Batch Process MIDI CC Data

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
eoinrussell
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by eoinrussell »

I want to take hundreds of MIDI files and modify all of the CC 64 data. Obviously, it would be nice to do this in a batch process.

I want to take all CC64 values of 127 and reduce them, say to 120. Or even better, make them ramp a few milliseconds before and after in and out of the 127 value.

I have a Diskalvier and it uses continuous data from 0 to 127 for the CC64 pedal movement, It makes for smooth pedal movements. When the CC64 value goes from 0 to 127 immediately (like when people record MIDI files with a MIDI sustain pedal) it makes the pedal mechanism go 'clunk'. Which disturbs the performance. It seems I can bump the 127 down to 120 and the pedal doesn't clunk and I still get the sustain - just have to clear the strings and I've got headroom to do so in the the through of the pedal/servo mechanism.

This site: http://www.kuhmann.com/Yamaha.htm. is packed with great, free Disklavier performances but some of the files have all or nothing sustain pedal data.

I can do this by hand but that is pretty tedious. Any ideas for an automated way to modify all CC64 127 values in a batch process?
buzzsmith
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by buzzsmith »

I just tried this.

If you could get them all into 1 DP file and then select all, set the range (from the beginning to the end of the longest) and then Region>Change Continuous Data.

Top right of the Change Continuos Data is the controller that you want to affect.

If not already set, set to 64.

Then you can "add" a value of -7 to all values.

Make sure that the Randomize button is unchecked.

Hope this helps.

Buzzy

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Early 2009 Mac Pro 4,1>5,1 3.33 GHz Hex Core Intel Xeon OS X 10.8.5 SSD (32 gigs RAM)
DP 9.51 PCI-424e / original 2408, 2408mkII, 24I/O, MTP-AV

Yamaha C7 Conservatory Grand
Hammond B-3 / Leslie 145
Focal Twin6 Be(s)

eoinrussell

Re: Batch Process MIDI CC Data

Post by eoinrussell »

Understood, thanks. This method doesn't really solve the manual labor issue though. I've tried configuring Automator but it took way to much effort to get something that still didn't work.
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

Can you simply scale the CC64 Data with a MIDI Plugin in DP?
buzzsmith

Post by buzzsmith »

eoinrussell wrote:Understood, thanks. This method doesn't really solve the manual labor issue though. I've tried configuring Automator but it took way to much effort to get something that still didn't work.
Maybe I'm not understanding.

If you select an entire piano MIDI file, or multiples, the Change Continuous Data does every CC64 instantly. You only have to enter the preferred value once.

Buzzy
Early 2009 Mac Pro 4,1>5,1 3.33 GHz Hex Core Intel Xeon OS X 10.8.5 SSD (32 gigs RAM)
DP 9.51 PCI-424e / original 2408, 2408mkII, 24I/O, MTP-AV

Yamaha C7 Conservatory Grand
Hammond B-3 / Leslie 145
Focal Twin6 Be(s)

eoinrussell

Post by eoinrussell »

Yes, correct. I only have to change CC64 once, for every file. That I know how to do. I want to batch change hundreds of files. So I'd love to not do it one by one. Or am I missing a technique to import all the files, change CC and export them all in a few actions instead of doing each file one at a time?
Greg Magee

Post by Greg Magee »

This might work for you. I haven't tested it and would probably only change existing data and ramps. If you wanted to insert your own ramps you'd need to incorporate using clippings with something like Keyboard Maestro. In any case, deadlines looming.

1. Open DP and create a Blank Project
2. Open the Chunks Window - Shift-C
3. Drag and drop all of your MIDI files into the Chunks window
4. Open the Search command from Edit menu Ctrl-S
5. Create a search for All time that searches for a Controller number 64
and a Controller value of between 100 and 127
6. Leave the action dropdown on create a new selection and check the box 'Search in all sequences" and hit search
7. Select change continuous data from the region menu and specify controller 64 and enter a value like -7 in the 'Add' field. (That way if there's a ramp already there it will reduce it from a max point of 127 (clunk!) to a max of 120 (not so clunk!)

Hope it helps

Greg
eoinrussell

Post by eoinrussell »

Great suggestion!

Unfortunately, the Action can not be set to 'create selection' when 'search in all sequences' is selected. Looks like I'll have to resort to Python.

Thanks for the help.