Whats your way to export all audio tracks into separate file

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
Michael Canavan
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Whats your way to export all audio tracks into separate

Post by Michael Canavan »

magicd wrote:Select All in the Tracks window.

Merge Soundbites from the Audio menu.

Go to the Project folder>Audio Files and view by date. The newly created audio files will be at the top of the list and ready to import to any other DAW.

Dave
Curious about this, I often do not render virtual instruments to audio files before exporting etc. So this method wouldn't work right? This wouldn't work on aux tracks or on V-racked instruments either I'm guessing. What I've done forever is to freeze all tracks, (instruments etc.) then export the frozen audio files. The downside to this is all tracks have to be batch renamed for clarity.

My biggest wish for DP 10 is definitely render options for tracks, i.e. something like this method that would work on anytrack in the Tracks window, so say you want to render Stems? select the 4-8 whatever Aux or audio tracks you set up to receive Bass, drums, vocal busses etc. select those aux tracks and render to separate audio files etc.
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
waxman

Post by waxman »

Michael Canavan wrote: My biggest wish for DP 10 is definitely render options for tracks, i.e. something like this method that would work on anytrack in the Tracks window, so say you want to render Stems? select the 4-8 whatever Aux or audio tracks you set up to receive Bass, drums, vocal busses etc. select those aux tracks and render to separate audio files etc.
+1
Yes being able to render everything to audio with a simple global command would be amazing. Once I have a mix having to render VI's, FX, etc is not easy.
waxman
DP9.5, Macbook Pro (2018) Mojave, Slate VMS mic, Everything Bundle, Dual Raven MTI 2, Apollo Twin Quad, UAD Arrow, UAD Satellite Octo Tbolt and all the UAD plugs, NI Komplete 11 Ultimate & Arturia V Collection 6, Maschine Studio MK3 Hardware, NI Komplete Kontrol 61s MK 2, Spectrasonics Ominisphere, Superior Drummer, BFD3, Ozone 7, Altiverb, Sound Toys, Waves, Final Cut X. PT 11.
magicd

Post by magicd »

Michael Canavan wrote: Curious about this, I often do not render virtual instruments to audio files before exporting etc. So this method wouldn't work right? This wouldn't work on aux tracks or on V-racked instruments either I'm guessing. What I've done forever is to freeze all tracks, (instruments etc.) then export the frozen audio files. The downside to this is all tracks have to be batch renamed for clarity.

My biggest wish for DP 10 is definitely render options for tracks, i.e. something like this method that would work on anytrack in the Tracks window, so say you want to render Stems? select the 4-8 whatever Aux or audio tracks you set up to receive Bass, drums, vocal busses etc. select those aux tracks and render to separate audio files etc.
Merge soundbites does exactly that. Merge soundbite does nothing in regards to an instrument or MIDI track. Merge soundbites will print crossfades, bite gain, and pitch automation. Merge soundbites does not include plug-ins or track automation.

I use Bounce to Disk to render instrument tracks to audio. Bounce is faster than real time. I choose the option to import to sequence. You can only generate one file at a time with bounce.

Freeze tracks is basically an automated record function. You can freeze multiple tracks with a single operation and that operation will happen in real time.

Dave
Michael Canavan

Post by Michael Canavan »

magicd wrote:I use Bounce to Disk to render instrument tracks to audio. Bounce is faster than real time. I choose the option to import to sequence. You can only generate one file at a time with bounce.

Freeze tracks is basically an automated record function. You can freeze multiple tracks with a single operation and that operation will happen in real time.

Right, so the best option if you're doing more than two files is to Freeze tracks.
But if you're looking at importing you're looking at renaming, not such a big deal in newer versions of the OSX Finder... The downside is it clutters your project if your purpose was to "flatten" as other DAWs call it all your tracks with plug ins and virtual instrument tracks to simple audio files. It's a lot of housekeeping to get to a Sequence Chunk with rendered audio files. This is something I've become hopelessly attached to doing from working in other DAWs like Logic and Live which have a selection for rendering all individual tracks to separate audio files. It's a time saver, and allows you to quickly open a new project while still having the original virtual instrument and audio FX tracks project.

DP "could" do much better than that with that feature, since your original Sequence Chunk with FX etc. could live in the same DP Project as the new audio file only project ready for heavy weight mixing and mastering plug ins. As it stands this is my workflow on this, Copy Sequence Chunk, Freeze all tracks, grab all frozen audio files and drag them to another folder, rename them (remove FREEZE etc.), open new Sequence Chunk and import audio.. I learned the hard way if you don't move and rename them they can get deleted with the project frozen tracks etc.

Yes, it is possible now, it's just a lot of housekeeping compared, and it doesn't seam to me to be that complicated to implement, (famous last words I know) as it stands the frozen audio is essentially rendering audio, it's just doing it with dependancies. :)
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
waxman

Post by waxman »

I use Merge to make all my stems. My thought is whoever is doing a mix should not be saddled with my decisions. So just fades is all I put in the merge files. I did not know that merge file wrote the automation to the stem. I knew it did bite gain, fades and mutes... is that correct?
waxman
DP9.5, Macbook Pro (2018) Mojave, Slate VMS mic, Everything Bundle, Dual Raven MTI 2, Apollo Twin Quad, UAD Arrow, UAD Satellite Octo Tbolt and all the UAD plugs, NI Komplete 11 Ultimate & Arturia V Collection 6, Maschine Studio MK3 Hardware, NI Komplete Kontrol 61s MK 2, Spectrasonics Ominisphere, Superior Drummer, BFD3, Ozone 7, Altiverb, Sound Toys, Waves, Final Cut X. PT 11.
Klaus

Post by Klaus »

...and merge includes 'pitch'
Klaus
magicd

Post by magicd »

waxman wrote:I use Merge to make all my stems. My thought is whoever is doing a mix should not be saddled with my decisions. So just fades is all I put in the merge files. I did not know that merge file wrote the automation to the stem. I knew it did bite gain, fades and mutes... is that correct?
Merge does not include track automation.

Dave