio-1#.2 ----  0|318
4|1|440 Audio-1 ----  4|262
4|2|464  Volume  -7.33
4|2|467  Volume  -7.33
5|1|339 Audio-2 ----  2|021
11|1|000 Audio-2 ----  2|021
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
aculver

Post by aculver »

That's cool. Thanks.

What about the other way -- import?
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Import a text file? I don't think so. You'd need to turn it in to a MIDI file first. I suppose you could do that with a Sysex editor if you're thoroughly familiar with the MIDI spec.
philbrown

Post by philbrown »

aculver wrote:That's cool. Thanks.

What about the other way -- import?
Think of it this way - the Event List represents data in the DP file.
Turning that into text (as above) is one thing.
Turning that text back into the original data doesn't make sense.
You'd have to import the data itself, not a text readout of it.
2020 iMac 27" 3.6GHz 10 core i9 • Mac OS 12.2.1 • DP 11.04 • UAD-8 Octo card • Midas M32R

Plugs: UAD•Slate•Scuffham•Flux IRCAM•NI Komplete•Klanghelm•Waves•Spectrasonics•Arturia•Soundtoys•Nomad Factory•PSP•Stillwell•Cytomic•Korg•Five12•GForce
aculver

Post by aculver »

If the event list represents the MIDI data, then it is by definition a "representation" of music, at least as MIDI represents it. And it certainly looks like text.

I have looked into it over the years, and neither a standard MIDI file, nor raw MIDI, is as simple and human-readable as DP's event list. (In fact, within my code, I often use the variable EventList.)

And I have worked with other programs that welcome text input: Score, Csound and Max to name 3.

But I think the consensus seems to be that DP's event list is not really a form of musical data within DP -- it is just a visual presentation of something else. A desire to import a well-formatted text file into DP as an event list is missing of MOTU's programmers and managers. If I have it right.

Too bad. DP is such a natural for this use case -- and it would make DP unique in yet one more way.

Are there any other folks out there that would like to see text-file import into DP's event list for their compositional needs?

AC
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

DP's event list looks to me like the event list in any other DAW. It's meant to allow you to micro edit MIDI data. I see it as a holdover from the very earliest version of DP (and other DAWs) and If it wasn't already there, I doubt anyone would develop it now. There are a zillion ways to get MIDI into DP and any other DAW, and a lot ways to edit it, most of them more musical than a text editor. Adding plain text would not a priority for me.
philbrown

Post by philbrown »

The event list can contain MIDI on/off, other MIDI, Soundbites, Markers, tempo/meter changes etc. I stick with what I said in my earlier post.
I think it's obvious that on the deepest level EVERYTHING in DP is a mere representation of audio/music etc.
2020 iMac 27" 3.6GHz 10 core i9 • Mac OS 12.2.1 • DP 11.04 • UAD-8 Octo card • Midas M32R

Plugs: UAD•Slate•Scuffham•Flux IRCAM•NI Komplete•Klanghelm•Waves•Spectrasonics•Arturia•Soundtoys•Nomad Factory•PSP•Stillwell•Cytomic•Korg•Five12•GForce
wvandyck

Post by wvandyck »

The event list is useful in that it provides an overview of the data within a project for musical and problem solving purposes - spotting controller data causing unexpected changes in playback as well as precise placement of musical events.

On a side note, one of the biggest gripes of Studio One users is that it doesn't have an event or list editor.
2017 2.9 GHz MPB/1TB ssd; loaded 2012 i7 quadcore Mini, OS 10.15.5
DP 10.11, Logic 10.5.1, Silverface Apollo Quad/TB, K12UC, Falcon, Integra 7, MIDI guitars etc.