Whats your way to export all audio tracks into separate file

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
rockman413
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Whats your way to export all audio tracks into separate file

Post by rockman413 »

Hi there,
If you have 100 audio tracks in DP, What's your best way to export them as separate audio files?
(then perhaps ready to import into Pro Tools)
macbook pro 10.10, 2.5G,16G ram,256G SSD
magicd

Re: Whats your way to export all audio tracks into separate

Post by magicd »

Select All in the Tracks window.

Merge Soundbites from the Audio menu.

Go to the Project folder>Audio Files and view by date. The newly created audio files will be at the top of the list and ready to import to any other DAW.

Dave
Todzilla
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by Todzilla »

Why didn't I think of that earlier?

Not quite as convenient as some other DAWs, but that'll work pretty well!

Thanks, Dave
-Todzilla
Huge sound generation & capture facilities
On the banks of the River Eno
DP 8!!!, OSX 10.7.3, 15" MacBook Pro w 16G RAM 256G SSD & 630GHD, MOTU 896HD, MX4, Komplete 8, Apogee Symphony I/O, Neumann U-89, pair of Peluso P12s, Seventh Circle & Demeter preamps, Lava lamp, stuffed frog playing bongos
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

I'd add one step-- which is kind of a fail-safe--

For all tracks that don't start right at the beginning, I record a moment of silence at the top-- that way when I merge them, they all start at the beginning. When someone else imports them, they won't have to worry about start times.

Though it adds to the size of the files, the silence that is added to the tracks does not impact the size of the files after they are zipped.

There may be a trick to merge that will do this automatically (without having to record some nothing at the beginning), but I haven't learned it.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

stubbsonic wrote:I'd add one step-- which is kind of a fail-safe--
Don't know if you meant actually recording silence, but a small simplification is to create a new audio file in the soundbite window (which will be silent) and add that to the start of each track.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

That works. It can be quicker to record enable all the tracks that need it and record for a split second, This is faster than pasting in a single mono s.b. then a single stereo s.b.

I will often check the resulting tracks and delete unused soundbites before archiving.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

Tritonemusic

Post by Tritonemusic »

stubbsonic wrote:I'd add one step-- which is kind of a fail-safe--

For all tracks that don't start right at the beginning, I record a moment of silence at the top-- that way when I merge them, they all start at the beginning.
I don't find this step to be necessary if you "Select All", like mentioned in the first reply. It automatically selects from the beginning of the Sequence, as it is.
DP 10.13, OS 13.6, iMac Pro (2017) 3.2 GHz 8-Core, 32 GB RAM, MOTU M4
magicd

Post by magicd »

stubbsonic wrote:That works. It can be quicker to record enable all the tracks that need it and record for a split second, This is faster than pasting in a single mono s.b. then a single stereo s.b.

I will often check the resulting tracks and delete unused soundbites before archiving.
I don't remember the DP version but long ago you did have to have audio at the start of the Merge selection in order to create audio back to the start of the sequence. You don't need to do that now. Select-all should create a selection from the start of the sequence regardless of whether there is actual audio at the start.

Dave
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

Ah! That's so good to know. I guess I just did it out of habit.

Just confirmed that it works in DP 8.

I will remember that.

rockman413

Post by rockman413 »

So from what's here, the best is magicd 's way , the merge way is the best?
buzzsmith

Post by buzzsmith »

rockman413 wrote:So from what's here, the best is magicd 's way , the merge way is the best?
Since MagicDave is with MOTU, I would place his suggestion pretty high up on the list!

Buzzy
Early 2009 Mac Pro 4,1>5,1 3.33 GHz Hex Core Intel Xeon OS X 10.8.5 SSD (32 gigs RAM)
DP 9.51 PCI-424e / original 2408, 2408mkII, 24I/O, MTP-AV

Yamaha C7 Conservatory Grand
Hammond B-3 / Leslie 145
Focal Twin6 Be(s)

Killahurts

Post by Killahurts »

rockman413 wrote:So from what's here, the best is magicd 's way , the merge way is the best?
Yes it is, I use it and love it every day. Unlike bounce to disk or track freeze, merge doesn't go through the mixing desk, so none of the plugins and faders get written.. but it does include pitch automation and fades/edits. It's the perfect way to consolidate a heavily pitch-edited track into a nice clean audio file, because the resulting audio is "in place" on the track, so nothing changes.

I also use it to bounce out un-effected, raw stems for others who will be using the tracks I record here. If the project is to a click track/tempo, I will write the measure number it should be dropped in at, into the track name before I merge (and merge from that measure). That way I don't have to go from the beginning with every track. The track name is the name the merge will have, so like Magic Dave said, you can go into soundbites window when you are done with the merge and export them all at once, without renaming.
DP11, 2019 16-Core Mac Pro, Monterey, 64GB RAM. RME HDSPe MADI FX to SSL Alphalink to SSL Matrix console, and multiple digital sub consoles. UAD Quad PCIe. Outboard stuff.
rockman413

Post by rockman413 »

So I recorded a bunch of soundbites, I merge them and new soundbites are generated. I can reveal them in finder then I got the .wav files and ready to import into Pro Tools. I can also select them and export them into wav files, am I getting the same files? Would export audio change anything ? Is it better to just reveal them in finder and copy them?
Killahurts

Post by Killahurts »

rockman413 wrote:So I recorded a bunch of soundbites, I merge them and new soundbites are generated. I can reveal them in finder then I got the .wav files and ready to import into Pro Tools. I can also select them and export them into wav files, am I getting the same files? Would export audio change anything ? Is it better to just reveal them in finder and copy them?
The only difference would be if you want to change the type of files generated. Like say you recorded in Broadcast Wave interleaved, but you wanted to import into PT as deinterleaved, or AIFF, etc.

I always export out of the soundbites window, even if it's the same file type.. I guess I don't have a particularly good reason for that :wink:
DP11, 2019 16-Core Mac Pro, Monterey, 64GB RAM. RME HDSPe MADI FX to SSL Alphalink to SSL Matrix console, and multiple digital sub consoles. UAD Quad PCIe. Outboard stuff.
buzzsmith

Post by buzzsmith »

Killahurts wrote:
I always export out of the soundbites window, even if it's the same file type.. I guess I don't have a particularly good reason for that :wink:
That's been my MO, too. The only downside was (as I recall) one had to select just the mono tracks or just the stereo tracks as the pre-export window seems to only give a non-interleaved or interleaved choice per export.

Buzzy

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Early 2009 Mac Pro 4,1>5,1 3.33 GHz Hex Core Intel Xeon OS X 10.8.5 SSD (32 gigs RAM)
DP 9.51 PCI-424e / original 2408, 2408mkII, 24I/O, MTP-AV

Yamaha C7 Conservatory Grand
Hammond B-3 / Leslie 145
Focal Twin6 Be(s)