Mac Mini with DP setup, simple task, possible?

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
alex2035
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Mac Mini with DP setup, simple task, possible?

Post by alex2035 »

Hi , one of the guys at the studio asked me to find out if a setup with a Mac Mini (i5, 5400rpm drive,4 gig RAM) would suit him for home practising, meaning this simple workflow:

using Digital Performer (we use it here in all controls thats why DP) , capture or track a YouTube music video, or whatever from the Web. Analize tempo, and throw that soundbite over Capo/Riffstation for practise piano playing, or guitar, whatever.

Question is, does the 5400 HD be a bottleneck? does he need a second (USB3) audio drive? I guess yes.
And finally can he get off without an external (USB?) audio interface? meaning "does DP could record and playback from Mac Mini's internal audio card?" I am tempted to think No.

Thanks for any tips.
Alex
mikehalloran

Re: Mac Mini with DP setup, simple task, possible?

Post by mikehalloran »

Will it work? Yea but...

You have a couple of bottlenecks. DP really wants to see at least 8G but you want to max out the RAM at 16G if possible. Replace that hard drive with an SSD—the bigger the better. It's a fairly easy install.

Besides DP, it will make everything run faster and more smoothly.
Last edited by mikehalloran on Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
alex2035

Post by alex2035 »

Thanks Mike
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

I didn't address this:
does DP could record and playback from Mac Mini's internal audio card?" I am tempted to think No.
Playback, yes through powered speakers or unpowered headphones.

DP can record audio but it's a kludge and may involve Soundflower. There are other, easier ways.

If the audio is coming from the internet, you have to record it. From a downloaded video, you have to rip it. There are ways to do this in Quicktime. VLC Player and Handbrake.app have been around for many years and are more versatile for this use as well as being faster.
https://www.wikihow.com/Rip-DVD-Audio-t ... dia-Player

Once you have the audio file, you can then drop it into DP.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
arion
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by arion »

I've been working with a mac mini, 5400 rpm drive and an UAD Apollo Twin since 2014 without any problems. Mix and edit not too complicated rock-pop-jazz 20-48 tracks.
mac mini 2014/16 G/DP 9.51/Apollo Twin Duo/